River Ching - Chingford
The Ching flows south east
The railway line from Liverpool Street to Chingford, terminates here.
TQ 39166 94606
Suburban area in roads leading to Chingford Station, which then changes to plains, golf courses and open areas as part of Epping Forest. The Hunting Lodge is a star in any setting.
Post to the north Sewardstonebury
Connaught Club – tennis and bowls
It was originally planned to call this Station Road
Doric Cinema was on the corner with Station Road. It opened as the Chingford Pavilion in 1920 and it included a stage. After sound equipment was installed in 1929 it was re-named Chingford Cinema and then, later, taken over by Norbert Theatres, It was renamed Doric in 1941 and closed in 1957. It opened again in 1959 as the New Doric Cinema and closed again in 1961. It was demolished and offices now stand on the site.
Flats on the corner of Forest View were Bolte’s Café. Used as church premises in the First World War by an itinerant Roman Catholic priest to serve a Belgian refugee community.
The road name means that it is the road to Sewardstonebury.
Chingford Golf Course. Golf Course. Shared by three clubs and managed by the City Corporation. . All players must wear a red jacket. The course was laid out by the Royal Blackheath Club and the railway made special arrangements for cheap fares. A bomb fell here in the Second World War and an anti-aircraft gun site was sited at the end of the drive. It was used as a prisoner of war camp, then a school which was removed in 1954.
Royal Epping Forest Golf Club. Founded in 1888 and the only golf club in Essex Golf Union with the Royal Title. It is men only
Chingford Plain includes much of the golf course. It was farmland until 1878 but has been reinstated to grass by the Corporation of London. Some of it is now scrubland, which attracts many birds.
Named for the Duke of Connaught who was the first Ranger of Epping Forest 1878-1942
Part of Jabez Balfour's Liberator Building Society development here. An assortment of grand villas finished before he went to gaol in 1892
1 was the Coronet Cafe
Queen Elizabeth large gabled pub with red monsters on its roof, and Art Nouveau lettering.
Chingford Cricket Club. Sports ground and club which dates from the 1880s
Long Deacon Road
Long Deacon was the name of the field on which this road was built
Queen Elizabeth’s Hunting Lodge. This is a Tudor ‘standing’ from which posh people could to view hunting. It was commissioned by Henry VIII it in what was then Fairmead Park as part of his plans, never realised, for a royal hunting centre at Waltham Abbey. It is unassuming with a lime washed exterior, L shaped building with three storeys, and a structure of massive oak timbers cut in 1542. A kitchen and service area are on the ground floor separated from the stairs, which are on a generous scale. The window openings upstairs were originally unglazed and the first floor was a shooting gallery, from which bows could be aimed. The top floor was for spectators and has an open roof. The construction details show the ingenuity of the highly skilled carpenters using extremely sophisticated techniques. From 1608 until 1851 it was used as a keeper's lodge, and Courtroom. It later became a tearoom for visitors to the Forest and the when the City Corporation acquired it they commissioned repairs and work was done by Edmond Egan followed and later by J. Oldrid Scott. It was then used as a museum. In 1989-93, because of deathwatch beetle infestation, detailed research dated the building and allowed it to be repaired the building with traditional materials.
Royal Forest Hotel. Built in 1878. It is ‘Tudor style ‘in red brick. When Queen Victoria came to dedicate the Forest there was a grand display of fireworks by Brocks took place at the back of the Hotel. It was originally by Edmond Egan, but a fire destroyed the top floor and it was rebuilt.
Stables. Two formal brick ranges.
Butler’s Retreat. Weather boarded barn used from 1890 for serving refreshments to visitors. It is one of the last remaining Victorian ‘Retreats’ which provided temperance refreshments in Epping Forest. In 1890 a licence was granted to John Butler to occupy the building, and it was run by his family until 1971.
Forest Ramblers Centenary Stone
This was once called Maddox Lane and before the station was built was just a drove way for taking cattle to fields.
Chingford Golf Club. Clubhouse. The club is for men only. It was formed in 1923 by local tradesmen who were barred from the existing private club. At first they met in the Coronet Café and then The Royal Forest Hotel, moving to Station Road in 1928
134-138 The Station House. Pub
Chingford masonic temple. Purpose built brick Masonic Centre. The Foundation Stone was laid by the Lord Lieutenant of Essex in 1930.
152 The Fountain. Pub
Chingford Station. This is the terminus of line from Highams Park Built by the Great Eastern Railway and opened in 1878 it replaced a station built in 1873 600 yards to the south. It is on the edge of the Forest and built with the idea of extending it further to High Beach with a view to a network of countryside lines. It had four platforms which meant 2 & 3 were for the planned through traffic while 1 & 4 were for the terminus. However it made Epping Forest popular and in 1885 Queen Victoria declared the Forest open from here but the preservation of the forest then meant that the railway was not able to extend northwards. It became a commuter terminal, and was further cut back by the bus station. It is two-storeyed red brick building which has been much altered. In 1968 a path was provided over the old extension lines use to dock the engines and it linked the two platforms, and so the subway was demolished e track for platform 4 has been removed. .In 1974 a new ticket hall and office were provided with a suspended ceiling. There is a plastic owl under the canopy of platform two, to deter the pigeons.
Bus Station. This is on the site of an embankment built by the railway with a view to going to High Beach. It was previously used by them for servicing functions. It was levelled in 1968. The bus terminus had previously been at the Royal Forest Hotel.
Paths exist from the old station in what is now Kings Road to the existing station, this was at the request of locals.
Signal Box. Built in 1920
Built on the site of Taverners Farm
Warren Pond Road
Warren Pond. There is a brick lined well on the northern side which supplied
Grassland invaded by thorny scrub
Pond. Chingford and Walthamstow Railway
London Railway Record articles
Neale. Chingford Water
Chingford as it Was
Ray. Chingford Past
Clunn. The Face of London
Walford. Village London
Country Walks. London Transport
Field London Place Names
Headley and Meulenkamp, Follies
Smyth, City Wildspace
Chingford Golf Club web site
Cinema Treasurers web site
Connaught Club web site
Royal Epping Forest Golf Club web site
Chingford Cricket Club web site
Friends of Epping Forest web site
British Listed Buildings web site
London Transport Garages