Post to the west Eastbrookend
Post to the north Harrow Lodge Park
Post to the east Elm Park
Costain’s estate office was on the corner with Maylands Avenue
Elm Park Named from Elm Farm which stood to the east in Elms Farm Road. The area was previously covered with Elm woods. It was farmland until developed by Richard Costain who bought the land of Wyebridge, Elm and Uphavering farms for development in 1933. He had a master plan for a 'country town’ - the largest private housing enterprise in the area which was to be called Elm Park Garden City targeted at a lower income group. They were supported by the Halifax Building Society and apparently influenced by the garden city movement. After the war Hornchurch Urban District Council built higher density social housing here using loans from the Public Works Loan Board for CPOs.
108 The Assembly Hall, intended as a recreation space and theatre, was given to the Elm Park Residents' Association, in July 1935. It is now run by the local Community Association and has two halls. An unassuming brick building.
Arise Metropolitan Assembly. This meets in the annex of the Elm Park Assembly Hall
St Alban. Roman Catholic Church built in by D.R. Buries of Buries & Newton. Steel portal frame and brick faced, with T-shaped bell tower.
35a Elm Park Royal British Legion
Carrie’s Hall The hall and surrounding land was donated by the founder of the Round Table, Louis Marchesi, in 1958 as a community resource
Elm Park Baptist Church
South End Road
Elm Park Primary School. Two local schools, Ayloff and Dunningford, merged in 2009 as Elm Park primary school. It was opened by The Mayor of London in 2011.
Married quarters. These were built for officers from Hornchurch Airfield near the junction with Wood Lane.
St Nicholas Avenue
Elm Park Library. Built by Havering Council on the site of an old prefabricated 1956 building. Designed to be sustainable, energy efficient and a community asset.
St.Nicholas Church. Built 1956 by Crowe. It is in red brick
Sainsburys. This is in the south west wing of the Elm Park Hotel. The Thus closed in 2013
Tesco – one of their earliest stores was in the Parade in the 1930s
Elm Park Station. Opened in 1935 it lies between Hornchurch and Dagenham East on the District Line. Costain negotiated with the London, Midland and Scottish Railway to have a station built on the London to Southend railway to serve the estate. The station and the Elm Park Garden City were officially opened by Hilton Young, Minister of Health in May 1935 plus the Dagenham Girl Pipers. The platforms are arranged on an island with station buildings typical of the 1930s. A long sloping walkway connects the platforms, which are below street level
Sergeants’ houses. Built for staff at Hornchurch Airfield and now privately owned.
Elm Park British Legion. Web site
Elm Park Primary School. Web site
Field. Place Names of London
Hornchurch Airfield History. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. East London
St.Nichlas. Web site
Wikipedia. Elm Park Web site