Thames Tributary River Lee
The Lee Navigation turns south
west. The Nazeing Brook flows west towards the River Lee
Post to the north Nazeing Meads
Post to the west Broxbourne Mill
Post to the east Middle Street
Post to the south Payne's Lane
A flood channel separate from but
roughly parallel to Broxbourne Mill Stream, the River Lee. It is not a man-made channel, although it may
have been improved.
Carthegena Lock. Built 1767, Rebuilt
1827 and 1922. It was originally built
as a turnpike flash lock in 1741 and rebuilt as a pound lock in 1767 or 1768 in
Lock house rebuilt in 1827. Without a pigsty .rebuilt again in 1936.
Carthagena – the name is to
commemorate a battle in the War of Jenkins' Ear and the defeat of Admiral
Vernon and the British Navy when they retired from the siege of Cartagena in
Spanish Columbia 1741.
Carthegena Weir. The weir is
adjacent to the lock and is part of the Cartagena Fishery
Carthegena Weir pool. There is a spill weir and bridge.
The area is stocked with fish
Syndicate Lake. This is a 7 acre gravel pit dug
in the mid 1940's. It was stocked with carp in
Broxbourne Airfield. This lay on
the north side of the road in the area now covered by a trading estate area.
This was set up as a recreational pursuit by the teenage Frogley brothers, on
some of their father’s land – this was the Herts and Essex Aero Club. In due
course a small clubhouse was built. The airfield
was opened with an Air Display in 1931, and as time went on workshops and
hangars were built and people were employed. The London Buses (Central Buses)
Sports Association Flying Club also had a clubhouse on site. Aircraft were
designed, tested and built here. Before
the Second World War a Civil Air Guard was trained here and on declaration of
war it was taken over by the Ministry of Aircraft Production. It closed in 1954
and the area given over to gravel extraction.
Private road with acres of
Old Nazeing Road
1 this house was Monty’s Café used
by aircraft staff in the Second World War.