River Brent Tokyngton
The Brent flows south westwards. It is joined by the Wembley Brook from the west
Post to the west Wembley
Post to the east Stonebridge
Post to the south Park Royal
Argenta House. Silver ware factory which has been here since the 1970s owned by the Norman family. On it are murals commemorating three Olympiads at which racial tension was at its height. Created by design group Ol’ Man T, Jesse Owens who won over the Nazis at the 1936 games, Tommie Smith’s black power salute of the 1968 games and the 11 Israeli athletes killed in Munich, 1972
Stonebridge Park Station. Opened in 1912 it now lies between Wembley Central and Harlesden on the Bakerloo Line and it is also on the London Overground into Euston. The original line was opened by the London and North Western railway in their New Line project. It was first used by Bakerloo line trains in 1917. The current station buildings replaced the originals which were destroyed by Second World War bombing except for the booking hall at ground level appears to be the original. The platform-level rebuilding used concrete and steel rather than brick plus wood and glass canopies. The 1940s buildings have however also been subject to two fires which meant that much of the up side and later much of the down side have been rebuilt.
Office blocks – two curved blocks dating from 1975 adjacent to the North Circular
Brent River Park
Tokyington Recreation Ground has now been partly renamed as Brent River Park
Brent River Park. The river used to run in a straight concrete channel but has now been re-structured with meanders and sloping sides. The ground levels have been raised with landfill, and the course of the river altered.
Wind powered sculpture, which was commissioned to coincide with the building of the new Wembley Stadium. It is near the entrance to the park. Its base has the River Brent motif laser-cut through it and a turbine on the top turns in the wind. It was made in association with Liz Armitage
Climate Pavilion: the Pavilion has four overlapping canopy sections to show the damage done by extreme weather conditions due to climate change. It provides a shelter for park users and can be used for performance space. It is made of mild steel that rusts easily and this is to show the power of nature and the role it plays in the decay and destruction of the man-made world. It also has on-site solar energy using photovoltaic cells which generate all the electricity required to light it and ten underground water storage pools have been built and the foundation is permeable to allow for effective drainage during floods which stain demonstrates how we can adapt to climate change.
Pebble mosaic designed by students from Vernon House School. Fish and boats are interwoven in to the design.
Mound with the four-tonne base of the flagpole from the East Twin Tower of the 1923 Wembley Stadium
What became the Harrow Road was a road called Deadman's Hill which ran between Wembley and Tokyngton and then Willesden
Stonebridge over the Brent at Tokyngton. In 1820 this was a two arched bridge of brick and stone described as ancient and maintained by the lords of Tokyngton and East Twyford manors.
Harrow Bridge – this was About 200 yards to the north of the Tokyington bridge and was built around 1800 by the parish of Harrow and the neighbouring landowners. In 1818 its arches were bricked up by the trustees of the turnpike road
30-32 The Innisfree Pub
Heather Park Drive
Transpute. Transputec is a company offering IT advice and solutions. It was started in 1984 by students from Imperial and Kings Colleges tube name is an amalgamation of Transputer and Technology
Trinity House Business Centre
Celestial church of Christ. Trinity Business Centre
La Mont Steam Generator. Manfacturers of waste heat boilers 1930s-1960s
Precision Centre. In the 1960s occiupied by Eagle Interntionl who distributed components aimed at the audio and amateur radio markets - ie Audiotronic Group, B.H.Morris (Radio) etc.H
Heather Park Pub and restaurant
Single track rail line ran behind the factories in Heather Park Drive 1930s.
Monks Park Primary Care Centre
Tokyngton Library. Closed and the site sold off for housing
North Circular Road
On this stretch the North Circular divides into two with the old road running parallel to three lane road
Ferodo Advertisement on a Bridge. One of several bridges around the country advertising Ferodo disc brake pads. The name is part of an anagram of the inventor, Herbert Frood.
The original arches of the main line from Euston to Scotland
Bridge carrying the Harrow Road A404
Wembley Point. 21 storey refurbished building with offices, gym. Health spa and restaurant. Built in the 1960s when it was called Station House with hexagonal floor plates. It was originally heavily brutalist with concrete columns and an exposed service core but it has now been tarted up. Beneath it runs the River Brent, having been built over and channelled through the site.
Pillbox – said to be a Second World War pillbox on the bank of the northbound rail line north of Stonebridge Park Station
The Watford DC Line runs beside the West Coast Main Line and the Bakerloo line shares the track on this stretch. The line is electrified with direct current in contrast to the alternating current on the adjacent main line. It was originally electrified in the fourth rail system getting power from the Stonebridge Park power station which closed in the 1960s
Stonebridge Park Power Station. This was built for the North West and South Junction Railway, and North London Railway in 1916. . It was coal fired with wooden cooling towers. It closed in 1967, after which power was taken from the grid. It was used for scenes in an early episode of Dr., Who.
The Bakerloo line depot opened here in on the site of the power station. It is where the Bakerloo fleet's is maintained.
St. Michael's Avenue
St Michael the Archangel, Tokyngton
The area is sometimes called Oakington but this is wrong and the name comes from a farm to the north of this square connected with the name of Toca. This was an important manor in the Middle Ages with a prominent chapel. In the early 20th Audley Neeld, then Lord of the Manor, wanted to develop a ‘garden city’ estate and building took place into the 1920s.
Tokyngton Recreation Ground,
Middlesex County Council open space now part of Brent River Park
Clunn. The Face of London
Get Walking. Web site
Hidden London. Web site
Knights. A Brief History of Electricity in Acton
Middlesex County Council. History of Middlesex
Natural England. Web site.
Pevsner and Cherry. London North West
Pinner Chalk Mine info. Web site
Radio Museum. Web site
Skyscraper News. Web site
Thames Basin Archaeological Group report
Walford. Village London,