Turkey Brook - Forty Hall
Turkey Brook flows south eastwards
Post to the west Enfield
Post to the east Maiden's Bridge
Post to the north Whitewebbs
Baker Street467 Eliza House. A care home once known as Enfield House. The initials ‘JFR 1880’ on the building indicate John Frederick Ridler, a local butcher after whom Ridler Road, adjacent, is named.
The Old Course of the New River at the foot of Clay Hill, where it meets Forty Hill and where there was a pool
This is a triangular open space at the junction of Baker Street, Carterhatch Lane, and Forty Hill. It is probably named for a Richard atte Forteye had an estate here in the 14th. A number of grand houses were built around the green from the 16th including Garretts Place for Samuel Starling, the White House, Brigadier Hall for William Bridger, and Adelaide House. While these have been demolished others remain with addresses in Forty Hill
Grounds. There is a garden with lilac and limes and landscaped grounds, with a cedar on the lawn. A pair of lime avenues frames a view of the house, and there are substantial water features.
Elsyng Hall. It had been thought that Elsyng Manor House had been on a different site from the later Royal Palace of Elsyng, but it is now know they were the same since the remains of a timber-framed building were under the brick structure. The house was rebuilt by Sir Thomas Lovell, Speaker and Chancellor of the Exchequer, on a grand scale. It was in the area of the lime avenue. It was used as a royal residence from c. 1540 and rebuilt on very considerable scale. Elizabeth lived there when her accession was announced in 1547 and returned to stay there occasionally. It was demolished after 1656 and after the building of Forty Hall. The area includes that of the Manor or Worcesters in the same ownership.
Forty Hall. A mansion of red brick, built for Nicholas Raynton, Haberdasher and Lord Mayor of London, 1632. 1629 is given as the date inside. The Arms of the Bowles family are in a staircase window. The last owner was Banks who sold it to Enfield for a museum - and they opened the gardens and the walk down to the house in 1962 and restored the house as a Museum of Local Antiquities. Over the kitchen is a room with 17th panelling. The service court brick buildings are 17th but have been changed into a restaurant. Both fronts have substantial wooden porches. In between the rooms is a grand 19th stair which must be on the site of the 17th one but arranged differently. The Raynton Room was sited in the 18th cross-passage.
Cedar of Lebanon in front of the house may have been part of Nicholas Raynton’s landscaping.
Forty Hall Farm. Tenanted by Capel Manor College.
Garden Building. A small building in the corner of the farm courtyard appears to be contemporary with the wall. It may have been a warrener's cottage with a large window overlooking the Warren.
Barns belonging to the Farm, 17th timber framed, weather boarded barn and another across the courtyard
Farm Wall. Lengths of 17th red brick wall
Bullock Shed. An 18th timber-framed open sided shelter for livestock.
Barn and a shed from the 19th outside the courtyard, but part of the home farm complex.
Bothy - A small building 19th building in the Rick Yard.
Saw mill built 1895-1911
Farm cottages built in the 1950s
Warren - A field with this name was west of the main buildings
Kitchen Garden to the south-west of the house enclosed by a brick wall
Pond to the north of the house dating from the late 17th. There was a nearby viewing mound and plantings and shrybberies.
Raised walk - there are remains of raised walks throughout the site and in particular in the area of the ferme orne and also of paths into the estate
Forty Hall vineyard, planted on two large, south-facing fields at the top of Forty Hill
Continuation of Green Lane – and was a drove road into London. There was a hamlet here in the 16th and by the 18th its elevated position attracted gentry.
29 Dower House and Atherton House 17th altered in the 18th. In Red brick and now two houses. This was part of the Forty Hall Estate until 1787. A panelled room inside has a painting of c. 1600. Old garden walls 18th in red brick with two stone coped gate piers
70 -76 Cottage Place terrace of 1833 cottages in Yellow brick there is a Plaque on the centre one is "COTTAGE PLACE 1833". Faced a little green. .
78 Hermitage. House of 1704. Front rooms with original panelling. Weather boarded timber-framed outbuildings attached. Forecourt and garden walls from the 18th in red brick walls with small iron gate. Stable building timber-framed weather boarded
Bridge House. A purpose built care home replacing an older house.
Canister Lodge. Is said to have some resemblance to a tea canister. 19th stuccoed thin building with four giant arches on the frontage.
Chimneys Lodge. This is the old Goat Inn. Much half timbering on a ‘Tudor; pub built 1932. It replaced a 17th or older pub. A garden area is on the site of agravel quarry.
Clock House. A 19th stuccoed house right on the road.
Clock House Nursery. Set up in 1928
Elsynge House and Elsynge cottage. House built in several periods, now divided into two.
Forty Hall Entrance has 18th stone gate piers with swags, all in brick carrying obelisks and balls, flanked by battlemented walls, which look towards c18.
Forty Hall Lodge half-timbered 1903. It replaced a lodge on the same site.
Forty Hill House. Large 19th house in yellow brick with a stone coped parapet concealing the roof.
Gates. At the bottom of the hill are a set of gates to a house which has now gone. This was Pattensware, Gough Park home of writer Richard Gough until 1809. In 1860 when the course of the New River was changed the gates were moved here so that some of the old river could be included in the estate. In 1899 the house was demolished
Goat Tavern was on the corner of Goat Lane, opposite Worcesters Lodge, until replaced by another pub of the same name to the south.
Longbourne. Stucco building from the 18th. It has also been called The Elms. 18th red brick wall with iron railings.
Sparrow Hall, 18th house altered in the 19th.
Waltham Cottage, 18th villa in dark brick
Worcesters Lodge, 18th house in red brick
A few cottages remain.
Worcesters Primary School, established in 1954
The Old Course of the New River Ran through the gardens of Pattensware, now demolished
New River, the old course crosses Turkey Brook and disappears at the junction of Clay Hill and Forty Hill. It has been built on over some of the length to the current course.
Old Forge Road
A forge once stood at the Forty Lane junction
Bridgen Hall. This is at the junction of Hallside Road. It was the home of William Bridgen, Lord Mayor of London in 1764.