Thames Tributary River Lee
The Lee flows south east and is met by the River Stort and the Stort Navigation.
The River Stort flows south west to meet the Lea have met the Stort Navigation which had been separate from it. It is met by the Toll House Stream flowing from the north
The Flood Relief Channel begins at Feilde’s Lock.
Post to the west Rye House
Post to the south Netherhall
Feilde’s Weir Lock. This stands at the point at which the Stort and Lee meet. A weir named for Mr. Field and Mr, Archer existed in 1725 and Feilde’s Weir Lock was built in 1767 and rebuilt in 1922. Its construction set off work on the Lee Navigation. The spelling of Field and Feilde has varied over the years and a number of men with names with either spelling were active in work on the navigation at the right time. A lock house was renewed in 1883 but the old lock house remained beside it and was still there in the 1920s
A loop in the Stort as it approaches the lock was straightened out in the 1970s. The line of the original towpath is marked by the line of the fence.
The Essex/Hertfordshire boundary follows the course of the river
The river now runs through the lake in the Roydon Mill Leisure Complex. This is an old gravel pit
The Stort Navigation was completed in 1769, when the River Stort was canalised to provide a route from Bishop's Stortford to the Thames, carrying grain, wood, and coal and building materials.
Lower Lock, near gravel pits and just above the point at which the navigation joins the natural river Stort. It was built as a turf side lock in 1766 and rebuilt in brick and concrete in 1913.
Feilde’s Weir. Just below junction of Stort and Lea. Present weir and sluice to flood relief channel are modern. Lock has cast iron bridge
Rye Meads sewage works lagoons
Those south of Rye Road still used by Thames Water