Thames Tributary Effra
Tributaries from the area flow, or are said to have flowed, to meet the main stream of the Effra flowing northwards
Post to the east Brockwell Park
Built in the same design style of Josephine Avenue.
This was known as Cornwall Gardens until 1936
Windmill. The nearest surviving windmill to the centre of London. It was built in 1816 for Ashby and Sons, Millers, and remained in their ownership throughout its working life. It is a tower mill built of 18 in. thick brickwork coated with tar and probably made with old ship's timbers. It is 39 ft. high topped with a boat-shaped wooden cap 9 ft. high. It was driven entirely by wind until 1862 when the Ashby family moved their business to Mitcham, the Brixton neighbourhood had become built up and the mill was no longer efficient. The sails were removed and it was used for storage. In 1902 a steam and later a gas engine were installed and the mill continued until 1934 when the demand for wholemeal flour died out. When Joshua Ashby grandson of the original owner, died the mill was left to his housekeeper and administered by a Trust. In 1957 it was bought by the London County Council who laid the area out as a public garden. In 1964 it was restored but not put in working order. The sails were new but most of the materials came from a derelict mill at Burgh-Le-Marsh. It was given to Lambeth Council in 1971
Blenheim Gardens Estate. Low-rise redevelopments built by Lambeth Council Architects Department in 1971 and 1974 as an entirely pedestrian scheme.
22 Windmill Pub. Modern pub with lots of live music
Post Office and sorting office, terracotta 1891.
Windmill Terrace, playground for children; Housing
A road which slopes downhill northwards towards Brixton centre and central London. It is part of the London to Brighton road, A23, and follows the line of a Roman road which left Stane Street near Kennington. It was once known as Brixton Causeway and passed through a series of open spaces and common land. A gallows stood here in the 1720s, specifically to deal with highwaymen who worked this main road between London and Croydon It is marked as ‘Brixton Hill’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1816. Rush Common. This is a legacy of the building restrictions in the 1806 Enclosure Act and is the remains of the Brixton Wastes. And the common continues southwards almost as far as the South Circular. It is now woodland of mature plane, lime, ash, yew, evergreen oak, horse-chestnut and some false-acacias. Many trees are in straight rows at right angles to the road and are in fact old field boundaries. There are birds and Squirrels may occasionally be seen.
100-112c with its ceramic tile frieze
101-103 Brixton Cinematograph. Opened 1911 as the Brixton Hill Cinematograph in a shop conversion by 'cinema king,' Montague Pike. It was known as the Scala in 1914, and then the New Royalty in the 1930s before closing in 1957. In 1954 it was called the Clifton Cinema with 998 seats. Front with curved gable and half dome above the entrance, the auditorium was demolished in the 1970's but the foyer has survived with original decorative Edwardian plasterwork.
108 post office54-46 Brixton Centre. Lambeth Community College.
89-111 row of shops infringing the rules about encroaching upon Rush Common. 94 White Horse. Carriage entrance leading to former stables behind. 18th inn serving travellers on the main road. 95 Cottage from 18th which in fringed the commons act so it predates 1806 Grade II listed - In 1880 single storey shop on the forecourt
Blenheim Mansions with original grand entrance and bulls-eye fanlight
Brixton Customer CentreBrixton Hill Court red brick facade with stone dressings similar to apartment buildings of the same era in America.
Capital PrintersChristchurch House. 1938 with entrances in green ceramic tiles, and original front doors and stone surround
Corpus Christi R.C. Begun 1886; by F. Bentley but only the chancel and transepts were built. Striped brick and stone, in the style of c. 1300.
Dumbarton Court, privately built apartment block 1939 in moderne style by Couch and Coupland. It has bands of contrasting brickwork and original wrap around Crittall windows.
Effra Court red brick facade with stone dressings
New Park Court 1938
Raleigh Gardens. Built mid 1890s a line of three storey terraced villas of redbrick and stone dressings, set back behind long front gardens to respect the Rush Common Enclosure Act. Built in the grounds of Raleigh House
Raleigh House. The estate was divided for building in 1887.It was a Georgian house. The Effra ran through the 4 acre grounds. It was considered as the site for a public a park but Brockwell Park was used instead, although Raleigh House site was cheaper. The Commons Act meant some of its area could not be built on.
Renton Close. Originally called Briscoe's Buildings, 1906 by the L.C.C. architects department, with influence of the arts and crafts movement. Ceramic tiles on the ground floor plinth and art nouveau style doorway heads
Royal Mail pillar box with initials of Edward VIII and an enamel Post Office direction
South Side Bar. Pub previously the George IV late Victorian with ironwork, stone balustrades and a copper-clad turret topped with a seagull weathervane.
Tile Giant building in front of remains of Cambrian Landray bus garage.
Tudor Court. Semi-wild front garden of the 20th flats. Swimming pool at the back. Privately rented service flats fashionable in the 1920's and 1930's. It has over 100 flats designed to accommodate a younger generation of single people and couples. Designed by A.W. Reading in 1933 with half-timbered Tudor-style gables, grouped around a central courtyard with a fountain, flower beds and lawns.
