London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
2-storey and 2-storey with basement houses. A great
mixture, mechanics and labouring class. Gone down. (Booth)
Basing Manor House. Demolished in 1883. It included beautiful specimens of oak panelling
and antique carving. The manor existed in the fourteenth century.The Manor House School began using the quaint
old Basing Manor House. Attached to the school were acres of land used as a
recreation ground by the pupils. After the school was demolished, a horse tram
depot was built on the site, and later used for electric trams.
Red Cow, rebuilt 1962
2-storey houses. "Rather poor class." (Booth)
Rye Lane Depot,
in what today is Bellenden Road, had been over by the military authorities
during the First World War returned to the London County Council in 1919. It
was used subsequently by London Transport as a garage for motor vehicles and
the bus garage was built on the site in 1952. In the 1960s the Department of
Employment took over the garage for use as a repair workshop for buses until
1986. The garage was later used as a as a factory producing Comply plasterboard
products. Site of Basing Manor House.
Thomas Tilling HQ
Bushey Hill Road,
Matthew Dean of St Paul's,
Nearly all the detached houses shown on the map have given
way to smaller dwellings. Occasional servants. (Booth)
28a Camberwell Bookshop
59 Stone Trough Books
94 Cottage Orne opposite the chapel destroyed in the last
188 Grove Hill Terrace, J.
Chamberlain born, London County Council plaque 188 Joseph Chamberlain was born here
in 1836.plaque which says. 'Statesman,
lived here' . He was M.P. for Birmingham and moved back to London in 1876. As an
Imperialist his policies helped precipitate the Boer war.
Built as a private avenue
to a mansion of the Cock family in Church Street
Lettsom Estate. The Lettsom family lived in the big
house and the estate is built in the grounds. Dr John
Coakley Lettsom, a well-known Quaker physician, at the beginning of the 19thcentury
whose income sometimes amounted to as much as £12,000 a year, and who was as
philanthropic as he was wealthy. In his large house he entertained some of the
most eminent men of his time but adverse circumstances compelled him to part
with his delightful mansion some time before his death, and as his town house
was not large enough to accommodate them. He also had to dispose of his library
Grove House. A stream ran through the grounds which were
said to be the origin of Camber ‘well’. It flowed into a canal at Fountain
Grove Chapel, 1819. Late Georgian chapel, very
modest. Stone plaque by Coade.fits
perfectly into the late Georgian atmosphere. Pretty,
with a five-bay, two-storey front, very modest. Built in 1819 by David Roper.
220 beyond the continuous stucco
terraces, some with Greek Doric porches.The Hermitage, a late C 18 or early c 19 rustic cottage with tree-trunk
columns supporting the eaves, but suburbanized by pebbledash.
Mainly detached villas, getting past their best days, but
still in single occupancy. Along east side a new row has been built. Inferior,
for two families.
Camberwell MB &
Southwark LB 1969 both deck systems and car park more cheerful Chepstow Way is
quite attractive. Ambitious piece
of re- development by Camberwell (later Southwark) council, designed in 1969
and instructive to compare with North Peckham Estate.Both are built on a deck system with car
parking beneath, and are linked by a bridge across Commercial Way.The earlier scheme, completed in 1972, was
considered enlightened for its date in avoiding tall slabs, but the monotonous
upper walkways and cramped courtyards surrounded by the five-storey dark brick
maisonettes, which are not inviting.This is built in a more cheerful yellow brick, has more variety and is
not so large
Victorian Villa with a planning row going on in 2008
Village – site of Gordon’s Brewery.
2-storey houses. Decent, trees, quiet. Generally one
family to a house. two families in some. Others keep a servant. Comfortable.
Gordon Brewery and open ground on north side. (Booth)
Busy broad central walk of Camden
Estate is quite attractive. At one end
it widens; into a little square overlooked by a taller block of flats with
shops below, and with a health centre opposite.
