Turkey Brook - Cuffley Brook - Whitewebbs Park
The Cuffley Brook flows south east and joins the Turkey Brook from the south. As Turkey Brook then flows eastwards it is sometimes known as Maiden Brook
Post to the north Whitewebbs
Post to the south Enfield
Post to the west Whitewebbs
Post to the east Whitewebbs
The name comes from a ‘flash’ on Cuffley Brook installed to be tapped to fill the New River if needed. The lane runs on the line of the eastern boundary of Enfield Chase
Cast iron Aqueduct. This is a two-span, cast-iron trough on brick piers. It was built 1821 to carry the New River over the Cuffley Brook and to bypass the end of the loop. The ironwork was cast by Hunter and English of Bow.
The Cot. This was originally a chapel and school built for people in the area by the building of which was in part financed by the owner of Claysmore House, Mr J. W. Bosanquet. He was the founder of the Protestant Association, established to counter the Oxford Movement,
The original course of the New River ran westwards through Whitewebbs Park as far as the lake, and then turned south eastwards to cross what is now Flash Lane.
Lake. The owner of Claysmore House in the 19th, Edmund Harman, bought a loop of the old course of the New River and wanted to make a lake of it and the Cuffley Brook. The cast iron aqueduct in Flash Lane was built to achieve this
Cuffley Brook. As the brook leaves the lake in the water is the remains of a stone trough– this was built by Robert Mylne built in 1775 to replace the timber ‘flash’ aqueduct which took the brook over the New River and which had been built by Myddleton on the original old course.
Iron marker. North of the lake with 'NR Co.' on it
Bridge at the west end of the lake. This is a 19th ornamental footbridge of multi-coloured bricks laid unevenly for a ‘rustic’ effect.
The stream from the north used to carry water from Whitewebbs Pumping Station but it is on private land.
The land was part of Enfield Chase, but previously common land. It was given by Elizabeth I in 1570 to her physician, Dr Huicks, plus Whitewebbs House. After the house was demolished in the late 18th the estate was bought an agricultural innovator, Dr Abraham Wilkinson. In 1931 the estate was bought from Sir Duncan Orr-Lewis by Enfield Urban District Council and Middlesex County Council and made into the public golf course. In 1955 the district council acquired the estate to form Whitewebbs Park
A house called Whitewebbs was in the area by the 16th owned by Robert Huicke the doctor who built a conduit for water supply to his it. This house was later associated with the Gunpowder Plot since Guy Fawkes visited there the night before the plot. It then had a succession of owners. It eventually passed to the Garnault family and then Henry Bowles, after which it was demolished. It is said to have been near Myddelton House possibly on the site of the current Guy Lodge.
Whitewebbs House. An estate called Whitewebbs farm was bought by Dr. Abraham Wilkinson, in the early 19th. He built the core of the existing house in 1791, which became known as Wilkinson’s Woods. It was later enlarged by Charles Stuart Robertson for Henry Cox Wilkinson as a dressed up French Chateau. It was bought by Lady Meux in in 1904 and Frederick Orr Lewis in 1911. By then it stood in 40 acres, had 40 rooms and its own electric generator. In the 1930s it was used as a Middlesex County Council old people’s home for 70 old men. They had a bowling green in the grounds and could look at the Middlesex County Council Golf Course, next door ‘giving them an attractive outlook’. It is now a Toby Carvery
Whitewebbs Golf Club – the club house is to the south
North Lodge - Victorian Gothic building
Conduit house. Remains from 16th
Weir on the old course of the New River in a Shrubbery west of the golf course.
Tree lined ditch. Marks the line of the old course of the New River
Whitewebbs Wood. Modified ancient woodland in a corner of Whitewebbs Park. The wood lies on clay acidic soil on a South facing slope. Dominant species are coppiced oak and hornbeam plies alder, mature and ash with some wild service tree.
Filter bed for sewage
Congregational Chapel. Registered in 1861 by the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion. This closed in 1959 but the site is identifiable west of the King and Tinker pub.