This post is not finished it has not been edited or checked
Post to the west Harrow on the Hill Harrow school
Post to the north Kenton Station
Post to the east South Kenton and Preston Park
Post to the South Sudbury Court
Farm. Dairy produce for the farm and restaurants.
Northwick Park Station. 28th June 1923, Between Harrow on the Hill and Preston Road on the Metropolitan Line. Built by the Metropolitan Railway and opened as ‘Northwick Park and Kenton’. In 1937 the name was changed to ‘Northwick Park’. Great Central trains are not allowed to stop here and there is no platform for them – the lines go straight through.
The Ducker. Ex Harrow school bathing place. Was planned for a mosque but nature reserve instead which became semi derelict - newts and bats. The rooks went when the trees went. There is a stream which feeds into the Ducker across the meadows
Named from the Northwick family, lords of the manor of Harrow in the 18th
Owned by the Churchill-Rushout family. Some of the land was sold to Harrow School in 1905 and the rest was laid out for housing. Captain Spencer Churchill intended to set up and best laid out estate in London as a unique experiment in town planning. In 1936 the council bought the rest for the college.
Palaestra Recreation Club
The park contains a new golf course and two Gaelic football pitches.
Mount Stewart Estate. 1930s estate by Costin
Northwick Park Hospital. Large prominent 1960s onwards. Built on open land east of Harrow School playing fields. Llewellyn Davis and Weeks. Used in Fawlty Towers for Sybil’s toenail.
University of Westminster, previously Central London Poly and before that Harrow College of Technology, and Harrow Technical College sited north of the hospital. Built by Middlesex County Council in 1959 by Whitfield Lewis. An 8 storey slab of classrooms in concrete egg crate frame with back projecting window for the photographic study. One storey workshops with half barrel vaults and north lights.
Woodland planted in 1907.
Northwick Park golf course. 1817 enclosures by Lord Northwick. Captain Swing. In 1905 Harrow School bought 192 acres of Sheepcote Farm in order to stop plans for development near the school and this became the golf course. The golf course was replaced by the college.