London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
1 Kidbrook Boundary goes
from Shooters Hill Road to here.
Harvey Sports Ground.
Kidbrook parish boundary goes from 1 Begbie Road to about 26 Eastbrook Road.
The centre of Charlton should correctly be called The
Village.It is in the Domesday Book of
1086 as ‘Cerletone’ - 'village held by villeins' - and recorded as a score of
'free village'. So The Village gave allegiance only to the king.The manor was pulled down to make way for
Charlton House which, with the church and the pub look onto the village
green.The old centre is at the meeting
of Charlton Road and Charlton Church Lane.
Charlton Church Lane
when a 17th century landowner and fur dealer having lost all his
warehouse stock in the Great Fire of London 1666 tried unsuccessfully to
restart his business by breeding conies. The area was later excavated for chalk
and sand and when exhausted became a refuse dump. . Owned by Harvey’s for a while.
Coutts House. Large
housing complex named to honour Greenwich Borough Councillor Mrs M.Coutts
erected on a site previously known as the Warren. Built on the Continental
'raft system' - a concrete platform to prevent subsidence. 1976. Built with great difficulty. Less appealing stack of concrete boxes of c.
1970, building up to an eight-storey centre.Demolished 2004.
Cattle Trough and Drinking
On the west side is a quarry hollow
with old wooden house occupied by a postman at the bottom. Beyond this is a row
of 2-storey houses built on the edge of an old sand pit, known as the Warren. .
A large house here and, between Nadine Road and Wellington Road, a row of
shops. On east side near the Church are some Almshouses occupied by old
"Dutch or other foreigners". Then 3-storey houses. Architect and
others keeping servants. Near the railway station, shops on both sides, the
east side being modern 3-storey houses. (Booth)
Homes fit for Heroes
designed by Alfred Roberts for Greenwich Council 1920-21. Small scale rough
cast and tiled.L.C.C tradition, plain
but well designed.Straightforward pantiled and roughcast cottage
Charlton House. Community Centre. Built by Sir Adam Newton, tutor to Henry Prince of
Wales, c. 1607-12. Later owners were Sir William Ducie, Sir William Langhorne,
East India merchant, after 1680, and in the c19 the Maryon Wilson family, for
whom Norman Shaw restored the house in 1877-8. Acquired by the Borough in 1925.
Charlton House is the only Jacobean mansion of the first order remaining in
London. It is E-shaped with four symmetrical bay-windows at the ends of the
wings and two towers in the centres of the wings, which frame the building. It
has three storeys above cellars, and is built of red brick with stone
dressings.. the door surround and the bay-window above have exuberant and
undisciplined ornament. the position of the Hall is as revolutionary – it
two-storeyed, at right angles to front and back, and runs right across the
building. Inside is an elaborately carved staircase, with a square open well
with Victorian plasterwork. On the second floor saloon has an original plaster
ceiling and a marble fireplace with carved figures of Venus and Vulcan and In
the bay-window c 17 heraldic glass with the Ducie arms.On the second floor the wing is taken up by
the long gallery, with a plaster ceiling and replacement panelling and more
heraldic glass with the Ducie arms. the White Drawing Room has a stone
fireplace with caryatids, and relief scenes showing Perseus and Pegasus;
Triumph of Christ and Triumph of Death. the fireplace in the adjacent bed room
has a scene is derived from an engraving by Abraham de Bruyn. On the first
floor, the Ducie Room has a fireplace of the 1660s. On the ground floor a the
former library, has a wooden Jacobean fireplace and the dining room, with
another stone fireplace.. One room was a chapel. There are stories of mysterious bad luck and ill omens
there - is it all to do with the Priory of Sion? In the First World War there
was a gas chamber for testing gas masks and a demonstration room to make a room
bombproof.A tunnel leads from the house
across the road. John Thorpe, who also built Holland
House, is considered to have been the architect, though its plainness have
often led to an Inigo Jones, who lived nearby in Cherry Orchard House.The house and position of Lord of The Manor
passed through several hands – one was William Langhorne who had been British
Governor of Madras. At 84 he married a 17 year old girl but died heirless., the
property was inherited by the wife of Sir Thomas Spencer Wilson whose daughter,
Jane married Spencer Perceval wholived in the house and has the distinction of
being the first Prime Minister of Britain to be assassinated in the House of
Commons. The house passed to their son, Sir Thomas Maryon Wilson and
remainedin the family for the next
century and in 1870, provided a games room and bedrooms to the design of Norman
Shaw.In the 1914-1918 War it was used
as a military hospital, officers in the house, and troops were under canvas in
the grounds. Sir Spencer Maryon-Wilson sold the estate to the council in
Ha Ha. In front of the house lies a
ha-ha, designed to keep farm animals out while maintaining the view. The grass
area between the ha-ha and the house, once the village green, is the location
for the famous Charlton Horn Fair, dating from the 16th century. It was revived
in recent years following a long break, imposed during the 19th century due to
Norman Shaw extension 1877
Two-storeyed buildings once part of the spacious stables - now the local rent
office and art workshops, and the initials on the gable ends. A.N. (Adam
Newton) and W.L. (William Langhorn), 17th century owners of Charlton House,
Park and Estate. Contemporary, now arranged on two sides of a quadrangle.
