Thames Tributary Ingrebourne - Rainham Marshes
The Ingrebourne reaches the Thames and flows into it as Rainham Creek
Post to the north Rainham marsh
Post to the south Wennington Marshes
Post to the west Jenningtree
Easter Industrial Estate
Albright Industrial Estate
Rainham Ferry – this went from the riverside area where there was once a community. There were enough people there for the pub to be used as a church in the 1850s. The ferry may have dated from the Romans – since roman artefacts have been found at the creek mouth and in the middle ages it had a relationship with Lesnes Abbey. There are records of the ferry and an associated pub from the mid 16th and the inn was then called The Ferry House. The Long Ferry from Gravesend used it as a stopping place and later Steamers used to call there going to Margate. The short ferry went over to Erith.
Back Way. This was the small hamlet which grew up in at the mouth of the Creek around the Three Crowns in the early 20th century as the area industrialised. The settlement was also called The Ferry, or Rainham Ferry.
Little Wonder – general store which stood near the Three Crowns
Three Crowns. Was called the French Horn and then Three Crowns in 1772 but pub on this site for a very long time. It had originally been called The Ferry House and was bought by Edward Ind of Inde Coope, Romford Brewery in 1814, and although it went to other brewers it was back by them by 18676l the final building dated from the 1830s. Began as a shelter. Burnt down in a fire in 1839. Bare knuckle fights. Used as the ferry house –Princess Alice victims laid out there. In the early 20th day-trippers were encouraged but it soon came only to be used by factory workers. Pub closed 1951 and became absorbed into the Murex site as offices.
Atlas Chemical Works, owned by the Rainham Aniline Co., This was founded by WC.Barnes who had owned the Phoenix Works at Hackney Wick. He was a partner in a takeover of Perkin’s Greenford dye works and following its sale opened this works.
Borrell & Hagan. Artificial manure works. Basically this was a skutch works – rotting down organic material. It was described as offensive when inspected by Ballard in the 1870s,
Hempleman – with a 185 ft chimney stack in 1908. Manufacture of blood- and fish-manure manufacturers 1882–1917
J. C. and J. Field Ltd., candle and soap manufacturers 1906–c. 1937. The company had been founded in Lambeth in 1768. On the First World War they made explosives there with a serious explosion in 1916. The company was closed down inthe1970s.
Miller and Johnson, manure works, first industry in the area. Sulphuric acid & artificial manure. Established in 1872.
Murex Metals. Ironworks founded in the 1909 by A.Green to make metal containers and moved here in 1918. They originally used the last wooden building and the pub on the riverside as offices and had a long river frontage. They were long-standing producers of vanadium and tungsten powder. They had the World’s largest aryl phosphate plasticiser plant. From 1928 they bought out the other companies on the water-front, and in 1970, after further land-purchases, most of the area. They were subsequently taken over British Oxygen Co.
White Barge builder 1919-
Phoenix Wharf. Mulberry Pier is that constructed for the allied landings and connected by a Bailey bridge. Two PLUTO shed shelter. Used by Phoenix Timber Group
Forest - The yew is notoriously intolerant of water and cannot live in salt - yet the forest reached across the whole marsh - the trunks of such trees have been discovered on either side of the river bank at sea level.
Pieces of a Romano-British food pot confirm the antiquity of the Ferry site.
River wall. There is the possibility that the Romans built the first river wall along the Thames.
The Diver: Regeneration a sculpture by John Kaufman and is the only one standing in the River. It is made of galvanised steel bands on a steel frame and is 15 feet) tall. It is partly-submerged every high tide
Mural near the Tilda Depot of the history of Rainham done by a local disabled group.
Concrete barges During the Second World War, steel was in short supply. And barges were made of reinforced concrete. They were towed across the channel to create artificial harbours for the Normandy landings on D-Day. They formed part of a Mulberry harbour. Then in 1953 they were used to shore up the flood defences