Thames Tributary – stream from Havering atte Bower - Bower Park

Thames Tributary – stream from Havering ate Bower
Springs in this area flow south to become Blacks Brook flowing south towards the River Rom.

Post to the north Havering-atte-Bower

Post to the west not done

Post to the east Bedfords Park

Post to the south Rise Park

Bedfords Park
In the 15th this was noted as ‘Eries alias Bedfordes’ because part of the estate had been held in the 13th by Robert de Bedeford but before that by a J. Boris. The park has been in public ownership, since 1933, has 215 acres, a nature reserve managed by the Essex Wildlife Trust and a large lake for anglers. The site of the former Bedfords House .is in the eastern part of the park. The upper section was landscaped parkland, with exotic trees, a deer enclosure and its close-mown slopes. Springs seep from the top of the slope into a marshy area to the south. Dragon- and damselflies can be seen around the lake and ponds in summer

Bower Park
Named this because of the nearby royal palace

Bower Wood
Named this because of the nearby royal palace

Larch Wood

Orange Tree Hill
Orange Tree Pub. This is at the highest point in the London Borough of Havering. Until 1785 it was called ‘Olive Tree’.
Bower House.
The house is marked on the 1805 OS map and had been built in the 18th near the site of the 15th ‘Bowre’ -which means ‘royal residence’. However at first the house was called ‘Monthavering’ and then ‘Manor House’. It is set back in its own grounds with a splendid view. Stone used in the house came from the old palace. It was designed red brick in 1729 as the first commission by Henry Flitcroft for John Baynes, a lawyer.Originally it was quite small. It includes a medieval corbel - an angel bust bearing Edward III’s arms, presumably from the royal hunting lodge. There are staircase paintings by Thornhill of Arcadian scenes: shepherds and maidens. In the 20th it was owned and used until 2003 by Ford Motor Co.
Bower House stables built in 1729 by Henry Flitcroft at right angles to house. Similar materials. There is a modern bell-turret on the roof
Bower Farm Cottage
, a Tudor cottage orne built in the 1840s with spiky bargeboards and fish-scale tiles. The windows have leaded lights in elongated hexagons.
Blue Boar Hall
is a timber-framed house, from the 16th and 17th, refronted in the 19th. It was a pub in the 19th.


Chiltern Birder said…
The Orange Tree certainly isn't the highest point, the road continues to rise until Havering atte Bower itself. The borough boundary is on the opposite slope going back down to the Bourne Brook.

Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town