Nazeing Brook - Betts Lane
Tributaries to the brook rise in this area and flow south and west towards it
TL 41375 06526
Country side area with scattered farms and small holdings in what is still a market gardening area.
Post to the south Belchers Lane
Post to the east Hoe Lane
Profits Hill Cottages. 18th in red brick
Pond House. 15th open hall house, timber framed and plastered with weather boarded dado
Brevitts farmhouse. 18th red brick house with the initials 'T.B.' in dark brick on the front.
Big pond on the corner with the common
Telephone kiosk. Type K6. Designed 1935 by Sir Giles Gilbert Scott.
All Saints. The Nazeing Parish church which sits on rising ground. It is known there was a church before this building was constructed and that it was probably on the site of the current nave. This dates from the 1170s and from shortly after was serviced from Waltham Abbey. Extensive changes were made in the late 15th .It was ‘restored’ in 19th. It is of flint rubble with a red brick tower from which a spire was removed in 1899.
Church School. In 1855 a school was built near the church on a site provided by the lord of the manor. A new board school was opened in elsewhere in 1877 the church school was closed. However in 1890 it was re-opened for children from Broadley Common. However again numbers fell and in 1947 the school it was again closed. It is now used as housing.
Old Vicarage. Probably built in the late 15th. In 1956 it was replaced and is now two housing units.
Windmill – this was a post mill in place 1802-1875
Vine, Heather and Clematis Cottages – as one building this was a School of Industry established in 1790s. It was given by the Square William Palmer to the vestry and they used it as the poor house. Converted into three in the mid 19th.
Church Cottage. 18th house in red brick
Longyard Cottage. 16th with 18th alterations. Timber framed and plastered there is a carved date "W. R. 1740".
Lane across the park
Old Post Office. This is an open hall house on a moated site. It is 15th or 16th, timber-framed and weather boarded and was once known as Moat Farm. It has been suggested that it was built on the site of a defunct vicarage.
Nazeing Common Road
Nazeing Common Cricket Ground. Dates from 1891.
All Saints Church. Web site
Nazeing History Workshop
Pevsner and Cherry. Essex
Victoria History of Essex