Harrrow on the Hill
This post is not finished it has not been edited or checked
First council houses in the area 1920s
The commercial centre in this area
Office Blocks The first large post-war buildings loom up part of the 1960s drive for out-of-town offices: 1965 by Morgan & Branch.
First National House
St.John the Baptist. 1904, site of an earlier church.
Greenhill Farm, weather boarded barn 18th
Cannon Cinema. Former Granada, 1937 by J. Owen Bond, with interior by T. Komisarjevsky in classical vein, very complete, a contrast to his Gothic fr. ivolities at Tooting and Woolwich. Listed Grade II built on the site of the old Greenhill Manor House.
The consumer-boom developments of the 1970s-80s lie on both sides of the pedestrianised road. The gardens of the houses were later built over for single storey shops known as 'bungalow fronts'. The formation of the Metropolitan Surplus Lands Committee in 1887 served to develop housing on land adjacent to the route of the line outwards from Willesden Green
St Ann's. 1986-7 by Bernard Engle & Partners, with a covered shopping mall by David Davies Associates. Opened by Ms.D.Windsor in 1987. Nine screen cinema inside.
Queen's House. An eight-storey curtain-walled slab, also incorporates car parks, .
First National House, 1978-81 by G.M.W. Partnership, shops along a covered way to the station.
With College Road and St.Ann's Road was a tiny hamlet
Harrow on the Hill Station. 2nd August 1880. Between Rickmansworth and Marylebone on Chiltern Railways, and between Preston Road and West Harrow and between Preston Road and West Harrow on the Metropolitan Line. Metropolitan Railway. Opened as ‘Harrow’. Metropolitan ran here from Baker Street. Main buildings on the down side for the importance of the old town on the hill. Also serving Roxteth. Entrance on the up side for Greenhill. Station designed for dignity in modified Queen Anne style, single storey with a clock tower. Architect A.McDermott. Opening dinner held at the King’s Head. Free journeys to Willesden Green on opening day. 1885 Harrow to Pinner opened by the Metropolitan Railway. 1894 Name changed to ‘Harrow on the Hill’. 1899 Marylebone service started. 1900s considerable rebuilding. 1935 station rebuilt completely in Holden style. 1980s College Road entrance demolished Built by Kingsbury and Harrow Railway,. St John's Wood from Baker Street Line opened to there in 1880 by Watkin as part of his vision for extending the Metropolitan and Called ‘Harrow’ from that date. First station on the K & H branch of the Metropolitan. The station was opened as plain Harrow on 2nd August 1880, and was a modest two-track affair. Its title was expanded to ‘Harrow-on-the Hill’ on 1st June 1894, and the premises were enlarged to four platforms in 1908. The Harrow to Uxbridge line built by the Metropolitan with steam traction in 1904, Last station into London to allow Great Central trains to stop at Metropolitan Stations. Major reconstruction took place between 1939 and 1948 under LT's 'New Works' programme, culminating in a station with six tracks and three island platforms.
Fly under. On leaving Harrow, Oxbridge trains use a fly under which segregates them from the 'main line' to Amersham and beyond. This was constructed in anticipation of extra traffic which would be generated by the opening of the Metropolitan route to Watford, together with the introduction of new electric services to Rickmansworth, and was in use from 14th September 1925
Metropolitan Electric Substation in 1905 taking power from Neasden
National Westminster Banister Fletcher, 1915, .
Harrow Cinema Theatre
Post Office Ludlow Wallbox