The brook flows westwards to the
Lee and is joined by a tributary from the south
TL 40808 05070
Countryside area on the edge of Broxbourne and the Lea Valley with ancient farms. It was however on the North London stop line.
Post to the north Hoe Lane
Post to the east Nazeing House
Post to the west Perry Hill
This is an ancient name for the
area and may suggest a village in a woodland clearing.
Original site of the Nazeing Gate
to the forest was at the crossroads
School House - built by the School
Board in 1877. This closed and was used
as a youth centre, which has also now closed.
Williams steel turret which is now in the Duxford
Museum. It was removed by Royal
Engineers from opposite the school. It defended the junction of the
Nazeing-Broadley Common road and was part of the North London Stop
Line. The turret was developed for the
British anti-invasion ground defence system in 1940. It was made from curved
steel plates welded into a dome made to cover a circular pit four feet deep and
lined with steel. The turret could rotate through 360 °. There were also two
Nazeing Telephone Exchange
Nazeing Congregational Church. Built 1816 by Charles Hollingsworth on land
which was sold to the Trustees of Cheshunt College, where ministers were
trained. It was built of wood with a brick front.
Darmers, 15th open hall house, Timber
framed and plastered, with
frame exposed outside. Stables are 18th timber framed, weather boarded and
Nazeing Common Road
Nazeing Leisure Centre. A
football pitch and a hut.
Harold’s Park Farm. It is thought
by some people that the farm is on the site of the Royal hunting lodge of
Harold, last of the Saxon kings of England. There are also claims that Harold
built a tunnel from the site to Waltham Abbey (5 miles away)
Warwick House. This was once
known as Coburg Cottage.
British History online. Nazeing. Web site
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Nazeing Congregational Church. Web site
Pill Box Study Group. Web site