Turkey Brook - Chase Farm
Turkey Brook flows south and east and is met by the Comreddy Gutter from the south
TQ 31247 98095
Suburban area to the north of Enfield, turning into countryside, but with some major sites for public facilities
Post to the south Gordon Hill
The road was laid out with the cemetery and originally called Cedar Road
Lavender Hill Cemetery. Lavender Hill Burial Board was set up in 1871 and the 9-acre opened in 1872on one of the least valuable plots of land owned by the parish. Sited at the top of Lavender Hill, Named for the lavender that was once grown in this area, it has some good views. The layout includes mature conifers, with early monuments at the junctions of paths – its original planning and the layout of serpentine walks and roads remains. It has been enlarged since opening. There is a lodge at the entrance with iron gates which were designed by T.J. Hill for the Burial Board and they are listed. Also listed is the Anglican cemetery chapel one of the two Identical ‘mirror-image chapels also by Hill with a tower and steeple. The non-conformist chapel has been used as a store and has an attached urinal. There are graves from including the Royal Air Force, the Royal Navy, and the Royal Naval Air Service. Second World War graves include a Canadian.
The road name dates back at least to the mid-16th. The road runs along a narrow ridge with the valleys of the two brooks on either side.
Fallow Buck pub. 17th building. Weather boarded and partly rendered. In 1765 the landlord was William Crew, in his late 70s and recently discharged from gaol. He lived to be 104.
Row of evergreen oaks opposite the pub
220-224 built in the 1960s on the site of Hill Lodge. This was the home of Roland Macdonald Stephenson, an engineer specialising in sewerage and water supplies. It was later used by the Enfield Riding Club and a Dutch barn was converted into a gym, it had been fitted out previously for cock fighting.
Elm Tree kennels
Hilly Fields Park
Hilly Fields Park – this square covers the western section only. The Park was once part of Park Farm. In 1909 it was bought by the Enfield Council to stop development,
Bronze Age mound
Rendelsham railway viaduct. It carries the double track Great Northern Railway over the Turkey Brook on its Hertford line. It has fourteen arches built 1907-10 of concrete with brick facing
Moorhatch Gate. This was a gate to Enfield Chase and was the road led to it.
1 St John the Baptist’s Church. Built 1860 by James Piers St. Aubin with, inside, stained glass by Heaton, Butler and Bayne. The church is in yellow brick with red and blue brick decoration. James Whatman Bosanquet partly financed the building but then fell out with the vicar over Anglo Catholic fittings and practices in the church – leading to scuffles, etc. The local magistrates siding with him against the vicar. There was a major row during the funeral of a child. The church was closed for a while despite crowds of locals turning up in the hope of witmessing a fight. It reopened on Christmas Day 1859 when there was a fight during the service. There is a lynch gate and a modern parish room to the rear.
Memorial stone and drinking trough. The inscription says Donated to the Drinking Fountain Association in 1992 in memory of Mr and Mrs Leslie Everett by their family.
Glenwood House. Built as the parsonage for St. John’s church by St. Aubyn
North Enfield Cricket Club ground. The club dates from the 1880s and at first played on farmland near Whitewebbs Park. They now play on a nearby council owned ground. Cricket has been played here consistently and there have been links with major players.
Strayfield Road Cemetery
Enfield District Hospital - Chase Farm Hospital. Chase Farm Schools were opened in 1886 by the Edmonton Board of Guardians for 500 orphaned workhouse children replacing the old Edmonton Union Schools and despite objections from Enfield. This was a single large building plus some cottage homes, designed by T.E. Knightley and was a ‘farm’ school. In 1930 they transferred to Middlesex County Council. It was decided to adapt another isolated block to accommodate 37 bedridden infirm women from Edmonton House and North Middlesex Hospital. This was opened by the then Minister of Health. By 1938 it had had almost ceased to be a children's home and had become a hospital for the elderly. On the outbreak of war in 1939 it became an emergency hospital and in 1948 it became part of the National Health Service as a general hospital. During the 1990's the 'Highlands Wing' a surgical block was built. The site also contains a number of newer specialist units.
The Kings Oak Hospital. Private hospital on part of the Chase Farm site
Theobalds Park Road
St.John’s Mobile Home site
British History online. Enfield
Enfield Society. Web site
London Borough of Enfield. Web site
Lost Hospitals of London. Web site
North Enfield Cricket Club. Web site
Pam. History of Enfield
Pevsner and Cherry. Web site