Stonebridge Brook - Haringey
The Stonebridge Brook flows eastwards through the area
The Hermitage Brook rises in this area and flows eastwards
Gospel Oak to Barking Railway
The Gospel Oak to Barking Railway runs northeastwards from Crouch Hill Station and onwards from Haringay Green Lanes Station.
Post to the west Crouch End
Post to the east St.Ann's Road
Post to the south Finsbury Park
Stone Bridge brook flowed from Weston Park to this area, until diverted by the railway depot. It passed under the Carriage Drive of Haringey House and was crossed by the original route of the New River.
Haringey House built in 1792 on a site which was between this and Beresford road on the summit of the hill. It replaced a Tudor mansion. Given the name of Haringey House. The estate was sold for development in the 1880s.
New River. Old course ran north of the present course to half way along. It then ran south to present course in Warham Road
St.Paul’s Church Centre
Haringey Seventh Day Adventist Church
Telgraf Turkish media office
Tube ventilation shaft. The tube line from Manor House, descending passes this shaft which was equipped with two cased fans located in a special building with outlets 23ft above ground level
The Stonebridge Brook was diverted to the north here and flowed in a loop between this and Effingham Roads.
Great Northern Railway
The railway was carried across the Stonebridge Brook on a viaduct built in 1850 and another built in 1870. These both vanished under Ferme Yard.
Stonebridge Brook. On reaching Green Lanes from a diverted route it flows south to reach Allison road and then flows east again.
Hermitage Brook flows under Green Lanes near the Beaconsfield pub.
594 BDC building with large frontage and forecourt sheds behinds. Appears to have been the Oakwood Laundry.
Christ Crucified Risen and Exalted Church. Harringay Congregational Church had originated in 1891 and opened an iron church on land they had bought at the junction of Allison Road in 1894. A permanent church, was built and opened in 1902, including a hall and schoolrooms. In 1969 they united with Hornsey Church of Christ as Haringey United Church and in 1982, affiliated with the London Baptist Association.
Electric Coliseum Cinema. Built in 1912 on the corner of St Ann's Road. It included a stage for variety acts. The auditorium was decorated with gilded plaster moulding and had an organ, the first to be installed in a UK cinema. The Salon du Bal dance hall had a separate entrance in Salisbury Parade. The name changed to the Coliseum Cinema around 1930 for the talkies. In the late 1950s it was bought by the Newcastle-based Essoldo Company and in 1961 became a bingo hall. This closed in in 1977 and it became a furniture store. The dance hall became a popular gay nightclub called Bolts. The furniture store closed in the 1980s and the cinema section was disused. Bolts Nightclub also moved and that part became a bar. It was demolished and flats built using the name 'The Coliseum'. The organ is at Hall Place in Bexley in pieces.
Salisbury Hotel. Built 1898-9 by J. C. Hill. Brash Victorian pub on a grand scale: - curved corner, striped cupolas on polished granite columns, and a central tower with an iron crown. Inside joinery and glass, and Art Nouveau cut-glass mirrors, attributed to Cakebread Robey. Rooms on the first floor with ornate plaster ceilings.
The Old Ale Emporium. Was once a Wetherspoon's pub
Haringey Green Lanes Station. Opened in 1880 it now lies between South Tottenham and Crouch Hill. It was originally opened as Green Lanes Station and in 1883 renamed Haringey Park, Green Lanes. In 1951 it was renamed Haringey Park. At first there were wooden platform buildings which were replaced by brick and concrete structures. In 1958 it was renamed Haringey Stadium. In 1990 renamed Haringey East, and in 1991 renamed Haringey Green Lanes. The original ticket office at street level survived and is used as a café.
Railway Fields. This was the goods yard on the Tottenham and Hampstead Junction Railway in 1868, probably mainly used for coal. The yard was closed in 1967 and in 1975 was acquired by Haringey Council for a community centre. In 1986 it was opened as a nature park. The brick surge tower at the end of Haringey Passage in Railway Fields, helped prevent the sewer overflowing. The Hermitage Brook passed through this area.
Beaconsfield Hotel. Ornate pub built in 1886 to designs by Alexander and Gibbon. The interior has been changed several times, most recently in 1981 by Courage. However Victorian etched glass remains along with some original fittings. It is named for Benjamin Disraeli, who was later Earl of Beaconsfield – some local roads are named for characters in Disraeli’s books
The area east of Grand Parade was laid out by C.Hill on the site of St.John's Lodge Farm.
