Thames Tributary River Mole - Chilbrook
The Mole flows south west and is joined by the Chilbrook Stream
TQ 10793 58154
Pleasant village area in upmarket countryside
Post to the west Hatchford Park
Post to the north Cobham
Post to the east Downside
Post to the south Downside Horsley Road
Chilbrook Farm Road
Chilbrook refers to a stream in this area.
Chilbrook Farm. 18th, with mid 17th origins. It is in red brick with black brick headers and has gabled dormers and a brick and wood porch. There is a "priest's hole" at the side of a first floor brick chimney stack accessed from floorboards in the attic
Hamlet with model cottages.
Downside Common Road
St. Matthews Church of England, Primary Schools. Building of 1867
The Cricketers Pub. The building is mid 16th but first noted as a pub in the mid 19th.
Downside and Hatchford Village Hall
Cobham Stud Farm. Opened by Charles Coombe on the site of a pub called the Wagon and Horses. The stud revolved round a stallion called Blair Atholl. Now a fencing company
1 Cossins, residential care home. In 1465 maintained as Cosyns but the present house is 18th
Park Farmhouse – could also be a medieval foundation along with Cosyns but this house is late 16th. A central chimney stack house with a safer brick chimney in a wooden house.
Cossins Farm. Various light industrial units in some of the farm buildings, including The Frame Factory, and S.Burvill Forge.
Curtain Pond Cottages
Wrens Nest Cottage
Half Penny Cross. Nearby is a deep gully through which the Chilbrook runs. The gully is called Ceole which was a Saxon word for throat.
British Listed Buildings. Web site
Cricketers. Web site
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
St. Matthews School. Web site
Taylor. Cobham. A History