River Chess Masonic School for Girls
The Chess flows south eastwards
Post to the north Loudwater
Post to the east Croxley Green
Post to the south Rickmansworth
Post to the west Rickmansworth Solomons Wood
Masonic Girls' School. This is a handsome pile of red-brick buildings standing in spacious grounds one mile west of Rickmansworth. The school was founded in 1788 by Chevalier Ruspini to educate the daughters of Freemasons unable through death, illness or disability to support their families. It opened in Somers Town and moved to Rickmansworth in 1934. The site was that of Rickmansworth Park and Rickmansworth Deer Park.
Rickmansworth Park was part of the manor of Rickmansworth. In 1685 it was formed into a park. Henry Fotherley Whitfield, built the mansion house there in 1813. In the park are two dells, over 40 feet deep, in which the deer were to be wintered. The dells had been dug for limestone for road making. There are also important trees, including some chestnuts
88 Charlotte House ‘Prep’ School was founded in 1931 by Miss Kitching. Originally known as the Rickmansworth Parents National Education Union, the school offered girls an education based on the principles of Charlotte Mason.
143 Bronze Age hoard found while making a garden path. Comprised five socketed axes, two socketed spearheads, a sword blade fragment and three lumps of bronze
British History. Rickmansworth. Web site
Charlotte House. Web site
Royal Masonic School for Girls. Web site.
Royal Masonic School for Girls. Wikipedia. Web site