Remanagements under Sir William Langhorne are easily discernible.
House is a large green at the centre of which are columns supporting an arched
neo-classical mock gate. It’s too narrow for a coach and horses to pass
through. The arch marked the original perimeter of the house grounds but the
owners gradually encroached to take over the green.Plastered, with Corinthian columns and a c 18
Summer House. Its
beautiful saddle-back roofed summerhouse has been made into a public
lavatory.Though it is unlikely that
Inigo Jones had any hand in the design of Charlton House, the elegant, tall
summer-house in the north-west corner of the grounds, with its brick-relieved
pilasters and concave saddleback roof, has all his confidence and mastery of
proportion. It is truly delightful little building, built around 1630, whose
incredible misuse as a public convenience will be to the eternal shame of the
Borough Council.c. 1630, brick,
square, with Tuscan pilasters, and a concave roof. There is no documentary
confirmation of the traditional attribution to Inigo Jones; but the complete absence
of Jacobean frills at evidently such an early date makes it quite justifiable.
Nicholas Stone would also be a possibility
Lawns. Closely mown grassland with a rare clover.
Mulberry tree. Introduced into Britain in 1548, the first mulberry trees (Moms
niya) were planted at Syon Park, London. In 1608 James I recommended the
cultivation of silkworms and offered packets of mulberry seeds to all who would
sow them. As a result, mulberry trees became increasingly popular and Loudon
said that "there is scarcely an old garden or gentlemen's seat throughout
the country, which can be traced back to the 17th century, in which
a mulberry tree is not to be found." Unfortunately, the King was promoting
black mulberry, when silkworms actually feed on white mulberry (Moms Alba). An
old plaque by this tree says "The first Mulberry in England planted in the
year 1608 by Order of James I." Although in fact this was not the first
mulberry tree planted in England, it was probably the first planted after the
"Order" from King James since it stands in the grounds of Charlton
House, in Greenwich, London. The house was built by Adam Newton, tutor to King
James's eldest son Prince Henry. It is probable that Newton planted the tree at
the start of the King's mulberry promotion. This mulberry is certainly one of
the oldest known to be still growing.
Charlton House gardens,
lodge in Marlborough Lane demolished. Gardens laid out in 1938. Railings came
from the Bellot memorial. In gardens at the rear, there is a Roman stone chest,
horse chestnuts, holm oak, and yew. Squirrels tits, finches, and jays. The gardens today cover a very small part of
the former grounds which stretched to Woolwich Common. They included what is
now Charlton Park and the Cemetery. Traces of the former kitchen and floral
gardens remain. The rear and front of the house have plenty of ancient plane
Greenwich Borough Council
bought land from Maryon-Wilson in 1925; 108 acres. Arch dates from 182l. The
London County Council bought 47 acres in 1926 from Greenwich Borough Council
& built sports facilities. In 1942 Holidays at Home scheme there. From the rear of the house one can look over to
Charlton Park. The park’s tall 17th century brick walls testify that it was once part of the
mansion's grounds. A large open space with a children's play area.
London County Council
athletic tracks Greenwich 1990,
Charlton Park Lane
St.Mary's gardens site of
old bull pit. St.Mary's church was built on it.
Charlton Park Road
Main road to Greenwich. Following the
narrow path it has followed for centuries, though a main road today, it still
twists and turns its way through the village.
Going toward the village the north
side is detached residences with grounds, whilst the south east of Marlborough
Lane is taken by Charlton House and Park (Booth)
Greenwich Borough Council
houses bought in 1930s. Allotments until 1945 & POW built sewers, etc.
Flats built in 1947. At the back of the site Orlit 1952. The earliest part of Fairlawn completed in 1947
Borough Engineer's Department. Later seven-storey block by T. P. Bennett &
Perry Grove built by London
County Council in 1964. Stirling and Gowan. An old people's home, an inward looking retreat on a compact horseshoe
plan, with the Louis-Kahn-inspired castellated roof-line which became popular
in the 1960s.
A cluster of privately built 1953 town houses
Greenwich Borough Council
land bought in 1930s. Houses built in 1937.
These houses were erected in 1887 by 'Mad Jack’ Ellis a
local builder and for many years a leading exponent of the Charlton Ratepayers
TV 1900s House
109 The Valley. Modern public house "The Valley' with a
name connected to Charlton Athletic Football Club at 'The Valley'. the first landlord
was Harold Hobbis a former international footballer for the club in its heyday.
house was for many years the HQ and Home for the Blackheath & Charlton
District Nursing Services.
Elliscombe Mount, Greenwich
Borough Council 1953
2-storey with gardens in front.
Tiled entrances. Some keep servants, all comfortable. (Booth)
4 acre site. Old fair site.
Greenwich Borough Council 1921; Estate was all parish land. 1921 first housing
built and furnished by Cuffs and RACS.First council houses built in the Greenwich
area. Erected in 1919, they had the attention of the Guild of Master Builders
of the area. What the people gained in housing they lost in recreation for the
grounds on which the houses stood were the traditional grounds of the Horn Fair
which centred on Charlton House.
St. Peter's church site.
Flats built in 1957. Sheltered housing built in 1980 London Borough of
St.Luke's Almshouses with
tree trunk supports. . For the
poor. Such buildings have existed on the site since the 1690s but these were
rebuilt in 1706 with money left by William Langhorne to build a school on the
top floor. Painted in lemon, the properties have wonderful twisting oak props
installed in 1839 supporting the arcade.
Near the Church is the Vicarage
and two detached houses and then, going southward, 2-storey and 5-storey
houses. Mostly keep servants. Some almshouses. (Booth).
Takes its name from the parish of Fletching, East Sussex
where the Maryon Wilsons owned a number of minor manors and many members of the
family are buried.
New properties behind the shops.
A large council estate with the usual
regular grid of walk-up flats of the 1940S onwards, enlivened by a few daring
details such as inset curved concrete balconies.
Old Dutch Almshouses site.
1980. Housing. ,
Guild of Master Builders
built houses on the site.
Bought from the
Maryon-Wilsons in the 1890s. Built with a London County Council loan & paid
for facilities by selling some land to private developers. Farmland was bought
by Greenwich Borough Council and London County Council from Maryon Wilson’s in
Bought by London County Council
in 1920 & used as open fields 1990
Lido opened in 1939
Pets' cemetery. London
County Council bought from Maryon Wilson and in 1958, there was also the Blue
Inigo Jones Road
Indicates their close association with James 1st and
1947 Greenwich Borough
Council bought war damaged property, built 1949
Is a regular country lane. Fields on
both sides and on the west the drive to a large house - Cherry Orchard. (Booth)
Marks an association with Greenwich and General Wolfe
Bullpit a hollow dip probably used for the 16th century
pastime of bull baiting. In 1960/1 the ground was levelled and St. Mary's
Church erected, as a daughter church to St. Luke’s. Within a decade the church
showed severe signs of structural damage due to subsidence. It was considered
unsafe, closed in 1974 and subsequently demolished. Eight years later the
ground was rendered safe and three-storeyed maisonettes erected.
