Wealdstone Brook - Kenton Station

Wealdstone Brook
The Wealdstone Brook rises in this area and flows eastwards.

Post to the east Kenton

Post to the south Northwick Park

Carlton Avenue
Kenton Recreation Ground.  A the north of the park is an area known as Kenton Rough, which is reserved now a wild flower meadow in which are plants thought to have been introduced by the Romans as seed corn. The park has formal beds and areas of ornamental shrubs and conifers, and trees. With a line of Lombardy poplars near the raised playing field.
The park was the site of Harrow Sewage works and a tip converted in 1936 after Mogden Sewage Works opened.

Gayton Road
Harrow Primary School – another fee paying ‘preparatory’ school

Hawthorn Avenue
Churchill Hall. Wembley North Conservative Club.

Kenton Road,
Kenton Station This lies between Harrow and Wealdstone and South Kenton on the Bakerloo Line and also on the London Overground into Euston. It was opened in 1912 by the London North West Railway.  The station was one of several built on their “New Line” from Camden to Watford Junction to enable local services in the area. Kenton only ever had platforms on this line. Bakerloo line services began in 1917. There is a remaining original sub-station building.
134 Puffers. Railway model shop
177-179 The Lancer – this is a restaurant and pub combined. Might now be called Peaches. This was built as the showroom for the North Met. Electricity Supply Co, and later became the HQ of The Gramophone magazine
202 site of the Odeon built by Coles in 1935 as his second cinema for Odeon. Its exterior was in the Odeon house-style if cream and black tiles with nm windows and classical/art deco touches in between. There were shops in front and the auditorium ran parallel to the road behind them. It closed in 1961 and has been demolished and replaced by a Waitrose supermarket and office block named Brent House. The Waitrose too has since closed.
Travellers Rest pub. This replaced a beer shop called the Three Horseshoes when the station was built. It was rebuilt in 1933 as the Rest House and was then the largest pub in Middlesex. Now it is a Premier Inn and Beefeater

Wealdstone Brook
Also called the Lidding

Cinema Treasures. Web site
Edwards. London’s Underground Suburbs
Field. London Place Names,
GLIAS Newsletter
London Encyclopaedia
Middlesex Churches,
Pevsner and Cherry.  North West London
Walford. Village London


Anonymous said…
Puffers the model railway shop closed a few years ago. It is not associated with Kenton station but is on the other side of both Kenton Road and the railway. It was previously the off-licence for the Rest Hotel.

Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town