Chessington North and Hook
Post to the west Hook
Post to the south Chessington
Post to the north Tolworth
Chessington North Station.. This was opened in 1939 and lies between Chessington South and Tolworth on South Western Trains. It is on the last line built by the Southern Railway. It was first called ‘Chessington Court’ but the name changed two years later. It is designed in’cinema’ style by James Robb Scott and like other stations on this line used concrete extensively. , On the platform is 200 ft long Chisarc cantilevered concrete canopy with porthole glass and a mix of coloured fluorescent lighting tubes. From the start at street level there was a car park, toilets, parcels office and lock up shops and a separate parcels ramp. Signs were erected on the platforms saying 'Next Station For The Zoo' - later amended to 'World of Adventures' - to make sure people got off at the right station.
Railway bridge. Concrete bridge built in the late 1930s continuous in design with the station.
74-76 Toad Hall Nursery. Children’s nursery in what was Chessington Evangelical Church dating from the 1960s
Gosbury Hill County Primary, Junior, Mixed and Infants' School. This school was opened in 1949 in Buckland Road and closed in 1965. This site was north of the infant school
Buckland Infant and Nursery School. This had a large nursery and two specialist units for children with speech and language difficulties from across the borough. It appears to have been known as Moor Lane Infants School in the early 1950s.
Guide Hut. Scouts met in the buildings of Buckland School from the 1950s. The Guide hut appears to have been demolished as part of rebuilding for Castle Hill School and its site is now a parking area.
Castle Hill Primary School. In 2007 it was decided to merge Buckland School and Moor Lane Junior School here. The amalgamated school, called Castle Hill Primary School, is now set up as an ‘academy’.
Chessington Children’s Centre. This is included in the school buildings
Open Space – east of the school is an open space including an old hedge with oak trees.
Chessington Methodist Church. This dates from 1948 and is a large church with what appear to be several halls and ancillary buildings.
43 Alliance Healthcare. This is their head office. The company distributes pharmaceuticals to retail and other users. They date from the 1930s in London and were originally a co-op.
Maverick Pub. This is now a shop. It was originally called Port of Call and was a Greene King house. Later it was the Pickled Newt It closed in 2010.
59 Yodel. Delivery service
BT Fleet – this seems to be on the site of what was a large Post Office store
Railway bridge. Concrete bridge dating from the late 1930s
Chessington Business Centre
Hook Parade. Library and community buildings replaced by Hook Centre.
207 Southernhay home of Enid Blyton.
116 Chessington Oak. Large roadhouse style Mitchell and Butlers Pub dating from 1939, This was the Blackamoor’s Head until 2006 and before that the Blackamore Arms
Chessington County School. Opened in 1936 this was Moor Lane Secondary Mixed School opened in 1936. This was the only secondary school in the Chessington area until 1953 when new building in the area meant that new schools had to be provided. A new school was built for boys and this became a secondary girls’ school. By the late 1960s it was a primary school.
Moor Lane Junior School. This school has now merged with Buckland School on their site and is called Castle Hill. The Moor Lane school site now houses children and family support services and educates disabled children. There is a swimming pool and sports grounds
105a Four Oaks Centre. This is a hostel for the homeless, previously a Kingston Council Children’s Home
Mount House. W.K.Thomas. Catering disposables works. This is a private company dating from 1930. It is now part of the Bunzl Group.
Bunyan Meyer, Engineering company present here in the 1970s.
The area to the north of the road, which includes the ex-Plessey site, is in the square to the north.
Prochem. International company making cleaning materials. Founded in the 1980s
Oak Point. Harro Foods. This company deals in frozen Japanese food. The building was previously Spicers. And pre 1960 an Electrical engineering works
Merlin House. National Rescue Service. This is a family business removing vehicles on behalf of AA, RAC etc.
Oakcroft Works. Classic Images. This is a joinery business established in 1983.
Typhoon Business Centre
Avery Hardoll, Manufacturers of Pumps and Meters. Factory here in the 1960s
Miner’s Liquid Make up. Present here in 1950, they are now based in Hampshire.
Crystal Products Factory. Opened a perfumery factory here in 1945
Telegraph Condensor Co.
British Insulated Callenders Cables. 1960s. Based in Erith and elsewhere.
The Rhodrons Club. Private club founded 1917.
The Bull Whips. This was previously called Causeway Copse. This is said to be the southern part of Surbiton Common, called Gooseberry Hill, prior to which it had been known as Gosborough Hyll or Gosbury Hill
Chessington Community College. Web site
Chessington Community Matters. Web site
Grace’s Guide. Web site
Hidden London. Web site
Historic England. Web site
Ian Visits. Web site
London Railway Record.
Kingston on Thames. Web site
St. Paul’s. Web site
TripAdvisor. Web site
W.K.Thomas. Web site.
Wooton Bridge Historical. Web site