Thames Tributary Ravensbourne River -Squirrels Heath
The Ravensbourne flows southwards towards the River Rom
The Great Eastern Railway Line from Liverpool Street to Shenfield runs north eastwards from Gidea Park Station.
Post to the north Gallows Corner
Ardleigh Green Road
All Saints Church. Built in 1957 by Tooley and Foster as a very simple brick church with a bell-cote. The church was moved here from Squirrels Heath Lane after the church there was bombed and because of the growth of population in this area. A church hall was added in 1959.
Ardleigh Green Schools – Ardleigh Green Junior School & Ardleigh Green Infant School. Opened by the council in 1933–4 and the senior department moved out in 1938
165 Ardleigh Green Baptist Church. This was originally a mission church from Hornchurch. A new school-chapel was built in 1933. The church became disused and has been turned into a family centre following a partnership with local schools and Havering College.
124 Ardleigh and the Dragon. Thai restaurant and pub. Previously called the Spencer’s Arms. This pub was a replacement for a much older pub with the same name – Spencer was the name of a local landowning family.
42 Ardleigh House Community Centre. The Community Association daters from 1946 and the County Council bought "Hardley Court’ and leased it to them while Havering College was built in the grounds. Eventually the house was demolished and the current building put in place.
Havering College of Further and Higher Education
Built in the 1920s by the Castellian family of Hare Hall.
Originally called Factory Road, Built for workers at the railway works plus a school for the children in 1843. Now an estate of low rise housing and tower blocks.
Factory Schoolroom two cottages knocked into one building and later used as a church hall. Now gone.
Railway Factory. An early and rare group of engineering and engine repair works. Built in the early 1840s by Braithwaite, Chief Engineer, Eastern Counties Railway. The railway opened in 1839 between Mile End and Romford, and to Brentwood in 1840. They were required to buy the Hare Hall estate where Braithwaite was to live. The railway works has two large parallel brick ranges plus a power house and chimney. Closest to the railway is a central archway entrance for locomotives plus a tower, originally with a clock. Behind are single-storey workshops which are early examples of galleried workshops, with a cast-iron internal frame - the columns acting as drains for the roof and dividing the interior into an aisle with galleries. The works were moved to Stratford in 1847 and these buildings used for making sacks and tarpaulin.
Railway Housing – Eastern Counties Railway built two rows of terraced houses for its workers along Elvet Avenue. These were cleared in 1963-5 and replaced with tower blocks by Romford Metropolitan Council.
Hillman was a Romford based bus operator in the 1930s, who built up a large fleet and also branched into early air services.
The original approach to Hare Hall, with interwar houses.
St.Mary’s Hare Park School. This is a private Roman Catholic school in what was Hare Lodge. This was built in 1904, by Seth-Smith for Major Charles Castellan, with a cruciform plan
This name is recorded in the 16th and land here belonged to the Squirrel family whose ancestors. There is a Squirrels Farm on the 1805 Ordnance Survey
Squirrels Heath Lane
Squirrels Court. site of All Saints Chapel, opened in 1884, on a site given by Alfred Savill and it was enlarged and embellished in the 1920s. It was destroyed by bombing in 1941 and a pre-fabricated church erected ten years later.
David Lloyd Leisure Centre
Upper Brentwood Road
101 Durham Arms
Royal Liberty School. Opened 1921 as the County High School for Boys. The core is Hare Hall a villa By James Paine. It was built 1768-9 on the site of a house called Goodwins Farm for John Wallinger, a cork and stone merchant from Colchester. In 1839, the Eastern Counties Railway Company bought the estate as part of their scheme to extend their Line from to Brentwood and it was used as a home for their engineer, Braithwaite. The hall was later sold and in 1897 bought by Edward and Lucy Castellan and a porch was added in 1896 by Howard Seth-Smith for them along with a pair of garden rooms. During the First World War it became Hare Hall Camp and housed the 2nd Battalion of the Artists Rifles. The Council bought the Hall and some land and in 1921 Hare Hall became the Royal Liberty School, a grammar school for boys – ‘Royal Liberty’ referring to the status of Havering. . The house is now a block in a quad built in 1929-30 by John Stuart, Essex County Architect.
South Lodge Queen Anne, with tapered chimney. Two ranges.
450-2, former estate cottages dated 1868 with blowsy doorcases.
Grounds of Hare Hall. Wallinger employed landscape gardener Richard Woods to improve the grounds. He provided a 'petrified' stone tree and cork tree in recognition of Wallinger's trades. There are few remains although there was a drained basin of a pond, with a damaged relic of a cascade and a brick and flint bridge. It is said that the line of an 'Elysian walk' cab still be traced.
All Saints Church. Web site
Ardleigh Green Baptist Church. Web site
Ardleigh Green School. Web site
Field. London Place Names
Havering College of Further and Higher Education. Web site
London Borough of Havering. Wenb sote
London Railway Record
Osborne. Defending London
Royal Liberty School. Web site