Alleyway which bisects the Ladder. It follows the line of a sewer built in the early 1870s by Baldwin Latham for Hornsey Local Board. It was paved over as the housing was built in the 1860s.
Haringey – originally came from 'Haering's woodland enclosure'. As ‘Haringey’ it became the name of the station and the stadium in the 20th and in 1963 the name of the borough - which also included Wood Green, Tottenham and Hornsey.
St.Augustine. Roman Catholic church adapted from a Primitive Methodist chapel of 1891 in1963 by Archard and Partners
South Haringey Junior School. Built as South Haringey Board School. Swimming pool
Hermitage Brook flowed along the line of this road.
Stroud Green Library. Built in 1901, with detailed red brickwork.
Ferme Park Goods Yard. This was built under the Great Northern Railway’s Act of 1882. It is not clear why it was called Ferme Park which is the name of a local estate road. The Down Yard opened in 1887 with twelve double ended sidings and the Up Yard in 1889 also with twelve sidings. In association with this additional lines were installed between the yard and Hornsey and Finsbury Park and the area was resignalled. In 1896 a viaduct was installed to facilitate internal workings. Various changes took place in the yard over the next fifty years most traffic consisting of coal trains. A new engine shed was opened in 1899. The yard was busy until the early 1960s when coal trains began to be sent elsewhere. Much of the infrastructure and buildings remain albeit in other use.
South Down signal box. The only box of its type in London. Built by Willmott and Sons in 1930 on elevated steel girders – and against an unstable retaining wall. It was fitted with tannoy and had a 36 lever frame. Taken out of use 1969.
North Down signal box. Built on a brick base and opened in 1893. Closed 1974.
Up Goods signal box. This was very tall to allow the signal man to see over adjacent bridges.
New River emerges beside New River House.
St Ann’s Road
Stonebridge brook flowed eastwards down this road
The Hermitage Brook followed the line of this road, passing under the New River.
New River. The old course ran eastwards, to the north of Allison Road, to about half-way along the road, swinging south to rejoin the present course here.
Haringey Station. Opened as Haringey West in 1885 it lies between Hornsey and Finsbury Park stations on the Great Northern Railway. An agreement to build a station here was made between the British Land Company and the Great Northern Railway in 1884 in order to serve new housing in the area. The land company contributed £3,500 to the cost and bore the initial working costs of the station. The station, footbridge and a road bridge were built by S.W. Pattinson of Ruskington. It was initially to be called Harringay Park but was always called Harringay. It was called Harringay West from 1951, to 1971. A goods yard was also opened. The footbridge was 300 feet long and went an approach road off Wightman Road to the site of Quernmore Road and a booking office was built on it, only the central part remains. The 1885 booking office building was burnt down in the 1960s and replaced by a timber building still in use.
St Paul the Apostle. The first church here was an 'iron room' opened in 1883. In 1890 work began on a red brick church designed by George Michael Silley which could hold 900 people. There was a magnificent organ made by J.W. Walker and Sons. The font was marble with a war memorial to the Great War. The church was burnt down in 1984. It was rebuilt to a design described by Peter Jenkins as a megaron. This is a square room with a hearth and the projection of the side walls beyond the entrance to form a porch, made up of two triangular towers sheltering the main entrance door. The resulting entrance facade is surmounted by the hollow gable-end of an equilateral truss roof, designed by Michael Courtney of Ove Arup & Partners which acts as a wind girder to stabilize the whole structure.
London Shelton Hotel. This was the Railway Tavern
SourcesCAMRA North London web site
Cinema Theatres Association newsletter
Edmonton Hundred History Society 51,
Essex-Lopresti. Exploring the New River,
Field. Place names of London
Friends of Railway Fields web site
Haringey Baptist web site
London Borough of Haringey web site
Haringey Cinemas web site
London Railway Record
New River Guide
Pevsner and Cherry. London North
Pinching and Dell. Haringey’s Hidden Streams
St.Augustine of Canterbury web site
St.Paul the Apostle web site
Stroud Green Junior School web site
Wikipedia – Haringey Station