The River Lee and the Lee
Navigation flow southwards to the River Thames. The Small River Lee flows west
Post to the north Wormley
Post to the west Turnford
Post to the south Holyfield Lake
180 acre Lake
which is the largest of the lake formed from gravel pits in the Lee Valley, It has
wooded islands where Cormorants roost and other birds breed. It covers much of what was Nazeing Marsh
Weir Hide reached via Goosefield where there are shallow pools.
The Flood Relief channel flows
through the lake and emerges on the southern edge
Holyfield Fisheries Bottom Lake. Specimen
Holyfield Fisheries Top Lake has islands
with mature trees.
Holyfield Fisheries Match Lake
Holyfield Weir. Computer controlled
outflow into the Flood Relief channel.
Green Sailing Club. A Division of the
Civil Service Sailing Association and over 40 years old
Old River Lee
River Lee Navigation
The Navigation passes over the
Small River Lea on an aqueduct. This was built by a Mr. Cooper in 1768. When
the Waltham Cut was built in 1767, the canal was planned to be built on an
embankment from downstream from Kings Weir. There was a need for flow of the
Small River Lea to be safeguarded for millers but it needed to be crossed by
the Navigation, hence the aqueduct. It was originally called Cheshunt Aqueduct
Aqueduct Lock. Built 1768 and
rebuilt 1922. It was built by a Mr. Cooper
Lock House – a new house was built
in 1895. This was burnt down in 1975 and
its site is marked by the foundations among weed growth south of the weir
keeper’s house. Its bricks were used to build a new lock house at Dobbs Weir.
Cottage for the weir keeper of the
weir which controls the Small River Lea at Aqueduct Lock
Small River Lee
This leaves the Old River Lea and
passes under the Navigation flowing south west.