Thames Tributary- The Rye - Epsom Common
The Rye flows south and then turns abruptly west on its way to the River Mole.
54 tower and battlements. A folly built round some cottages
This becomes Epsom Road at the local authority boundary
Coal Post on the down side embankment of the railway where it crosses The Rye. A stone coal dues obelisk, about 14ft high with the City's coat of arms on the front. This is of the type placed beside railways under an act of 1851 which defined the area of taxation as that within 20 miles of the General Post Office. The post may have been moved here from another site when the area was matched to that of the Metropolitan Police District in 1861.
This becomes Dorking Road at the boundary
Coal Post. On the north side of Dorking Road, a few yards towards Epsom from Craddocks Avenue, south east of the centre of Epsom Wells Estate. At the point at which the road names change.
Wells Estate. The Greenway was built by 1932 but the estate was mainly built after the Second World War
Older houses than the Wells Estate and the Rye Stream lie between the road and the common with attractive wooden bridges.