Thames Tributary Effra
Springs in this area flow north east towards the line of the Effra
Post to the north Leigham Court Road
Post to the east Knight's Hill
Bishop Thomas Grant Catholic Secondary School. Opened 1960.
Stables built in the 19th at the back of High Street shops. Now used by light industry. Built in brick with slate roofs. Granite setts in the road way.
Portal of London Brighton and South Coast Railway tunnel,
Walls -listed 17th and 18th .
Gorse etc and trees. This path can be seen on maps from the mid-19th as the northern boundary of the small park belonging to Hill House, which was further up the slope to the east.
Bishop Thomas Grant School Rough wild, bramble-strewn
Named after various Lord Russells who lived here.
Streatham High Road
One of London's major arterial roads. From Roman times, and earlier, it was a highway between London and the Weald. The medieval village centre grew up around the parish Church at the Junction of Streatham High Road and Mitcham Lane. Showy commercial buildings and shopping parades were built in the 1880s -1890s. It is the longest continuous High Street in Britain - - running for two miles south of Streatham Hill railway station into Norbury
55-61 parade which matches development on the opposite side of the Road. Striped upper parts Built c.1900 in red brick and decorative gables.
63 free library given by sugar magnate, Tate. It was built on a green field site in1890. Tablet to Tate on the wall. It was designed by Sidney R.J. Smith in stone. Above the door is a stone cupola with a copper dome. The facade is decorated with classical motifs. The clock over the entrance was given in memory of King Edward VII and is by A Brock and put in place in 1912.
65-73 parade of early 1930's shops with offices above.
73a-89 purpose built shops with flats above. 1909 shown on a rain water hopper head, ironwork in Art Nouveau style plus head of Medusa at the front. Stone turret at the end and at the comer.
95 Victorian building with a later shop
97-99 single storey shops fronting late 18th buildings. In the 1920's this was Boots, the chemist and later John Collier, Fifty-Shilling Tailor.
Police Station. 1912 by Dixon Butler. The Police Station, this is the second police station here, Thus is in red brick with stone dressings and there is a foundation stone by the main door rear extension built 1913.
103-105 The Goose was previously the Furze and Firkin pub. This is on the site of the Thrale Almshouses but the building was a Burton’s shop from 1932. This was built in their house style by Harry Wilson of Roundhay, Leeds. The facade is decorated-with-elephant heads and there is a "jazz" panel across the front. A plaque commemorates its opening by Stanley Burton. There was a billiard saloon on the first floor. The building has also used been as a Job Centre,
107-109 The Holland Tringham Pub. This is a Wetherspoons pub. Tringham was a Victorian artist who lived in Streatham in the late 19th century. He is known, for six sketches of Streatham, The three windows on the first floor were a private house.
111-119 single storey shops, which front 18th or 19th buildings.
121 glazed shop window on the first floor.
123 George Pratt's drapery shop and there is a plaque with the initials G.P. and F.P. 1889. This was a Victorian suburban department store extended in several stages.
137-141 Barclays Bank 1883 in the traditional bank chamber style of the period.
Row of small two-storied 19th shops are a relic of the original village. Originally part of Bedford Row.
Shops built on part of Bedford Row in the early 1880s. Date plaques in the brickwork
149 Manna Christian Centre
179 Thai restaurant built in the early 20th for David Gregg. Original shop front with sash window, which opened onto the street to display dairy products on a marble slab. Inside marble counter with decorative tiles, a black and white mosaic floor with thistle motifs, wall tiles with a frieze of thistles and the a pay kiosk in surrounded by glass and brown tiles.
186 Lloyds Bank, brick with decorative swags.
194-198 Iceland supermarket. Modern shop front with a windowless upper area,
210-224 chain stores in a 1996 building by Tripe and Wakeham. Site of Pratt’s Department Stores, Eldon House. Pratt took a drapery store in Bedford Road and moved here in 1867. It was later taken over by the John Lewis Partnership who closed it in 1990.
226-228 site of Rumbelow's. 1930's cream faience frontage.
230 small single shop in 18th building
Sports shop in what was Iceland Supermarket. Red brick block, designed by David Stem and Partners. On the site of Streatham Methodist Church designed by Charles Ball and built in 1882. Demolished in 1967.
Bedford Park Hotel built in 1882 replacing the Old Five Bells, by Streatham Green. The foundations are said to be on the Roman Road. Victorian metal canopies over the entrance
225 Ye Old PO “in the post war post office building. Site of the Empire Cinema-bombed in 1944.
Queens Parade shops 1882-1900. Red brick
Hobgoblin which used to be The White Lion. Built and designed by F. Gough and Co in 1895 replacing an earlier pub with the same name. In red brick with a fancy facade, and two octagonal chimneys,
240 - 246 red brick shops 1889. Facades with acanthus leaf decoration.
250 leaded casement window which is in Dorothy Perkins house style.
Central Parade on the site of the Shrubbery demolished in 1933. In a simple moderne style by Dixon and Braddock.
The Shrubbery. The grounds ran down to Tooting Bec Common. It is said to have had underground passages, one going to a vault in the churchyard, another to the Priory on Bedford Hill, and a third leading to a wood with a via a tunnel for 30 or 40 feet, lined with bricks. There us the usual sort of legend runs that the house was once a nunnery and the nuns found one of the passages useful.
256-268 Parade designed by John S.Quilter in 1901.
National Westminster Bank purpose built bank building
Russell House, manor house belonging to the Dukes of Bedford, dated from 1695, pulled down 1932
Flats between Streatham station and the Ice Rink 1,000 flats and were the largest in south London
St.Leonard's church. The church dates from the 1350's and it is the oldest building in Streatham with Saxon foundations. The tower is mid 14th and inside there is a 14th tower arch. The church was rebuilt in 1832 by Parkinson, and again in 1862 by Benjamin Ferrey. It was burnt out in 1975 and again partly rebuilt by the Douglas Feast Partnership. It is listed Grade II. Monuments, to Sir Edmund Tilney, Master of the Revels 1610; John Howland, Lord of the Manor, 1686 and the Thrale family.
Bedford House 18th Manor house of the Duke of Bedford, demolished.
Churchyard. The Only village churchyard left in Lambeth. It has a number of mature trees including a cedar of Lebanon, walnut and a yew. Traces of pre-Christian burials were discovered here when the church was rebuilt in the 19th, and it is thought that there was a Roman fort here... It is now enclosed by metal railings, tombs, four of which are listed. Coade stone chest tomb to Joseph Hay 1808.
Coventry Hall, built 1799, opposite the site of Streatham Station. Demolished.
270-290 block of 1933 on the site of the old village forge. Art Deco style, in grey brick with Crittall windows. Green glazed pantiles. By T.P. Bennett & Sons
374-380 red brick commercial building
382 carpet showroom single storey shop, if 1930's, was pr3ewviouysly an Austin garage
United Reform church formerly Congregational. 1900. Large, plain, sound brick structure in the Gothic style. By James Cubitt.
386 Ice rink. Opened in 1931 and designed in the moderne style by specialist cinema architect, Robert Cromie. It has a long low monumental facade 23with Art Deco doorways with a large single window with a keystone device. The ice surface was 21,000 sq ft and could accommodate 1,000 skaters. There were also Restaurants and a dance floor. Many original features were lost in 1960s alterations and it is not listed. Closed and likely to be redeveloped by Tesco.
Streatham Baths on the site of a house called Park Lodge. Streatham Pool was designed by the Wandsworth Borough Architect, Ernest J. Elford in a classical civic style, pool building faced in red brick and a central front door. Inside is a vaulted glass roof over the pool with stained glass motifs. Building the baths began in 1924 and it was opened in 1927. Also known as Streatham Leisure Centre. Likely to be demolished and rebuilt by Tesco.
Big block with a clock
390 Streatham Car Raceway in Streatham Bus Garage. Operated by LGOC from 1913 and rebuilt 1987. Closed following privatisation.
Streatham Station. Originally 1868. Between Tulse Hill and Tooting and also Mitcham Junction on Thameslink. Between Tulse Hill and Streatham Common on Southern Trains. Streatham Central Railway station, rebuilt in 1898 when the entrance was moved to the High Road. Major rebuilding in the 1980's when Safeways was built and the station given a new frontage building. The station buildings and the southbound platform with the original canopy survive.
Bridge Parade. Short row of single storey lockup shops built over the railway line
Hopton Parade. Single storey shops
245 - Century House. Art Deco building with granite corner stone laid by Alderman Sidney Sanders J.P. in 1938. Built as the headquarters of the jewellers James Walker and Sanders & Sons. One of the largest chains of jewellery shops in Britain it was taken over by H. Samuel in 1984. The building is an early example of office to flats conversion. An art deco stone clad tower with a main entrance reached by a grand flight of steps with the original metal handrails. The six storey office block is along Hopton Street. The tower has integral clock faces
New Covenant Church in what was Trinity United Reform Church 1876-7 by George & Peto. Brick with stone dressings.
5 Compton was built by Norman Shaw for a painter, G. H. Best, in 1872-3. Tile-hung with a Gothic porch. Nice staircase inside.
13 plaque to Arnold Bax saying 'Composer was born here’
St Andrew’s Catholic Primary School
27 The Thrale Almshouses, were originally built on Streatham High Road next to the police station in 1832 by three daughters of Henry Thrale. They gave housing for four poor women who had "attained an honest old age" in Streatham. They were demolished in 1930 when the land was sold. Eight new homes, designed by Cecil M Quilter, were built here. More houses were built in 1939 in memory of some Tory woman. The homes are still in use
Coventry Hall. Retirement homes
Whittington Day Care and Health Centre. The Round House. Architect Ted Cullinan's office.
Streatham Vestry Hall. built around 1875 and ended public use c 1900. Its lower part in shop use.
Previously known as Leigham Lane
1 free standing building with a shop on the ground floor level and flats above. red brick with a decorative gable end.
Refuge Temple. This was a chapel of ease to St Leonard’s dedicated to All Saints. This was for the servants while the gentry were at St Leonard’s. Services began 10 minutes later and finished 10 minutes earlier.
40-42; 60-78; 84-90 modest early to mid 19th villas
Sunnyhill Board School. Good Bailey school 1900. Plain gabled.
Namba Roy Road
Unigate Wood. A variety of trees make up the wood including three species of oak - English, evergreen and an American red oak.
Well.House. Streatham mineral wells were near The Rookery but by 1792, the wells were contaminated and closed. New wells were found near Valley Road and a Well House was built in 1783 and later became the Valley Road farm house. The well was damaged in WW2 and closed, but the house has been restored in a residential development. [
186 Unigate Dairy. This was the well house/farm site of Curtis Dairies which used to deliver water as well as milk. The well house was part of the Dairy. Unigate Dairies still use part of the site - United Dairies, merged with Cow and Gate to form Unigate Dairies -
Small villas, from the first half of the 19th.
Part of Streatham Garden Village originally a housing development for the workers employed by United Dairies,