Thames Tributary River Mole - Cherkley
The Mole flows north west
TQ 17341 54504
Posh area of housing and big houses on the edge of Box Hill and along the Mole
Post to the west Norbury Park
Post to the south Mickleham
Bronze Age farmstead found nearby. Thatched buildings surrounded by a ditch
Iron Age pottery found
Givons Grove house – at one time the home of H.Roe & Marie Stopes. The house has now gone.
North east is a double ditched trackway flanked by ‘Celtic fields’. There is also a large oval enclosure.
Barrow in the area has been excavated and burial urns found. Probably Bronze or Iron Age.
Drive to Cherkely Court
Cherkley Court the residence of Lord Beaverbrook from 1907. House c.1870, built for Abraham Dixon, and rebuilt again after a fire. Stuccoed brick. Pavilions and moulding and parapets and urns and balustrades and stuff all over the place. Service block.
Lodge on drive to Cherkley Court. c.1870. Stucco on brick,
Lower Lodge identical to the other Lodge
British History. Online. Surrey
Pevsner and Cherry. Surrey
Surrey County Council. Web site