Very modest Girdler's
79 Wishing Well .
decorative Irish drum
2-storey houses, most with bay window. Houses vary much in
style but a gradual improvement toward Copleston Road. Working class. Building trades etc near
Bellenden Rd. Clerk, travellers at upper. (Booth)
Better and larger houses north of the bend and servants
frequently kept here. South of the bend 2-storey, 6- or 8-roomed houses with
bow windows, ornate. High waged and low salaried classes. Apartments often let.
Servants not kept. (Booth)
Road, even to having its better-to-do detached house. (Booth)
48-52 stone made to look
2-storey houses. (Booth)
Stuccoed houses built on part of the
Lettsom Estate in the earlier c 19:development begun by the railway engineer and speculator William
development. Alternate pairs with
94 Fountain Cottage
For the most part new semi-detached and detached redbrick
villas. A few of the old houses still left. On the site of one four new ones
have been built, all good, as the ground available was large. Most of the new dwellings,
however, cover ground previously clear.Inglewood House the only really large one left. "City People,”
generally fairly well to do.A smart
lady who passed us with nurse and children was pointed out as the wife of a
highly salaried man at some brewery and as a quondam bare-backed rider at
Development begun by the railway
engineer and speculator William Chadwick
Tiny stuccoed lodge at the corner
?Older detached three-bay house, much altered, built by Lettsom's friend
Henry Smith c. 1776-80.
Day Nursery in grounds of no?Long low by Neyland & Ungless, 1971-3
113Camberwell Tape Laboratory.Bugging embassies in London has a history now
75 years long. The original monitoring base was here run by the Metropolitan
Police. It is still the Met's main centre for special bugging and monitoring.
Grove Park Cuttings:
Vacant rail side land.
Woodland with steep slopes.
M15 monitoring of embassies
Originally called Workhouse
Lane but changed to Havil Street when Mr. Havil lived there in Havil House.
Bethel Asylum., plain for aged women, built by William
Peacock in 1837
Hospital. This began as an institution founded under
the Poor Law of 1601. In 1726 the Vestry of St Giles', builtg a a workhouse for
lodging and employing the poor. This was on the west side side of the road at
thejunction with Peckham Road. In 1815,
this was demolished and another workhouse was buil,t at the back of the old site,
In 1873 by the Camberwell Board of Guardians added an infirmary and acircular blockwas added in 1888-1889, It was
transferred to the London County Council in 1930. A new operating theatre and
reception were provided four years later. Camberwell Health Authority voted in
1983 to close most of the facilities.
5 Orange Tree
Delivery Office - Society of Friends Meeting House 1826. Used as a postman’s office. Simple, yet
distinguished. Enlarged in 1843. Built of stock brick
Yard at the rear was a small burial ground.. 1832-61 but
cremated remains buried there until 1959.
Good middle-class, with garden fronts- small and high
waged class. No servants. Three new houses built at end. All red-brick, bow windows
The most elaborate house was that
built by Dr John Coakley Lettsom in 1779-80 (demolished in the 1890s).It stood in its own grounds to the East of
Camberwell Grove.Riches & Biythin's
estate 1970 stands in part of the grounds.
2-storey and 2-storey houses. (Booth)
2-storey and 5-storey houses, shops. Working class
occupants mainly. (Booth)
43 Cadleigh Arms,
Dolby considered that exactly the same class of people
lived here as in the southern end of Crofton Road. The houses are 2-storey,
much the same as those in Crofton Rd, although less ornate. (Booth)
is one of Peckham's most modern flat developments
1 80ft x 40ft
walled garden. Formal layout with lawn, flower beds, mosaic, gravel and
flagstones. Sunken terrace with herb garden in retaining wall. Plants in
terracotta containers. Evergreen, slightly tropical looking structure to
planting, with perennials planted through and around. More foliage than
flowers. Many unusual plants. Sitting areas in sun or shade.
cottage garden approx 80ft x 50ft. Old roses, herbaceous borders, many climbers
on house and in garden, sunken garden with fountain and containerplanting, surrounded by mature trees.
