M25 New Haw
Post to the south Byfleet Wey Navigation
Trading and light industrial area
Woodham Junction. This is where the Basingstoke Canal leaves the River Wey Navigation.
Footbridge – this footbridge dates from 1996, the original having become derelict and collapsed.
Byfleet and New Haw Station. This opened in 1927 and lies between West Byfleet and Addlestone and also Weybridge on South Western Trains. It is on the original South Western Mainline of the London and Southampton Railway opening in 1838. The station was designed by architect James Ribb Scott and catered to a rapidly increasing population. It was then called West Weybridge and changed to the current name in 1962.
Byfleet Road electricity switching station, owned by National Grid
Heathervale Recreation Ground
Local authority sports ground and amenity space. The site borders on the Basingstoke canal and appears to have been laid out pre-Second World War. It was previously woodland.
Heathervale Mobile Home site.
New Haw Common
Common land shown on maps from the 17th
Alfonal Ltd, Alfonal House - Fats and Oils Associated Health Foods. This site address is also given as Abbott Lane and appeared to be on the site now occupied by a Vauxhall dealer
Electricity switching station owned by National Grid
This is a minor watercourse and a tributary of the River Wey which forms the boundary between West Byfleet and Woodham. Much of this watercourse is now piped underground but it has a distinctive red iron stained colour as it runs alongside the Basingstoke Canal – and its earliest mentions in the 9th are that it has a ‘foul’ colour. It flows into the River Wey at Byfleet.
The section of navigation here was once called Long Reach. It is very straight and the embankment which runs across New Haw common was the largest earthwork ever built for a 17th canal.
Trading estate – this appears to be the site of the Weybridge Sewage Farm from before the Second World War – and apparently appreciated as a soft landing by pilot landing on the Brooklands site, adjacent.
New Haw Gospel Hall – bringing the good news to New Haw
48 New Haw Club and Institute – Doreen and her staff welcome you.
New Haw County Primary School – small earlier school. This large primary school was presumably demolished as part of the works for the M25 and the site is now housing. It appears to have been preceded by a tiny school which fronted onto Woodham Lane.
65 The New Haw and Woodham Community Association. This was set up in 1947 and the Community Centre opened in 1959.
All Saints Church. Designed by W.F. Unsworth's in 1893. It was supposed to look like an ancient Surrey chapel with tile-hanging and rubble walls.
Boscos. Youth and Community Building next to the church. This site is marked as a ‘library’ in the 1960s.
Central Veterinary Laboratory. This large site is now the headquarters of the Department of the Environments Animal and Plant Health Agency. The Central Veterinary Laboratory moved here in 1917 from central London. The site is used predominantly for research and development with laboratories and offices as well as some livestock buildings. The site is large and comprises a wide range of buildings varying in ages, size and appearance
All Saints Church, Web site
DEFRA. Web site
New Haw Club and Institute. Web site
New Haw Gospel Hall. Web site
Runneymede District Council. Web site
Wardle. The Wey Navigations
Wikipedia. As appropriate
Woking History. Web site