River Misbourne. Chalfont St.Peter
The Misbourne flows southwards
TQ 00044 90743
Central area of posh village
Post to the north Chalfont St.Peter
Post to the south Orchehill
This dual carriageway was built to bypass the centre of Chalfont St Peter in the late 1960s.
Youth Centre. After the Second World War it was felt that something should be done for young people returning from it and a tithe barn converted into a meeting place. The 16th barn was hidden in Swan Bottom Lane and it was then purchased by the County Council. Swan Bottom Farm was the farm for Chalfont Park and the land was under development as Chalfont Heights estate; the barn was in what was to become Sandy Rise. It was completed as a centre by 1946. A craft room was added in 1958 and a games room in 1964. Other amenities – a stage, a kitchen – have also been added including outside sports facilities. A warden’s bungalow was built in the early 1970’s.
Chalfont St Peter Perhaps rather less interesting and attractive than the sister village
Subway – this goes under the bypass and links to Joiner Lane. It has a mosaic decoration done by local young people.
Mill. This was recorded at Domesday and is still shown on 19th maps. From 1825 it is described as a silk mill worked by a water wheel but in the 1850s was a corn mill. Work stopped here in 1881. The mill house is now part of the outbuildings of the Greyhound
Greyhound Pub. The building is 16th with a timber-frame and there is also an 18th part. It was reputedly built for Judge Jeffreys for use while he was at The Grange.
George Pub. This is a 17th timber-framed house, altered later. There is false timber-framing on the first floor and carriage arch bay plus a 17th brick stack with 3 flues.
White Hart Pub. Said to be haunted by a violin playing former landlord. A 17th timber framed building with an 18th front.
The Poachers Pub
Library. Another ‘community’ library – i.e. no paid professional staff
139- 149 Bridge House. 19th brick building with modern shop fronts
Church of St Peter. This was built in 1726 on the site of a medieval church the tower of which collapsed into the nave in 1708. It has been noted as in bad repair since 1612 and there was subsequent damage from floods and wind. It was rebuilt by 1714 in a simple style in brick with a west tower and a gallery, since removed. It was altered by G E Street in 1853 that replaced the windows and added a mock hammer-beam roof. More work was carried out in the 20th. The 1714 tower remains and there are some brasses reset in north wall and many wall monuments. The ceiling was decorated by C B M Smith in 1966, following the collapse of the roof.
Churchyard Gates and Railings. cast-iron lattice gate piers topped with open acanthus and spear head gates from 1800.
British Listed Buildings. Web site.
Chalfont St. Peter. Web site
CSP Web site
Greyhound. Web site
Sense for CSP. Web site
St.Peter’s Church. Web site
White Hart. Web site