Another residential thoroughfare.
53 Lord Lyndhurst pub
a vast new building for girls with playing fields and tennis courts all around.
Was called Lyndhurst Road
88 childhood home of Ken
Farmington, Billy Walker in Coronation Street
Warwick House School on
house on site was animal painter Harrison Weir, early ILN artist
53 Lord Lyndhurst
2-storey, bow windows. Bad building. Rents as in McNeil
Rd. Rents, character of building and occupants like much of the neighbourhood.
2-storey houses, bow windows, some broken. Bad building.
West side the poorer.The street is
quiet, both on the poorer west and east side. East side let at 7/6 the floor (three
rooms and scullery).(Booth)
Village common on the
hills, belonged to the Gloucesters. Connecting
the old villages of Peckham and Camberwell is mostly an accumulation of public
buildings and L.C.C. flats.The
exception is the late Georgian group around the town hall (all now municipal
offices).On the South side, set back, a
group of three houses, two identical ones of five bays, linked up later, and
one of three bays, with good doorways with fanlights.Opposite are some more late Georgian houses,
102 Walmer Castle
Acrow Mill, cogs and
Arlington Music Hall
Borough Architect's Department, housed in a range of 18th century houses
Camberwell and Southwark
Camberwell House the building dates
from 1777 and was formerly known as the East Terrace. This range of houses is
of some architectural interest. Henry Roberts was born here at the beginning of
the nineteenth century. He was the architect of the Fishmongers' Hall and an
early employer of George Gilbert Scott. A later resident of the houses was
Robert Alexander Gray, chairman of the Camberwell Vestry which ran the civic
affairs before the Camberwell Borough Council was formed in 1900. He was known
as 'Father of the Parish'. The houses were taken over as an extension of
Camberwell House Lunatic Asylum which was on the north side of Peckham Road.
This building still exists and is an extension to Southwark Town Hall; it dates
from around 1780. The building was originally King Alfred School, or Alfred
House Academy, founded by Dr Nicolas Wanostrocht. It was the lost famous school
for the boys in the parish in the late eighteenth and early nineteenth
centuries. Some of those educated there included: Robert Browning, father of
the poet; mathematician George Parker Bidder; Alfred Dommett, first Prime
Minister of New Zealand, and Sir Joseph Arnold, Chief Justice of India. In 1832
the school moved to Blackheath and the Royal Naval School took over the
premises. In 1846 the building became a lunatic asylum.
Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts and
Passmore Edwards South London Art Gallery,1896-8, with baroque caryatids at the portal
and baroque window pediments. By Maurice Adams. F.W.Rossiter had a surplus stock in his shop 1868. Bought a house in
Peckham Road and built a gallery on the back. It was there so long as it was
open on a Sunday. Gallery built by Adams financed by Passmore Edwards. One of the foremost
centres of its kind in the capital. In 1868 an art exhibition took place in
William Rossitter's shop window in Camberwell Road and from this sprang the
germ—nourished by pre-Raphaelite painters—of the South London Art Gallery. The
present Gallery was opened in 1891 and is of the florid 19th century type of
architecture used also for the nearby Camberwell School of Arts and Crafts. It
has a fine permanent collection of paintings mainly of the 19th and
20th centuries with one valuable earlier work, "The study for the masked
ball at the Wanstead Assembly" by Hogarth. The Southwark Reference Collection
of 20th century Original Prints, started in 1960, includes examples of many
media, aquatints, etchings, lithographs, lino-cuts, wood-engravings etc., and
covers work by both British and foreign artists. South
London Fine Art Gallery, Camberwell, early twentieth century.Over a century ago South London Gallery in
Peckham Road was built to house a collection of paintings of the eminent
artists of the day. The paintings were largely donated by wealthy benefactors.
One aim of the gallery was to give people the opportunity to see the best art
being produced at the time.The Founder
was William Rossiter; in 1868 he set up a South London Working at 91
Blackfriars Road. Ten years later it moved to larger premises at No. 143 Lane
The College was extended to include a free library, the first in South London.
In October 1878 and a few months later Rossiter added to it by borrowing during
the summer months - so the Gallery was born. The institution shifted firmly in
the direction of the visual arts and this change was recognised. As Rossiter
explained, 'so many friends lent pictures, and so many were that the exhibition
intended for a few weeks has now been in existence for fourteen years, and has
become so important that the name of Free Library has been replacedby that of South London Fine Art Gallery.
'The Gallery moved to Battersea and then to Camberwell in 1887 to a warehouse
in Camberwell Road. The South London Fine Art Gallery was built in and opened
to the public in May 1891.
Camberwell's Civil Defence headquarters
and control centre at the corner of Vestry Road. This was an
underground building which was the best of its kind in London.
Camden Church. Rebuilt in 1874. Until eighteenth
century in Camberwell.Built in 1795 for the Countess of Huntingdon's Connexion, much
enlarged 1814. Chancel 1854 by Scott in a Byzantine style said to be the
outcome of consultation with Ruskin. Since demolished
totally unsympathetic large concrete extension by Murray, Word & Partners,
c. 1960.Two long bands of windows with
others of irregular shape in between.
Peckham s first fire station opened in 1867; the building still exists in
Peckham Road. This is a few metres from the present one which was opened on 2
March 1991 by Cllr A.G. King, Chair of the London Fire and Civil Defence
Authority, and Cllr Tony Ritchie who was the Southwark member of the authority.
The present fire station occupies the site of one which the London County
Council had built. This was opened on 9 July 1925 by Geoffrey Head, chairman of
the L.C.C Fire Brigade Committee.The
South London Press reported that it was the first of its kind in London as it
was built to meet the requirements of the shift system. The newspaper stated:
'The reason for the change is that the men nowadays live in their own homes and
are only at the station during their period of duty. The only residential
quarters provided are those for the station officer, although there are a mess
room and a recreation room with other accommodation for the shift men. At the
rear is a large drill yard with the best drill tower in London'.
First cinema converted to a
Flats, 'fine new blocks of
workers flats - standing well back from the roadway in gardens', London County
Gramophone Record and Music Library for the Borough
Peckham house. Charlie
Chaplin's mother, Hannah Chaplin, was transferred here in 1912. It was a
private lunatic asylum but had previously been a mansion owned by Charles Lewis
Spitta and the wealthy Spitta family . It became a lunatic asylum m 1826 and
closed in 1951 so Peckham School could be built on the site
Peckham School. Built On
the site ofPeckham House which was a
private lunatic asylum pre-Second World War. curtain-walled ranges around a
hall, pleasantly set back from the road behind trees by Lyons Israelis' Ellis,
1956-8.; Norma, wife of former
Prime Minister John Major was a pupil here.Has become Harris Academy.
Kennedy’s Sausage Factory.Run by one branch of the family in a converted fire station.
Kingfisher House site of Camberwell Central Library between the Pharoah's pub
destroyed by fire on 9 July 2004 and Pelican House. It was bombed during the
Second World War. The library was opened on 9 October 1893 by HRH the Prince of
Wales who became Edward VII after his mother, Queen Victoria, died. The Prince,
accompanied by the Duke and Duchess of York, went to the new library after
opening the South London Fine Art Gallery a short distance away in the same
road. A guard of honour of the First Surrey Rifle Volunteers was posted at the
entrance. The royal guests were greeted at the library by the Lord Mayor of the
City of London, Alderman Sir Stuart Knill, who was born in Camberwell. They
were taken by the architect and builder through the library and then into the
pretty recreation ground at the rear of the building. The Prince made a speech
in which he wished, 'the success of this fine new building, so well arranged,
so complete, so well built in every respect'. Mr Frederick G. Banbury, MP for
Peckham, said that he did not think anyone would deny that education conferred
innumerable advantages upon a nation or that public libraries were important in
disseminating knowledge among all classes of the community. The library was
built in Jacobean Renaissance style. The architect was Robert Whellock who
designed three buildings in SE15 that still exist - theLivesey Museum, Nunhead Library and the
former Central Hall in Peckham High Street. The new library replaced a
temporary central library in the High Street, Peckham.
Lucas Gardens, a
small but tranquil oasis of trees, flowers and grass amid houses and commercial
premises. The park has a children's corner, a bandstand, cafe and facilities
for municipal summer shows. Pleasant open space. Mature trees. created in the grounds of a former lunatic
asylum, Camberwell House.
formerly the headquarters of the Amalgamated Union of Engineering Workers. The
Amalgamated Society of Engineers, was formed in 1851 andbought land at the corner of Lyndhurst Road
in 1899.there were originally three buildings along Peckham Road between
Lyndhurst Road and Grummant Road. In 1916 they were joined together. The
Amalgamated Society of Engineers' symbol, the slogan 'Be United And
Industrious', 1851 and 1916 are carved above the doorway on the west side of
the building. during the Second World War bombs blew the roof off the building
but the premises remained for nearly ninety years the general office of what
became the Amalgamated Engineering and Electrical Union. A new administrative
block was built in 1961 and the Executive Council block ten years later.In 1912 a small chapel was at the Grummant
Road side of what became the union's garden. The union left Peckham in 1996 and
is now part ofAmicus. The former front door of the Peckham building is now in
the General Secretary's office in King Street, Covent Garden.
Pelican House renamed
Winnie Mandela House in 1989, demolished. The pelicans on the building were a
reminder of Pelican House School whichoccupied the site in the nineteenth century.
The pelicans, originally stood on brick pilasters at the entrance gates. The
Surrey Association for the General Welfare of the Blind, which was established
in 1857, In 1910 it became the London Association for the Blind and is now
Action for Blind People. In 1924 power machinery was installed to manufacture
knitting needles and bangles. This was the first time a visually impaired
person had operated power machinery anywhere. The workshop premises were
extended in 1928/29. New offices at Pelican House were completed in 1952/53 but
it was sold in 1976..
School of Arts and Crafts
1896. Technical School for Young Craftsmen 1908, with fine arts section built
in memory of Lord Leighton. The cost was underwritten by Passmore Edwards
bronze nude, by Kare Vogel.
New Phoenix Brewery Ltd (North Surrey Brewery) operatedin Peckham Road. It came under the control of Lovibonds ofGreenwich in 1900 and was wound up in 1927.
The Registrar's Office,
Town Hall. The site was that ofHavil House, owned by Mr. Havil. The first municipal building on this site was Edward Powers’
vestry hall, put up in 1872-3, after a competition said to be ‘a gross piece of
jobbery’.It was designed in a French
Renaissance and Italianate mix. Much of it was demolished in 1934 for the the
new Camberwell Town Hall, by E. C Culpin & Bowers but largely the work of
Bowers, a Dulwich resident.It is
interesting for the speed of it’s construction which took less than a year, and
because the Victorian vestry room was included in it between new blocks to the
front and back – when opened it was said to be a ‘hall of mirrors’..the steel frame clad is clad in Portland
stone with a mayoral balcony above the main entrance, plus a carving of a ship's
prow, including the arms of the Borough of Camberwell.
Vestry Hall. Local
government affairs for the parish of St Giles in Camberwell were run by the
Vestry in the nineteenth century. The first hall was built in 1827 on the
opposite comer of Havil Street from the present Southwark Town Hall. A much
larger Vestry Hall was erected in 1872/73. When Camberwell became a
Metropolitan Borough in 1900, this became the Town Hall. The Vestry Hall was
rebuilt in 1934 but the Council of the London Borough of Southwark meet in the
Council Chamber of the former Vestry Hall.
Sceaux gardens. A serious example of connected
layout landscape not railed in, run over to the kids, living undergrowth. A
showpiece of 1955 - tower blocks nature gardens, car parks, not yet fashionable
showpiece of developments for Camberwell by F.O.Hayes.First
of a whole series of council estates north of Peckham Road.This one was Camberwell's showpiece of 1955-9
(Borough Architect F. 0. Hayes).Two
fourteen-storey slabs of cross- over maisonettes, and lower blocks (one and six
storeys), pleasantly grouped in mature gardens, not yet complicated by the
1960s rage for massive car parks.
stone statue of a draped
woman.Right hand on a sword. Early 19th
erected here 1960s.
No part so good as the north end of Crofton Road.
Otherwise the same class. 2-storey houses. Mostly two families to a house.
Servants the exception. (Booth)
107 McCabe Free
133 Golden Lion. The Golden Lion was the badge of the Lion of Flanders
Winchester House. Stood at the corner of
Peckham High Street and the east side of Sumner Road, was still in existence in
1953. It had been the headquarters of Thomas Tilling's omnibus firm. Before
that it was a grammar school where the founder's son Richard S. Tilling, was
educated. During a lesson Richard scratched his initials R.S.T. on a windowpane
with a glass-cutter; Thomas Tilling later worked in this old schoolroom, which
was known as 'the parlour'. This room became the heart of the business; all the
important decisions were made there. When the cellars of this old building were
altered in 1915 an underground passage was discovered which had long connected
Winchester House with the property across the road Basing Manor House.
Winchester House had a front garden, which was destroyed when the road was
widened. Thomas Tilling started his four-horse omnibus service from Rye Lane to
Oxford Circus in 1851, the year of the Great Exhibition at Hyde Park. His was
the fastest on the route, He was the first proprietor to refuse to pick up
passengers from various places and take them to the omnibus starting point, nor
would he wait until the omnibus was full before it set off. Murals on the
former North Peckham Civic Centre, in the Old Kent Road, and the Nunhead Green
Community Centre include a Tilling omnibus. At London's Transport Museum in
Covent Garden one of The Times omnibuses used by Thomas Tilling is preserved.
Thomas was buried in Nunhead Cemetery where his grave can still be seen
Parallel with the Canal.Irregularly built street. At the north corner of St George's Rd the All
South side is 2-st houses with fronts. North side is 2-st
houses flush with sidewalk. Doors open into rooms. Poorer. (Booth)
37a Jeremy Irons actor
lived there for a bit
Houses are smaller (Booth)
Victoria Road (not on AZ)
2-storey private houses on west side. Mostly used for
some Trade: bootmender, photographer, umbrella mender. Other side is 5-storey
The boundary of this police section. North of Linnell
Road the west side is 2-storey houses. Decent working class. Last side has only
one house occupied, a small job-master's. South of Linnell Rd the houses are
larger but occupied by people of very much the same class. (Booth)
Houses with basements. Two and three families the rule.
Working class. From, except for the detached house occupied by one of the local
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Phillibrook Stream The Phillibrook, or Fillebrook, comes through this area and flows south west Post to the west Leyton Post to the south Leytonstone Post to the east Wanstead - Golf course and basin A12 Section through Leytonstone opened in 1999 as the Hackney-M11 link road Aylmer Road. London City Mission . Building dates from 1885. It was later a clothing factory Browning Road This was Back Lane which went from the High Road to the Forest. Also known as Green Man Lane and in 1893 as Park Road. It became Browning Road in 1900 Cottages built by Lord Wellesley, probably in the 1840’s, to house the workforce which serviced local big houses. 24 North Star . Built as a 'beer house by Lord Wellesley. It was originally two cottages knocked together and first referred to in 1858. There was an off-sales serving hatch. It is either named after a famous steamship or famous train or a ship which an early landlord sailed on. Henry Reynolds Gardens . This is a small park n
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by