Thames Tributary River Roding - Wanstead Park
The Roding flows south east in a canalised section
Post to the north Redbridge roundabout
Post to the east Cranbrook
Wanstead Isolation Hospital. This was built by the Wanstead Local Board of Health in 1893. It came under the Wanstead Urban District Council until 1934, when Wanstead amalgamated with Woodford UDC and became part of the Waltham Joint Hospital Board. It closed in 1936. The buildings bombed the Second World War.
Allotments on the site of the demolished hospital
Aldersbrook Primary School. This was built in 1908 designed by C.H. Brassey,
Lodge house to the school
11 house which may have been converted from stable block, or outhouse.
The road, surrounding roads and the area to the south are part of the Aldersbrook estate built in the immediate pre-First World War Period and named after the Alders Brook, a tributary to the Roding. Many houses in the road have first floor balconies overlooking the park, many of them very pretty. The estate was built on land from the Wanstead House estate and Aldersbrook Farm
London NE Group War HQ. In the Second World War Greater London were divided up into sectors and this was later used as a structure for civil defence organisations. In the 1950s, war rooms known as ``sub-regional commissioner's offices'' were built. This was demolished in 2000. It stood at the end of the road east of Clavering Road and was built on the site of the hospital
Council housing on the site of the hospital built in the early 1970s newer housing built on the site of the civil defence building are known as “Bunker Villas”.
Perry Lodge – assisted living care home on part of the old hospital site.
Aldersbrook Riding School and stables, on the site of the demolished hospital
Aldersbrook Wood. This includes a wooden building of the Woodford District Horticultural Society. Some remains of buildings still lie on the site.
Woodside Court – modern flats
Wanstead Golf Club. The club was founded as Wanstead Park Golf an opened at lunch in 1893. The land was leased by Lord Cowley and the course has been redesigned several times since.
Golf Club House. 18th stable block in brick and timber which has been alerted since.
Wanstead House. The site is marked by a depression near the first hole on golf course. The house was built for Richard Child, Viscount Catlemaine and first Earl Tylney, and was demolished in 1820. It was a large classical house designed by Colen Campbell. It replaced an older one bought in 1667 by his father, Sir Josiah Childc chairman of the East India Company. It was the earliest major building the revived Palladian style. It was 260 ft long, with a six-column central portico. In the early c19, the fortune of the heiress Catherine TyIney-Long was spent by her husband and in 1822 it was sold to pay his debts. Part of the portico is at Hendon Hall
Avenue which runs east from the site of the house and which ended in a formal canal which is now a string of lakes
Mounts - these are on either side of the avenue but are now hidden by trees. There was also once an amphitheatre with stepped grass banks,
Lake system the water engineering was carried out by Adam Holt. The northern lakes were fed from the Roding, the southern area, from the basin west of the house.
Grotto. Added by the second earl in 1761-2 . It had a boathouse below a domed upper chamber. It was set on fire in 1884 but has since been renovated. It had a stained glass window, shell decoration and a floor made of deer bones.
Temple. From 1760 repaired in 1992-7, after it had been used by Forest keepers from 1882. It is on a mound and has an access point at the back to a lower room. In the front is a portico with an entrance to an upper room, with a blue and white colour scheme. The wings were added later. Inside is a lead statue of Andromeda, from the grotto. It is now a centre for park activities.
Avenue of sessile oaks south of the Temple, from Repton's planting.
Stream shown on 16th map which ran west/east across the estate and into the Roding
The Heronry – established in the early 20th
Rook Island – site for birds including cormorants
Heronry Pond. With Perch Pond known originally as The Serpentine Ponde and it is technically half in Epping Forest and boundary fences can be seen. An earth embankment at the eastern end holds it within the valley. It covers about eight and a half acres with two islands. It has a concrete base and sides. It is fed from is a storm sewer coming from Northumberland Avenue and taking water from the built up area and was refurbished in the 1970s. There is also a drain from the golf course and streams appear on the surface in heavy rain. In 194l, two high explosive bombs fell into the pond blocking the passage round the east island. Pieces of the original concrete structure remain on the north bank. In 1944, a couple boating on the lake were killed by a V I and resulting damage to the lake was not repaired until 1949.
Perch Pond. With Heronry Pond known originally as The Serpentine Ponde. An earth embankment at the eastern end holds it within the valley. This covers about five and a half acres and has seven small islands. It is used for fishing and some boating. There is a boathouse on the north bank and another building used as a snack bar. It is fed by a storm sewer
Ornamental waters. The result of work done on the Roding under Sir Joshua Child. It was then called The Serpentine River and later The Great Lake. Later designs allowed the Roding to flow through it, or not, via a scheme of dams. It covers about 15.0 acres and there are a number of islands but elms on them have died of Dutch Elm disease. Water is pumped into it from the Roding. There is a weir, into the Roding at the south east end. The islands on it are called The Fortifications and this area us now partially flooded. It was built as a wildfowling facility.
Pump house at the northern end of Ornamental Waters. In the 1930s a Gwynne’s Invincible pump, was installed which could shift 800 gallons per minute. This stopped work in 1976 when the drought led to a drastic lowering of flow into the Roding. In 1977 a Flygt medium pressure pump was installed in a pit behind the pump house.
Roman remains. There has been much archaeological work to establish the site of Roman Villa. Roman pottery found 1846. A Roman ruin and mosaic floor was found west of the boathouse at Perch Pond in the 1730's, and found again in the 1960’s
Lincoln Island. An island in the River Roding marked thus on the Ordnance Survey map of 1883, perhaps a transferred name, or so called from some local person or family. It is a site for herons and other birds.
Goes right though the area of parkland