Parndon Brook Tributary to the River Stort
Parndon Brook rises in this area
and flows north east towards the Stort
Post to the east Great Parndon
New Frontiers Science Park
Research Area. Opened as a Smith Kline
pharmaceutical research centre in 1997, merging with Glaxo in 2000.
Old House Lane
farmhouse. 17th house including remains of an earlier building.
Timber framed and plastered
The Imperial Brick Works was sited
at Old House Farm in the 19th. There were also 12 cottages and 4
kilns. In 1898 it was reopened as the Roydon Brick and Tile Works, which was in
site until c. 1906.
Barn, 17th, timber
framed and weather boarded
built pre-Second World War
Four Acre Nursery – greenhouses,
boiler house, water tanks, etc
Game Farm Nursery
Brickfield Wood – presumably associated
with the Imperial Brick Works
Harold’s Grove. This is
ancient woodland, with boundary ditches. It includes coppiced Hornbeam, plus Ash,
Hawthorn, Maple, Oak, Hazel and Crab Apple. A large ancient oak stands on the
Harlow/Roydon border and a hedgerow with another oak forms part of the
boundary. The name has been associated as part of the estate of King Harold
Godwin pre Conquest.
Parndon Brook is alongside it.