River Misbourne Chalfont St.Giles
The Misbourne flows south eastwards
SU 98897 93399
Posh village - central area with churches, and small museum
Post to the north Mill Lane
Post to the east Chalfont St. Giles
Bottrells Close. This is a 17th timber framed house encased in 18th brick with 17th Quaker links and was the home of Milton’s friend Thomas Ellwood. It was the home of Ralph Heal in 1910 and the Sanderson family in the 1920s.
Divine Child of Prague Roman Catholic Church. This is part of St.Joseph’s parish of Displaced Carmelites.
Milton’s Head pub and restaurant
Cobblers Cottage, Candy Cottage, Sandalwood. Row of what was originally four 18th red brick houses
Old Rectory Garages. 18th outbuildings which were probably originally stables and this includes a boundary wall which is brick and mostly 18th.
Methodist Church. There was a Methodist presence here from 1835. The present church was begun in 1866, to replace a smaller building of 1847. It had been Primitive Methodist but in 1932, joined the Wesleyan Methodists. It united with the United Reformed Church in 1977.
Hampden Cottage. 17th house later extended
Milton's Cottage. 17th timber framed house later extended. John Milton, the poet lived here having been lent it by his friend Thomas Ellwood during the plague of 1665. He finished Paradise Lost here and probably began Paradise Regained. It is now a museum to Milton with many first edition’s of his work. The house was bought in the late 19th with Queen Victoria as the first subscriber in 1887. The site includes a 17th style registered as historic garden.
Rectory Cottage. This is dated 1799 on bricks which are also inscribed 'WB1799' and 'RB1799'.
Saddler's Cottage, St Giles' Cottage. 17th timber-framed buildings, later altered and refronted.
The Manse. Thomas Valentine House built in the 1820. It is named after a Rector 1624-1661 sacked for his nonconformist views after the Civil War
Chapel. A nonconformist chapel was built in 1721 next to the Old Manse. This was Presbyterian until 1812 when it became Congregational. In 1972 it became part of the United Reformed Church.
Graveyard attached to the original chapel site. Still extant
Stonewells Farm. This is said to be the oldest building in the village and is a 15th timber-framed hall house with jettied cross wings. It was always used as a farm house until the 20th.
North Down. House with a showplace garden with mature trees but on difficult stony soil.
Chalfont St. Giles Junior School
Well Cottage and Outbuilding. This is a 16th building which may be an earlier rectory and was later a laundry. Well Cottage is part of it.
Old Rectory. This is a 17th house in grey brick.
Chalfont St. Giles Infant School
War Memorial Hall. The Hall was built in 1923, to commemorate servicemen from the village killed in the Great War. A new Millennium Entrance, was added in 1999
The Gardens Association Hall
Freshfields. 18th red brick cottage
Fox and Hounds Pub. 17th timber framed building.
Stratton Chase Drive
Sandford 18th red brick house with an 18th outbuilding
White Hart Pub
Three Households Gallery. This is a 17th timber-framed old farmhouse given a modern jetty to the street and a shop front.
Ye Old Beams and Cottage. 16th timber framed house.
British Listed Buildings
Chalfont Methodist Web site
Chalfont St. Giles Infant and Junior Schools. Web site
Chalfont St. Giles Village. Web site
Milton’s Cottage Museum. Web site
Milton’s Head. Web site
St.Joseph Parish. Web site