Thames Tributary River Stort
The Stort continues to flow westwards
and is joined by Canons Brook from the south west
Post to the east Burnt Mill
Posr to the south Colt Hatch
Eastwick Church Lane
St.Botolph's Church. Built in knapped flint with limestone dressings. Rebuilt in
1872 by A W Blomfield at the expense of the Hodgsons.
He rebuilt the 13th chancel also arch using the original materials -
Pevsner says it was astonishingly ambitious piece of 13th design. The battlemented
tower was kept with its gargoyles. It has an open timber porch with decorative
cast iron foot scrapers outside. Inside is what is said to be the oldest effigy
in the county is with complete chain mail and coat of arms, also some wall monuments
Churchyard. The Hodgson brothers are buried here.
Eastwick Hall Lane
The road now runs to the A414 and
terminates. It would once have run to Eastwick Mill on the river, demolished in
the 18th, and to Mead End House, also demolished. Eastwick Village
and its Manor were originally considerably to the north of the current site.
Eastwick Manor, this was the Rectory and has 1826 carved on a brick. Includes stables
War memorial - To
the glory of God and in proud and grateful
memory of this parish to those who fell in the Great War 1914 - 1918
The Lion. This pub was built as a house and has. '1852' on a date stone. It is one of the farm house designs provided
for estate owner John Hodgson possibly designed by Philip Hardwick. It is thus
red brick house which was an inn in 1914 built as the
farmhouse of Green Man Farm,
Green Man Court – the farm buildings once
attached to the pub when it was a farm.
63 – 64 houses from 1872 with 'IH' on the gable
stands for estate owner John Hodgson.
76 -77 houses with on the gable. '1861' 'IH'
thus built for John Hodgson, lord of the manor. Red brick, estate houses,
Manor cottages. Built on a bomb site.
House in a conversion of a school building.
This was a teacher’s house, and a classroom. Built in the 19th for
the Hodgsons with “WH” and the date over the entrance. It was used as the Pyrgo Works as a metal
works owned by Smith & Shiptons, doing sub-contract work for Fords. Later
became a lawnmower repair shop.
66, 68, 70 Almshouses from the 19th
built for the Gilston Estate. Designed to give the appearance of a large
medieval hall house
Culverts. House from 1700. Red brick house
facing which a culvert carries the brook.
62 17th house with 19th additions. Timber
framed house surviving from the rebuilding of the village
Parndon Mill Lane
The road is the last remains of a new
road built in 1646 by Arthur Turnor to replace another road, which he closed,
to the west.
Parndon Mill. This is a 19th mill in yellow brick. There are
remains of lucams, a chimney and sluices. Since the 1960s it has been used by
artists and there are studios and workshops. This is a Domesday site. The mill was
burnt down in 1897 and rebuilt 1900. A Francis horizontal turbine was installed
in 1904 but ceased work in 1960, and this remains. It was then used for animal
feed and coal and in 1968 taken over as a pottery. The mill was renovated as a
series of studios and in 2004 a gallery and shop was added.
Parndon Mill House. 18th house in brick rendered
Lock. A turf sided lock was built in 1766 and replaced with concrete
Sculpture “Flowing Onwards" Inspired by the canal engineer,
Thomas Yeoman’s speech in October 1769, at the opening of the Stort navigation
St.Mary's Church. Small flint rubble church with a belfry, and timber porch,
and was built in 1868. The previous church, on the same site, was a very small building.
The current church, designed by Joseph Clarke, diocesan architect, was paid for
by L. W. Arkwright. Some fittings from the old church survive inside.
Churchyard - The grave of Hester Woodley the Parsons'
black servant, has a headstone by the south door.