Thames Tributary River Roding - Redbridge roundabout
The Roding continues to flow south
Post to the north Wanstead
Post to the south Wanstead Park
A footpath to Nutter Lane runs alongside the road
Originally a bridle path leading through the Wanstead estate
This is one of the oldest local roads having previously been a through route called ‘George Lane’ or Wanstead Lane - thus it begins at the George Pub in Wanstead. The name was changed in 1934 when Eastern Avenue was built. It is named after a family called "Nutter” - two sisters who were daughters of a City cheese merchant and lived locally.
Roding Farm. This farm stood in the area now covered by allotments and the fields stretched to the River Roding
57-63 Chepstow Cottages. Built in 1892, and also called Roding Cottages
Nutter Lane Recreation Ground – owned by London Borough of Redbridge
Drummond Lawn Tennis Club. In 1921 the club began by people from St Mary’s Church and Christ Church. The name came from Rev Morton Drummond, then rector of Wanstead, and the club used a court in the rectory garden. In 1926 they moved to Nutter Field after it had been left to the parishioners of Wanstead. A pavilion was built and three courts laid out. A new pavilion was opened 1993 after the original was burnt down
Nutter Field – given to the Borough in 1921 by the Nutter sisters.
Wanstead Central Bowls Club
Wanstead and Snaresbrook Cricket Club- the main site for this long established club is in Overton Drive
Stink pipe on the corner of Preston Road and Buckingham Road
The New Wilderness, Eton Manor Rugby Football Club. Founded 1928. The club derives from the Eton Manor Boys' Club which began as the The Manor Charitable Trust in Hackney Wick in the early 20th century. The club was reformed in 1946 and eventually moved to this site – using the name the Wilderness which had been the name of their site in Leyton. In 1946 the club acquired a set of metal posts, one of only three in the UK. The posts were re-installed on the first team pitch at Nutter Lane and are still in use.
Redbridge car park
Red House pub. The pub is now a Beefeater restaurant attached to a Premier Inn.
Redbridge Lane West allotments
Redbridge Leisure Centre – a privately run facility on the site of an older Swimming Bath and Wanstead Sports Centre
Wanstead High School. Very large school built as Wanstead County High School but now a comprehensive which specialises in the performing arts. It was built on the site of a rectory in the 1930s as very early co-educational secondary school. It used a heron as its badge – hence old pupils are "Old Heronians" .It was extended in 1964 and 1974
Gravel Pit. In the 19th Red House Pit was north of the pub and was a gravel extraction site. Five Palaeolithic flint hand-axes were found there, and are now in the British Museum
Roding Lane Free Church. In the early 1930s some land was given to a Mr & Mrs Borton for a church building which they paid to have built. The building was damaged in the Second World War but in the early 1950s this was repaired and another piece of land nearby had been developed as an extension. It is a Baptist church with links to the national Baptist organisations.
Scout Hut used by Little Montessorians Pre School
37 a wardens post in the Second World War at the junction with Redbridge Lane. This was a part buried concrete building.
The road was built in the 1920s and originally numbered A106. It was built together with the Southend Arterial Road, to provide a route to Southend. The whole route opened in 1924 and had a new build wide single carriageway. In the 1950s it was renumbered as part of the A12. In the 1990s it was upgraded as part of the M11 Link road and rebuilt as a dual carriageway.
Redbridge roundabout –This was originally built in the 1970's but in the meantime the roads feeding it have changed. There is a brick tower structure in the centre.
Redbridge Station. Opened in 1947 it lies between Wanstead and Gants Hill stations on the Central Line. Work had started before the Second World War and during the war the station’s completed tunnels were used as a munitions factory by the Plessey Co. – these are proper tube tunnels although the station itself was built by cut and cover methods. It was designed by Charles Holden and repeats, but rather smaller, the circular ticket hall and tower of Chiswick Park station. Originally, it was to be called "West Ilford" or "Red House".
Central Line. Built on marshy land the line was built under twice atmospheric pressure.
Pumping Station, by Bernard W Bryan, engineer, of the East London Water Works Co. in red brick. It is set in its own extensive grounds and has a square central tower, a lower pumping hall and a boiler house behind. There is a sluice in the Roding as it passes the site but the water is pumped here from a deep well.
Cottage. Tudor style gatehouse to the pumping station
Redbridge. This is the bridge over the Roding. The old Red Bridge was at the point at which Eastern Avenue now crosses the river and dated from at least the 18th. It was demolished in 1922 and replaced with a bridge, carrying Eastern Avenue, and built by the Ministry of Transport. Earlier it was called Hocklee's Bridge from the name of a local family.
The Roding is the boundary between Wanstead and Ilford.