Small River Lee - Cheshunt
The Small River Lee is met by the Turnford Brook which has been joined by Rags Brook from the south and together they flow eastwards to the River Lee
TL 36578 03782
Suburban area alongside a tributary to the Lea but near the main river and the navigation. Gravel pits now used for leisure fishing, and other waterside activities.
Post to the north Turnford
Post to the west Cheshunt
Post to the east Seventy Acre Lake
Post to the south Cheshunt
Cheshunt High Street
The Old Anchor Pub with a massive anchor in the car park
Until the 19th this area of confluence of Turnford and Rags brooks was often impassable with flood waters. It has been suggested that the area was a Roman centre called Durolitum; on the basis of Roman coins found here.
St Clement Church of England. Built 1898 on land donated by John Earley Cook of Nunsbury on part of the old nunnery grounds.
St. Clement Junior School built slightly before the church in 1893 which is alongside it.
Churchfield C of E Junior School has replaced St.Clement Junior School and Mayfield Infant School
Mill Lane Chapel, run by the Brethren in 19th Mission building
Brookland Infant Schools
Brookland Junior School
Lakes and old gravel workings
North Metropolitan Pit. Known as Northmetpit and evacuated in the 1940s for gravel. The rights to angling were held by the North Metropolitan Electric Company
Nightingale wood. Large block of woodland with many birds. A rare musk beetle is also found there. Circle of trees near Cadmore Lane
Led to a mill mentioned in Domesday and closed in 1804 when the water rights were purchased on behalf of Waltham Abbey Mills. It was considered in 1811 as a possible site by the Royal Ordnance for a replacement works for the Lewisham small arms manufactory but was rejected on the adviuce of John Rennie in favour of Enfield. It was said to have been owned by Hall's of Dartford.
The Nightleys Public Open Space, reclaimed gravel pit.
Turnford Secondary School. Secondary school and specialist sports college.
Thomas Rochford Way
Rochford’s was one of the largest nurseries in the district and moved here from Tottenham and built on the area of Turnford Hall. They employed sixty men and boys in 1895. It was famous for its black grapes: each vine house producing eight tons a year. After 1945 Rochford's were world leaders in house plants
British History online. Cheshunt. Web site
Churchfield School. Web site
Lewis. Lea Valley Industrial History. Market Gardens
Old Anchor. Web site
St.Clement Church. Web site
Turnford Secondary School. Web site