Brixton Water Lane
Known as Watery Lane as the area was marshy
36 Montego Inn. Jamaican bar and restaurant.
Brixton Hill Methodist Church, with old school and church at the back of a new church, the chapel was rebuilt in a, restrained mid-20th Scandinavian style in 1957 after the 1860's church was destroyed in the Blitz. The first chapel was built in 1824; and rebuilt in 1856–7 by William Wesley Jenkins and destroyed by bombing in the Second World War. Sunday School 1874. In London stock brick and stained glass window
The name commemorates the shepherd of Mount Latmus of whom the moon goddess became enamoured
Sudbourne Primary School
Laid out in the 1890's with terraces with gothic arches above the first floor windows
51 Horsford Road Jesuit Community
Brixton Prison. It is on the site of an area used Christopher Hall a Southwark merchant, as a source of brick earth in 1802, Sold for a prison in 1819 and designed by Thomas Chawner, Surrey County Surveyor, with central polygonal block and radiating wings as the Surrey House of Correction.. Planned in the form of a crescent, with the octagonal governor's house in the centre and included a treadmill. At first it was used for female convicts sentenced to transportation and penal servitude, but in 1853 it was bought by the Government for male prisoners including those on remand. The footings for the treadmill remain and are visible and the former execution suite is now a cell with six beds.
Brixton Water Works. Built on Hall’s brickworks site by the Lambeth Waterworks Company which had been established in 1785 and became part of the Metropolitan Water Board in 1903. In 1834 obtained an act of Parlisment to extend its area of supply and also bought 16 acres here to build a reservoir and works. The earliest surviving buildings are c1850 in a simple stock brick design. Pump house in a beaux arts style of c1930. In 1850 this was their -second lift pumping station with a Pumping engine 930 hp. Initially to send Filtered water from Surbiton and Waltham to Streatham. In 1870 three new engines were installed. To pump water to Crystal Palace and two more engines in 1880. By 1930 there were three engine houses with 9 engines and another engine house to pump to Norwood, Forest Hill, Selhurst, Streatham Hill, Rock Hill and Crystal Palace tank. The steam plant was scrapped in 1935.
Ring Main Shaft. The London water ring main passes under here at about 45 metres underground and this was a construction site with an access shaft.
Planned in the late 1860's in accordance with Rush Common Act. There are some old and very big oaks which may predate the of 1806.
Urban Art Festival –annual event with art works hung on street railings.
Kings Avenue Primary School. New buildings
Territorial Army Centre.
84 Victoria House, survivor of Cubitt estate of 1849
87 Avenue House BBC Research Department, former residence of the governor of Brixton Prison. A small workshop and stores had been built in the forecourt of the house and a garage held the transport fleet of about eight vehicles. An asbestos bungalow was built in the garden Designs Section occupied a long room across the end of the bungalow. Outside the front door there stood two “lion-like creatures about 4ft high, which had been made by one of the prisoners. When the department moved to Chiswick in 1958 they moved too.
89, survivor of Cubitt estate of 1849
96-104 1950-5 close, around a green
The name is a reference to a man of Abydos who swam the Hellespont every night to join his beloved, Hero.
Corpus Christi RC Primary SchoolNew Testament Church of God Brixton Community Church. This was St.Saviour’s church. Built 1874 by Robins in ragstone.
Ancient path once known as Back Lane.
2 Royal Oak closed. Charrington pub demolished 2006
59 Kings Acre Methodist Church. Wesleyan Mission Chapel of 1886, now includes St.Saviour which was on Brixton Hill
61 Clapham Youth Centre
89 Duke of Cornwall. Closed pub now flats
115 Windmill Lodge Care Centre. Excel looks new
131 The Cabin. Pavilion like structure for nursery
169-171 Prince of Wales pub
191 Red Lion. Closed pub Rebuilt as housing infill
199-213 Williamsons Ltd's bakery. The three floor facade of c1905 unifies several buildings. Disused.
206 Waggon and Horses pub
250 All Saints Church 1889 by Talbot Bury & Hening. Kentish rag; Decorated. Listed.
Mural. The Windmill by Mick Harrison and Caroline Thorp 1983. It tells the history of Brixton's Windmill.
Livity Special School. Built as Windmill Junior Training School with two octagonal blocks, one with a therapeutic pool, the other a hall.
Tuborg House. Sign about lager on the wall.
Depot of Carter, Patterson, carriers, rebuilt and extended 1904. One and two storey buildings around a cobbled yard, with later infill.
Mural with horses right along the wall. By Jane Gifford & Ruth Bench and assisted by Jonathan Leckie and Ann Herdman 1983.
Tuborg factory, in the Carter Patterson Depot. Original features included horse' stables and vast tanks underneath full of beer.
Ashby Mill School primary school called after the Ashby family with its swimming pool. Closed and converted to housing
Landscaped shrubberies and trees surround a lawn which is officially only open to residents
1a Marie Stopes South London Centre
40 Pub Mango Landin Formerly an old fashioned boozer, Mango Landing was fashioned into the vodka 'Babushka Bar' in the late 1990s, closed, squatted and turned into a jumping venue before its current owners gave the place a hose-down and reopened the place as a smart pub
Strathleven & Mauleverer Road housing. 1991, housing association scheme by MacCormac Jamieson and Prichard.
5 Covenant House. New Covenant Church
Waterworks administration building of c1925 with a stone porch.
Bus garage buildings of the Landry and Co. Haulage Co – which became the Cambrian-Landray Group garage. Later used by LT for Green Line and private hire buses. The Lambray garage remained there. In the 1920s Landry had a small garage and three charabancs, a lorry and a coach. Private buses were kept there in the 1920s. And the firm made the money from renting space to bus operators. The entrance was in Water Works Road. It was used by London General Country Services Ltd. until the mid 1930s.