Shuttle- tributory to Cray and Darent. Lamorbey
The Shuttle runs south east
Post to the west Halfway Street
Post to the east Blendon
Burnt Oak Lane
Lamorbey. Recorded as Lamborbey c.1762, but Lamb Abbey in 1805, and Lamorbey in 1876. It is a manorial name for an estate and house originally built in the early 16th and belonging to the family of Thomas Lamendby alias Sparrowe in 1513. There may have been a settlement here in the 11th. Thomas, also called Sparrow, died in 1513 and a brass to his memory is in St. Mary's Church, Bexley. Until the end of the 19th, the hamlet was known as Halfway Street and Lamorbey applied only to the mansion.
Lamorbey House. A large mansion, used by the Rose Bruford School of Speech & Drama, and by Lamorbey Adult Education Centre. It is owned by the London Borough of Bexley. It stands in the middle of Lamorbey Park, with the south front towards the lake. The original house here dated from 1515 but was rebuilt c.1744-8 for William Steele, of the East India Company, and altered in 1784 by Dr David Orme, West Indian trader, later by John Shaw, Sen. 1812 -1910 it belonged to the Malcolm family, West Indian traders, and some additions were made by them. In 1910 it became a hotel and part of the estate was leased to Sidcup Golf Club and some sold to New Ideal Homesteads. There was a V2 attack on 27 November 1944 when 6 were injured. In 1946 it was bought by the Kent Education Committee, and four schools were eventually opened here. The remains of the 18th building are around the north entrance, and the inner courtyard. The c1840 library has a Jacobean-style wooden chimneypiece, panelling and a plaster ceiling; the music room has a fireplace with a lion's head. Orangery with a wooden pendant, and glazing to make it look like a conservatory. Wooden staircase with twisted banisters and a staff toilet with original Japanese-motif wallpaper c 1850. Rose Bruford. Established a drama school here in 1950 and remained as principal until 1967. Rose was an actress, drama tutor and author.
Barn Theatre. Modern but using part of the walls and sloping roof of an old barn dating back at least to the mid 19th century.
Rose Theatre. In the round with 300 seats.
Coach-house. Cupola and adjoining stables, probably c1790.
Cottages. Two gardener’s cottages, probably 1830s. Behind a 19th century piggery.
Outbuildings. These flank the north entrance to the house. The more substantial are, probably 1784; and those adjoining the house are 1991
Dairy. A single -storey building with a wide Gothic window c1840.
Lake - ornamental lake with two arms and a bridge over a weir between the two arms. The lake is fed by the River Shuttle, which runs to the north.
Bath house footings, c1780 by the weir between the two arms of the lake.
Sidcup Golf Club course. An assortment of incoming city men and the wealthier locals were the nucleus from which the golf club was formed in 1891. Its most successful years were in the 1920s and 1930s; new developments reduced it to a nine hole course in the 1950s. In the 21st the club has a new clubhouse on the golf course, and the old clubhouse has become a leisure centre. The club is still the 8th most senior club in Kent.
Ice houses two built in 1790 and 1840 under the ownership of William Steele. Between the two lakes.
8 house 1841 is the original Lamorbey National School. In use a school until 1880.
Pinnacle from Lamorbey Chapel c1840 in a garden.
Burnt Oak Junior School a large red brick building. It was built for children resident in The Hollies 1903-09.
10/16 four cottages with a barge boarded gabled centre, rustic timber porches each covering two entrances. Built for workers on the Lamorbey Estate. A plaque reads 'J.M. 1874' - John Malcolm owned Lamorbey House at the time.
Holy Trinity School. Set back from the road. 1969 by Oliver Steer; with four glazed gables in the centre zigzagging to the ground. Extended in 1971. Voluntary Aided school with 370 pupils, and a Nursery for 36 children. The original school opened here in 1838 in Sidcup; but current building was opened in 1968.
Edwardian lodge. The old main entrance to the Hollies complex
Chiselhurst and Sidcup Grammar School. Built in 1931 as Sidcup County School for Girls the school had two earlier sites outside of the area. This is a sports college although it claims to be a grammar school.
Chatsworth Infants School
Hurstmere School for Boys
V2 was the location of an attack. It resulted in two deaths and 17 injuries, and the destruction of eight houses.
Shuttle. Liverwort and horsetails grow in the damp areas along the river.
Willersley Park. Tennis courts and pitches.
Passes to the north of Sidcup Golf Course. There are alders on both banks,
A public park. Part of an old wall of the kitchen garden from Lamorbey House, probably of the 1840s. Facilities for angling.
The Oval. Half timbered crescent of mock-Tudor shops, built in 1933. It faces a crescent of the Marlborough Park Estate across an oval of open space, built by New Ideal Homesteads in the early 1930s