London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
Alexandra County Primary School. 1952. In 1900 a school had been opened in Parish Lane. This was
the Alexandra School, and in 1954 the junior school moved to new buildings in
Ground named after the queen opened 1891. This is built on the site of
Porcupine Field sold to The Metropolitan Assocation for Improving the
Dwellinjgs of the Industrious Classes by the Duke of Westminster. Their only
estate in a more rural area.
106a plaque on
'Justice for All', Penge and Beckenham Co-op, weather vane 1900
Factory for Small
Electric Motors Ltd
Built by the council after the Second World War. Now run
by the Broomleigh Housing Association.
Royal Watermen and Lightermen's
houses built in 1839/40. Arch with chapel, meeting room, clock, weather vane,
cast iron hand pumps. The most prominent building in Penge – a two-storeyed
ranges round three sides of a quadrangle reaching a climax in a gate-tower at
the back, with battlemented turrets and ogee lead caps. Built by George Porter
when Tudor was the inevitable style for almshouses. The buildings were restored by the Waterman's
Company in 1920, and have had a further treatment with Greater London Council renovation in 1975. ‘For the reception of decayed watermen and
stables at the back, pavement built in Penge
74 Queen Adelaide
99 Crooked Billet
156 Pawleyne Arms
Moon and Stars. Spacious Wetherspoon's, built in 1994, incorporating interesting
external architectural features and extensive wood and stone panelling inside.
Bridge Tavern under a Victorian arched brick railway bridge.
Now adult education. In 1931 the boys moved from
the Technical Institute at Clock House to a new purpose-built building in Penge
High Street, and became Beckenham and Penge Grammar School. It went from
strength to strength, and made a name for itself in the district and beyond,
but then was moved, in 1968, again to new premises, and has become Langley Park
Boys' School.When the Grammar School
vacated the building, a new school for boys took over the premises, and is
known as Kentwood.
War memorial.This rough hewn
granite Celtic cross at the entrance to the High Street Recreation Ground,
opposite St John's Road, was unveiled on 25th September 1925 by Councillor F.
P. Hodges. The memorial cost £237/10s, excluding the foundations.
Railway bridges. One
carries the London and Croydon and was atmospheric. The other is the line from
Sydenham to Crystal Palace low level. 1854
9 Organic and
wildlife friendly, designed to incorporate many native species, but without
sacrificing aesthetic standards. Wetland areas, nectar border and newly-built
wild bee house.
Kent House Road
Alexandra Infants School In 1900 Alexandra School in Parish Lane was expanded in 1929 by a
new school for the Infants
Named after a farm to the
north on Kent House Road. Farmhouse from 1240 close to old boundary of Kent and
Surrey. Demolished in 1950s
contemporary garden on 2 levels, designed in 1995 to be easily maintained and
have a strong Mediterranean theme. Circular paved and gravelled area planted
with many rare Mediterranean native shrubs, perennials and bulbs. Euphorbias
and cistus surround olive tree and mosaic water feature.
Church. 1878. Geometrical tracery. Founded by Francis Peek in memory of his
parents. Ground given by Cator. Stunted pyramid spire added 1883. By E. F. Clarke Ragstone.
101 Lord Palmerston
149 Hop Exchange.Previous name was 'The Market Tavern’
Shepherd Mission & Lady
Staunton starved to death
Alexandra. Pub on the Roque map where it is shown
as the Porcupine
Alexandra School.In 1900 a school was
opened in Parish Lane to serve the Penge end of Beckenham, and to relieve the
pressure on Beckenham Parish School. This took children of all ages. By 1954 it
was a Secondary school taking only boys, but under the post war reorganisation
it was closed in April 1968 upon the opening of the new Kelsey Park School, to
which the boys were transferred. The Victorian building was then demolished,
and upon the site has been erected the Anne Sutherland accommodation for the
elderly. One of the original gateposts and one boundary wall are all that now
remains of the old school.
Penge is for most people a joke, an epitome of the dreary
suburban non-place. Means 'head or
chief wood' - a place at the head or end of the wood. ‘Pange’ 1204,
‘Pengewode’ 1472. ‘Wudu the hatte-
-'the wood called' ‘Psenge’ 957, ‘Penceat’ 1167', ‘Penge’ 1206, that is 'wood's
end, top of the wood', from Celtic ‘penn’ - 'head, end' and 'wood', with the
addition of Middle English ‘wode’ - 'wood' in the 15th-century spelling. Penge
was originally pasture 'seven miles, seven furlongs and seven feet in circumference'. This interesting name may suggest the survival
of a native British population to the south of London after the Saxon
settlement. Penge was originally a woodland swine pasture of the manor of
Battersea; indeed it remained a detached part of Battersea parish until 1888
when it was transferred from Surrey to Kent.In a charter of 957 it says that the Penge woods were 7 miles, 7
furlongs and 7 feet in circumference.
Penge Lane/Hardings Lane?
Site of toll gate
-toll house was there in 1910;
spur from Crystal Palace to Penge. Had been laid for building of Crystal Palace
site. Small locomotives for Crystal Palace Co.;
railway flyover should be Davidson Road timber viaduct replaced
King William's Naval Asylum. Technical style. 12 almshouses for widows of naval officers.
Founded in 1847, designed by Philip Hardwick. More Tudor almshouses round an
open-ended square. Red brick and stone, with black diaper patterns. Quite
humble, but not only more correct than Porter could manage to be, but much more
sensitively designed. Hardwick was rare in his generation, an architect who
handled all styles with equal distinction. The buildings were erected at the sole cost of Queen Adelaide as a
memorial to King William IV.
when Penge Lane station opened in 1863
Station.1863. Between Kent House and Sydenham Hill on South Eastern
Trains. Before this called Penge Lane?? And renamed
Penge from that date. Opened as
Penge Lane Station built by
the. When the line was built a level crossing was built where the line crossed
the old alignment of Penge Lane (now Newlands Park Rd and St John's Rd), but no
station was built. An 1885map shows
that a station had been built, known as Penge Lane Station. When the level
crossing was closed Penge Lane was diverted down what are now Thesiger Road,
Parish Lane and the current Penge Lane. As parts of Penge Lane adopted new
names, the station name became inappropriate and was changed to Penge East. From here the 'up' line goes through the Penge
Tunnel to Sydenham Hill Station.There
was no problem here with room for the station buildings, and there still isn't.
The station was built on a green fields site and size reflects the importance
of the line to the company. The station retains its original Gothic building of
1863 on the south side with projecting end pavilions with a lower recessed
section between them. The platforms are linked by an old bridge. 1873 opened LCDR .1923 renamed ‘Penge East’
Old level-crossing keeper's
cottage on the south side
Tiny station house, partly on the platform east of the
1 Park Tavern
Path to both
stations was from the main road. Built there was a gatekeeper’s lodge with 6
windows all with different cills. Road built in the 1860s and follows what was
Canal west of the
railway remained in water as a fishing area
1 Park Tavern
one track of the first line to serve Crystal Palace
leaves theline coming out of Sydenham
Station. It opened for goods in March 1854 to carry exhibits and building
materials into the south side of the grounds.
Flyover– when the spur to the Palace was built the
down line was carried over the main line and this is an example of an early
26 Small sloping
town garden on different levels. Mature shrubs and trees provide green oasis.
Rose arches, clematis, honeysuckle and tiny pond. Shady area with ferns,hellebores and symphytum. A cottage garden in
an urban environment.
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis