Thames Tributary Effra
The Effra continues to flow north through this area.
TQ 31690 76704
Area north of Brixton Centre and much the same inner city mix but without the big shops. Big houses converted to various projects, lively music venues and pubs, schools, social support organisations together with parks and gardens.
Post to the north Kennington
Post to the east Camberwell
Post to the south Brixton
56 home of Dan Leno 1860-1904 whose real name was George Galvin. Plaque erected 1962. Cary Grant later lived in the same house.
Camberwell Submarine. Concrete structure in the middle of the road. Boiler rooms for heating local housing.
Linking Kennington and Brixton on the line of the Effra.
Effra –the stream here was said to be 12 ft wide and 6 ft deep. It ran through the front gardens on the west side of road and each was linked to the road by a bridge. In the Second World War a bomb at the corner of Angell Road uncovered the Effra sewer.
St Martin’s Farm was at the corner of Loughborough Road. A painting of 1784 shows the Effra at this point.
143-145 Youth Centre
147 early 19th house. Listed Grade II
152-160 listed terrace
162 listed villa with coach house
168 listed villa
180-182 Muslim Cultural Centre. Library of the Anti-Slavery Society
195-203 listed 19th terrace
198-220 201/211 213-215 listed terraces and villas
230-234 Christ People’s Missionaries International. The building was previously used by NACRO.
246 Crown and Anchor. Said to be the home of the ‘first rock and roll club’ in the 1950s.
247 small house which was listed, but has now been delisted.
261 Jamm was Ye Olde White Horse dating from the late 18th. It was a coaching inn, and later the horse bus terminus. There was a cab rank in front going back to horse drawn days.
287-291 Brixton Motor Works - now demolished for flats. This was the Phoenix Bus Garage and Watle Coach Co. in the 1920s.
297a Marshall’s. Private bus garage in 1932. Since demolished. In 1824 it was the Shanghai Co. With three buses, then the Summerhill Bus which was also called Oxford Mercury Bus. This was taken over by LPTB and closed down.
308-320 listed terrace.
300 Baytree Centre. Run by the Dawliffe Hall Educational Foundation, for support to women and girls
309-313 listed terrace
336 Community Advice Centre
337-339 listed end terrace villas
340 Lambeth Registry Office in listed 19th villa
357-361 High Victorian urban terrace. Restored by Lambeth c.1979. This was part of a development called Holland Town, built on Lord Holland's land soon after the opening up of Camberwell New Road. Listed
Eagle Printing Works
Christ Church Primary School. A National Society School of 1860 for Christ Church, Brixton Road. Designed by Henry Currey. The infants’ school was 1876, rebuilt in 1904; and remodelled in 1909. The school was bombed the Second World War of 1939–45. Rebuilt 2010.
1-48 Calais Gate. Mansion block flats Grade II listed.
St.Gabriel's College. This was St. Gabriel‘s Church Training College for Women Teachers opened in July 1899 designed by Philip A. Robson.. The chapel was the personal gift of Canon C. E. Brooke, vicar of St. John the Divine, dedicated in 1903 and it features a statue of the saint. Used as a First World War military hospital. The college eventually became part of Goldsmiths and they used it as an annexe until 1987. Listed Grade II, Wall and gates also listed. Now flats following a brief use as a commercial college.
Stannard Hall. Remains of one of the residential blocks of St.Gabriel’s College. In commercial use.
Charles Edward Brooke Girls School. This was Kennington School and is now the lower school of a Church of England Girls Secondary School. A three-decker built in 1898 it is by T. J. Bailey for the London School Board. Listed.
Myatts Fields. This is part of the area of the Minet estate of the 1890s. It was part of a 109-acre estate, owned by Sir Edward Knatchbull in 1745 who sold it to Hughes Minet in 1770. He was one of a Huguenot family of French refugees. The estate was then agricultural land and let in the late 19th to Joseph Myatt, a market gardener. The area given covered twelve acres –whereas previously Myatt grew on l4 ½ which were noted for strawberries. It was presented to the public in 1889 by Mr. William Minet and The London County Council was then given the park in 1889 by the Met. Public Gardens Association. It has wrought iron gates, a 19th bandstand and it is laid out with flower gardens, tennis courts, and bowling green. It is a smaller-scale Victorian urban park. The Park retains many of its original features including the layout of the paths, some of the flowerbeds, the 1894 bandstand and round summer house. It was designed by Fanny Wilkinson, one of the first professional women landscape gardeners and a suffragette. It was laid out by the Metropolitan Public Gardens Association for £10,000 with a grant from the Lord Mayor’s Fund for the unemployed. In the First World War it was the site of a military hospital in huts where Vera Brittain worked. It was used for air raid shelters in the Second World War.
11-27 terrace of villas restored by Lambeth. Two storey houses with high doorways, with blind arches between each house. 1824.
L.C.C. flats 1935.
Durand Primary School. Annexe to a main school in Stockwell.
58 Wickwood Tavern. Built in 1868 and owned by Young's since 1922. The name refers to holdings of the old Manor of Lambeth Wick. Closed
LCC flats. In a road named after Gosling, Labour MP Whitechapel
St.James. designed by George Low and opened 1870. Given by the estate owner, James Minet. It is in Kentish rag. It is now Black Roof Housing.
Minet Library. Gift of William Minet local landowner and benefactor. The octagonal building of 1890 by George Hubbard was destroyed in Second World War bombing and its replacement is 1956
Longfield Hall, 1889, with corner entrances. Gifted by William Minet, this was the Parochial Hall.
Hart House. With design of hart on the frontage. Old pub, The White Hart
Vent pipe in the middle of the road
81 London City Mission
13 The Onion Shed. At one time a lock up sized theatre.
Pleasant terraces at the north end best surviving c19 areas
1 Iveagh House, by Armstrong & MacManus. Built 1954, this is a block of bed sitters plus a café, intended for working women.
Loughborough Road Estate. This is described as an early example of mixed development by the London County Council under C. L. Martin, chief architect in 1953. It was influenced directly by Corbusier's Unite d'Habitation.
Lambeth Wick Estate. This was built in the grounds of the old manor house. The medieval manor was known as ‘Wyk’ meaning 'a specialized farm or trading settlement' – and a word often associated with a riverside area. It was also known in the late medieval period as ‘Water Lambeth’ 1573, - that is 'the Lambeth manor by a pool or stream‘. – This may, of course, refer to the River Effra, flowed to the west of this site.
39 Loughborough Hotel on the site of Lambeth Wick house which was later known as Loughborough House. This was owned by Henry Hastings, Baron Loughborough and was which was at the junction with Evandale Road. It became a boys' school and was eventually demolished in 1854.
Named for landowner Minet, but actually on the Holland Estate and originally called Holland Road.
Loughborough Primary School. Opened 2002.
Marcus Lipton Youth Club
9 Liz Atkinson Children’s Centre
Wesleyan Chapel 1868 by J. Tarring. Red brick
Mostyn Gardens named after the British painter Thomas Edwin Mostyn 1864-1930
20 Cafe Cairo which was the Normandy Pub which closed. Was once called the Cowley Arms
Langport House Angell Town Estate Office. Regenerated in a traditional street pattern with solar roofs, recycled construction materials, etc.
Dan Leno Gardens. Named after the comedian who lived locally and designed for people with disabilities.
19 Paulet Arms. Converted to flats
Stockwell Park Estate
Built in 1976 and very big. Designed by the Lambeth Architect's Department in a grid of yellow brick blocks. Some community facilities
SourcesBaytree Centre. Web site
Blue Plaque Guide
Charles Edward Brooks Girls School. Web site
Christ Church Primary School. Web site
Cinema Treasures. Web siteClunn. The Face of London
Christ People’s Missionaries International. Web siteDay London Underground
Hillman. London Under London
London Borough of Lambeth, Web site
Nairn. Nairn’s London
Pevsner and Cherry. South London Thames Basin Archaeology of Industry Group. Report
Williams. London and South Western Railway