Marks an association with Greenwich and General Wolfe
Old herb garden Private
2-storey villas. Rustic style: red-
and black-tiled roofs. A few keep girls Ladies nurse. (Booth)
Fields in the Kid Brooke
area. Alan Cobham’s Flying Circus
Prince Henry Road,
Indicates their close association with James 1st and
Rectory Field Crescent
Shooters Hill Road,
Northern boundary of Kid
Brooke Parish along the line of clay to the Blackheath Park Area south of
Shooters Hill. The corner was the site of Arnold's Farm and the Kid Brooke
boundary bellies out to take it in. Boundary follows the road from St.German's
Place along the front garden walls of 2-30. Then goes inside the garden walls
up as far as Eastbrook Road and goes on the to the north east corner of Minnie
Arnold House, old people,
Dispensary building, part of Blackheath & Charlton Cottage Hospital, 1899,
1878 four beds, open in Bowater Place 1880, 30 beds & operating theatre,
bombed, four houses & office by the Woolwich Hospital Group .
Baptist Chapel. Been in
Sunfields since 1863. Built 1869 but on the site of Belgrave just down the
road. Rebuilt on present site in 1905.
Belgrave site was Baptist
Chapel. Kept for Sunday School and sold for housing in 1970.
20 last of the tea caddy
houses. Worn boundary stone by the front entrance. To the east of the house was
a drain taking water from the main road to the Upper Kid brook and the course
of the drain – the boundary between two fields is marked by a line of trees
48 marks the point at which
the old Kidbrook Lane turned off
176 Mr. Bartlett's chemist shop was said
to be the first shop in Kidbrook in 1932
House. Gone. One bar was
called Nine Fields after fields in the area. Source of the Mid Kid Brook round
the back of here somewhere.Built1908-1896 and called the Earl of Moira. It lay in that portion of Charlton Parish immediately south of
Shooters Hill Road,
230 back garden wall is
start of the large southern portion of the Kidbrook boundary. Goes along the
line of the Mid Kid Brook stream which runs roughly parallel to the Shooters
Hill Road about 25 yards south of it. Up as far as Well Hall Road Corner.
Fox under the Hill. There
to rest the horses. It lay in that portion of Charlton
Parish immediately south of Shooters Hill Road,
Land bought by Greenwich
Borough Council in 1930s, 1948 with a loan from London County Council. Built in
1951/52. Dramatic, natural spring in the field that had
to be stemmed before construction work could begin in 1949. Each House of this
large Greenwich Borough Councilcomplex
has a named association with previous Lords of the Charlton Manor- Bayeaux - Bishop Odo of Bayeaux ; Downe
& Ducie – Sir Wm.Ducie created Vise.Downe ; Erskine - Sir John Erskine
Games - Wm.Langhorn Games ; Langhorne - Sir Wm.Langhorn, Mar - Earl of Mar (Sir
J.Erskine) ; Priory - Priory ofBermondsey and Wilson - Sir Thos. Wilson 6thBt. who married into the Maryon family,
owners of the Manor & Estates.
1 Robert Martin's House,
1881. Next to the church. Three
old cottages next to the church have been pulled down to make way for his new
house with its large front door and wrought iron weather vane to proclaim his
success.Tall four-storey tower which
must still have a fantastic view
3, 5, 7 three shops built around 1881. Then a
fruiterer, a fishmonger and a Cabinet Maker. Buildings retain much of their character in
the moulded console brackets which support the awnings and the original arched
windows which are left in numbers five and seven.The use of two different coloured bricks is
characteristic of later Victorian buildings.
9 has been a chemist's shop for over a hundred
15- 17 look more recent than the others because of
their new bricks and modern window frames at the windows are the same size and
shape as those next door.Walk round the
back and you find that the bricks match those of the ad- joining shops, so it
is just the front that has been refaced
18 Charlton Cycle Works
46 -52 terrace of four houses, 1897
and took the place of an earlier row of three houses that were still standing
in 1881.Built for families of higher
class than shopkeepers.Built with a
tradesman's en- trance in the basement where the local shops would have
delivered their goods. The kitchen was also in the basement and the servants
slept at the top of the house in the cold and draughty attics.
46 coal hole on the ground and at the
original railings leading up to the front door.
22 White Swan, 1889. The
pub is on the site of a much older inn which dates back at least as far as the
18th and in the 1880's, Mr. Turner here was still providing
accommodation as well as food and drink and had a family from the Royal
Artillery lodging with him.The present
building is 1889 and designed by the same architect as the Assembly Rooms.
Incorporates pleasant window
Ideal meeting place
Former bakery being built during the
late 1600s. This is the oldest building on this side of the road and was
already in use as a baker's by the 1850's.It is a typical cottage type shop with its low roof and unevenly spaced
windows.The entrance to the yard, paved
with irregular cobbles would have led to stables for many of the shop keepers
would have had horses and carts for deliveries
l8 -14 built towards the end of the
century. They are more spacious than the older shops and were expensively built
with attention to detail apparent in the tile hung fronts and arched
Two tandoori curry houses in the
village, which would have been officers' houses in the 1800s. Elaborate
Victorian iron work adorns the facades.
Post war row of shops on site of Lee Board of Works Office,
flats built Greenwich Borough Council 1952. Board of Works established in 1855 and was primarily concerned with
establishing standards of Public Health at a time when cholera was rife and
living conditions in town were overcrowded and insanitary.It was the forerunner of the London County
Council, established in 1888 which later became the G.L.C.
Earle House, Greenwich
Borough Council 1954, old National Schoolroom site, 1977/80 London Borough of
90 Invicta Manufacturing
Co., dentists, Palatine Dental Manufacturing Co. Bronze foundry etc., 80 staff,
Fletching Road site, was a very big business, moved to 16 Warren Lane & now
out of business
6 Bugle Horn. dates back to the 1700s. stuccoed. 18th century pub with Saloon and
Lounge Bars, so named because it was the farthest point that the Woolwich
Barracks bugle could be heard.The pub
is the oldest building in the
village and is situated next to Charlton House. Hunting photographs and horns
decorate the walls.
1-5 replaced eighteenth
and war memorial. Plus a
granite cattle troughinscribed: 'ERECTED BY SIR SPENCER MARYON WILSON, 11th BART AND THE INHABITANTS OF CHARLTON TO COMMEMORATE THE
CORONATION OF KING EDWARD VII, 1902'. The drinking fountain, is made of red
granite and stands on a plinth within a half-timbered shelter with shingles. In
the 1980s an uninsuredcar crashed into
it completely demolished it. The village mounted a successful fund-raising
campaign to restore it.
The cage and stocks for punishing petty criminals stood on the
green but were moved to a spot near the site of the trough.
St.Luke’s. In its humble
pre-classical c 17 character a most attractive church. Rebuilt c. 1630, with
money left by Sir Adam Newton of Charlton House. Some years ago while treating the building for dry rot, workmen fell
through the floor onto coffins in the crypt. It's not sure whether the workmen
returned but their shock was history's gain as local historians were able to
view remnants of the old church it was re-built in the 1630's by the trustees
of Sir Adam Newton after he had died and had bequeathed the money. The aisle followed in 1639. New chancel and organ chamber 1840 and
1873Its exterior is built entirely
of brick without stone to dress the edges, cornice, or even the surround of the
bell openings. Compare the pilasters on either side of the porch with those on
the Garden House by the entrance to Charlton House. The
church is of brick, with even the elementary tracery of the bell-openings and
the crenellations of the tower top of the same material. The window tracery of
nave and chapel is Decorated – very correct for the c17. But the porch has a
typical early c17 Dutch gable, and archways set against rustications.
