Thames Tributary River Mole - Stoke D'Abernon

Thames Tributary River Mole
The Mole now flows north west

Post to the west Downside
Post to the east Cobham Road
Post to the south Bookham Lodge

Station Road
Cobham and Stoke d'Abernon Station. Opened 1885 and is now Between Effingham Junction and Oxshott on South Western Rail.

Stoke Road
‘Stoke’ itself may mean a stockaded manor – and ‘D’Abernon’ relates to a Norman landowner.
Lower Farm. This is now a livery stable. 16th house to rear with a 17th granary addition at the front and also a 19th wing. Timber framed with whitewashed brick cladding and red brick.
Parkside School. Another posh fee paying school – says it is a ‘prep’ school for young boys. This one was founded in 1879 at East Horsley, and moved here in 1979.
Manor House. This is now used by the ‘prep’ school above . Home of Josiah Wedgewood II in the late 18th. It is a Grade II listed, mid-18th Palladian villa which incorporates a Tudor timber framed house which was visited by Elizabeth. The medieval great hall was converted to the entrance area in the 18th and a new exterior to the house put in place. There were also later alterations by Aston Webb including a porch in 1911. Speculation of a roman building under the lawn because of grid like crop marks and the manor itself was originally Saxon. From the mid-1950s it was owned by Baldwin steel makers as a training college. It later became the Civil Service College for Administrative Grades, and was later owned by the Inner London Education Authority who were unable to use it.
Tithe Barn built around 1630, used as a gymnasium. 16th Red brick
Dairy - this is octagonal with Delft tiles
St. Mary’s. The only church beside the river Mole and the oldest church in Surrey. The oldest parts are Saxon walls built about A.D. 900 of flint, but with many tons of Roman bricks and other material worked into the fabric. There is a contemporary sundial outside, remade in 1933, and a blocked doorway 12 ft above the floor, is said to have given access to a refuge against Danish invaders. An avenue of chestnuts leads to the church, which was restored and extended in 1866. Inside is a medieval Fresco of Adoration of the Lamb and a brass of John D' Abernon 1277, which is the oldest in the country. There is a chantry chapel with a Tudor fire- place, built by Sir John Norbury in thanksgiving for his safe return from the Battle of Bosworth. A pillar by the altar is from Brighton Pavilion. The pulpit is 17th is probably from the Netherlands; but its ironwork is probably Wealden. There are many other important monuments and brasses
Training ground of Chelsea Football Club. Chelsea is in the Premiership League but the entrance to the training ground is suitably discreet and the uninitiated would hardly be aware of its existence.
Upper Farm


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town