Whitewashed interior of lowly proportions. Originally built with one nave; the northern aisle was added at the end
of the 17th century.The main arches
have simple, pure curves in the Wren tradition, but everywhere additions have
been made. The present chancel is a 20th century afterthought, though its
panelled wagon roof is a copy of the original in what is now the nave. Nave is separated from the aisle by two round arches and one square pier
with four slim attached shafts at the corners. Capitals are not medieval at
all; nor are they classical. Window of the old chancel also of two bays looks
as if it might be of the preceding c15 building. Wagon roof in the chancel c 7,
in the nave reconstructed in 1925.Font
Stone, c17, handsome baluster stem and shallow round bowl draperies and shells with a painted carved oak cover. Pulpit of c. 1630. Polygonal, eared scrolly panels and the arms of
Sir David Cunningham one of the trustees for the rebuilding. Sounding-board in
the tower. Door to the porch handsome early c 17, a fan radiating from a
cherub's head.Stained Glass window by
C. F. Blakeman replacing one of 1639 by Is Oliver destroyed in the Second World
War. . The windows were an early
attempt at Gothic revival, though all the old stained glass was blown out
during the last war. One original window, however, remains on the north side,
containing some beautiful heraldic shields of the 17th century. One window with c17 heraldic
glass. .The modest, humble exterior with its low
entrance porch contrasts curiously with the cluttered, rag-bag interior, whose
profusion of monuments seems to vie with Westminster Abbey!Monuments Edward
Wilkins master-cook to Queen Elizabeth, 11568. Handsome tall with strap work
cartouche.Lady Newton, wife of the
builder of Charlton House, f 1630. Noble black and white aedle with broken
segmental pediment: by Nicholas Stone under influence of Inigo Jones.Countess of Ardmagh f 1700 similar type but
with the broken pediment curved the inscription on a feigned drapery, and with
standing allegory outside the columns. Brigadier Michael Richards, Survey
General of the Ordnance, 1721, a very late example of free-standing man in
armour as a funeral monument. Probably by Guelfi. Elizabeth Thompson 1759, with
frontal. General Morrison 1799, with the usual female figure over an urn: by
Regnart.Spencer Perceval, the Prime
Minister, assassinated in 1812. Very simple, with an excellent sculpture.A fine
head by Chantrey. Many minor tablets. Beside the entrance is Nicholas Stone's
monument to Sir Adam Newton and his wife, Lady Katherine, very simple, almost
severe in black and white marble monuments. There used to be a private door for
the owners of Charlton House. For all except those in the Squire's pew,
however, the church must have been extremely inconvenient for worship,
obstructed by heavy pillars and extended by additions in all directions.Also buried here is William Langhorne. The
church was maintained with support from the owners of the manor. Many officers
of the Woolwich Artillery are buried at the church. Sarcophagi vie with the
large gravestones for prominence.
Churchyard. Against the wall is the grave of Sarah, Michael
and Charles Bance who all died before 1850.Their son William is described as a gardener in the census of 1851; he
is married with six children and his wife is a bookseller.Sundial replica of 1934, same location as original, 1630 Adam Newton
Assembly Rooms. built in
the 1800s to celebrate the marriage of the eldest son of the Maryon-Wilsons and
later given to the people. Used for meetings and local entertainments.Its Dutch echo those of the stable block in
Charlton Park for Stuart and Jacobean styles of architecture were very
fashionable at this time.They were
designed by. J. Rowland, and the foundation stone was laid by Sir Spencer
Maryon Wilson. Tall single-storey building in redbrick and terra-cotta,
ornamental Dutch-type gable onfront to
red-tiled roof. Projecting entrance porch. Later ornamental gateway to side in
red brick wall with stone dressings. Inscription in stone pediment over gates
reads '1897' flanking an armorial shield.
Archway went to the army Drill Hall built in the
1870s.Above the arch is the date it was
built; 1897, and the Maryon Wilson coat of arms
To the south east is the Deer Park.
On south side facing Fairfield Road are two new 5-storey houses.Going west through the Village, the great
diversity of the buildings is conspicuous. Between Fairfield Road and Lansdowne
Road are small old houses and quaint shops. Working people, comfortable. .
Remainder of street to the Church is a medley of quaint old gabled shops side
by side with modern shops with large plate glass windows and a few private
houses. Place is in a transitional condition. (Booth)
Past the Church, a red-brick building
with square tower
Part of Stonefield Farm
bought by London County Council in 1927. Thornhill was a barony. Built in the
early 30s. Point blocks of c.
1960, picturesquely grouped on a slope among trees, in the Roehampton manner.
The large mid-Victorian houses, some of unusual design in
this road were erected to attract Army officers and their families stationed at
nearby Woolwich. Hence the royal and military associations of their road
139/157 1850, Victorian
houses for army officers.
Harold Gibbons House
Greenwich Borough Council 1950/51
FlatsGreenwich Borough Council erected in 1936 bearing the names Capella, Collington, Duncan, Felma
& Laurel Houses. They have association with condemned properties in
Greenwich demolished under a vigorous slum-clearance scheme.
Large detached and semi-detached
houses with gardens and trees in front. Heavy-looking buildings. People keep
two or three servants. Road is deteriorating.Behind the west side of Victoria Road is a Mews. Five stables with rooms
over. Coachmen probably but no carriages can be seen. Flowers in window boxes.(Booth)
17th fur dealer having lost
stock in Great Fire tried to start rabbit business
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis