This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
Abney House, built by Thomas Gunston in 1678, named after
its early 18th owner Sir Thomas Abney, Lord Mayor, and demolished 1843. Abney Park Cemetery occupies the grounds. In 1839, the Wesleyans
rented Abney House as the 'preparatory Branch' of their Theological Institute,
until Richmond College was opened in 1843.
Only the iron gates on Stoke Newington High Street remain. The Chapel is on the site of
Abney Park Cemetery. Secondary woodland with grass walks between graves. Opened in 1840 on an arboretum area and needed because Bunhill Fields was full. Loddiges, Hackney nurserymen, laid the grounds out and site design by Archbishop William Hoskins, Australian. Professor in the Art of Construction at King’s College. The Architect, administrator of Egyptologists of the Soane Museum and hieroglyphics are genuine. In 1939 the company was bankrupt, and lodge and offices were burnt out. In 1974 residents’ societies worked to stop landscaping. It was bought by the Council in 1979 for £1 and run as a nature reserve. Local groups now in a management committee. There is a catacomb, also a mound where Isaac Watts used to sit – Oliver Cromwell said to be buried under it. Statue of Dr. Isaac Watts dates from 1840 with inscription by Dr. Johnson. On October 4th 1738 John and Charles Wesley visited him, and they sang and talked together as they walked in the grounds. Also graves of General Booth, Samuel Morley of the college, fireman Braidwood, etc . The woodland is valuable for birds as the only large tree-covered area in the borough - exotic trees - Bhutan pine, hybrid oak, service tree of Fontainebleau. Hackney Brook runs through it but nearest pond half a mile away. Some unexploded bombs.
Mortuary Chapel. Gothic Revival cemetery chapel. supposed to look like Beverley
Minster and the spire of Bloxham church. the Interdenominational chapel was
in the shape of a Greek cross.
Former chapel, in other use.
Church. 1936 by Scott.
The centre of the old village is still recalled by scatter of older houses, although the big mansions which stood in their own grounds have all gone. Smaller 18th houses were also built and there are examples of the changing style in terrace houses of the 18-19th
95 home of Daniel Defoe. Plaque says 'novelist, lived in a house on this site'.
207-223, an urban stucco-trimmed quadrant of c. 1850-60, facing Clissold Park rehabilitated in 1996 by Pollard Thomas & Edwards
Abney Congregational Church. 1838 altered 1862, gutted in the Second World War. It has only parts of the walls.
Engine house in triangle of two roads
Fleetwood House. early 17th origin, demolished in 1872. Abney Park Cemetery covers the grounds. House was on the site of the Fire Station.
Fire Station on the site of Fleetwood House. 1662, Charles Fleetwood Commonwealth Commander in Chief, wife Bridget daughter of Cromwell, estate now covered by the cemetery
Library 1892 – early borough library. Extended with children’s library and lecture theatre. War Memorial entrance hall. Bust of Defoe
London General Omnibus Co., premises under an arch now LB Hackney premises
Magpie and Stump. Early c20, with a forceful cranked gable, and original ground- and first-floor interiors.
Manor House, lay close to the church, on the site of the municipal buildings, disappeared already in the 18th.
Manton House, with a curved side
LCC's Clissold Estate, 1937 by E. Armstrong.
Red Lion, was called Green Dragon Cage,
Sisters Place opposite the Town Hall, built by the Bridge sisters, Queen Anne
Vestry Offices and site of Abney Chapel
Daniel Defoe lived in Stoke Newington and is duly remembered
2 garage where private buses went from Hobbs garage, now a council depot. Defoe’s house site was next door
Newington High Street
Follows the straight course of the Roman Ermine Street extended south by Stoke Newington Road towards Kingsland. Many Hassidic Jews. In the centre of Stoke Newington High Street the roadway narrows into a bottle-neck, but again widens out before ending at Stamford Hill. At the narrow congested junction with Church Street it retains some- thing of its pre-19th character
176 The Fox Reformed
178 Coach and Horses
187 reconstructed behind the façade. Set back from the street behind big gateposts with urns. Probably built by Edward Lascelles, who built No. 189. c19, used as a dispensary.
187, 189, and 191, Later in institutional use, renovated in the 1980s, but only after they had stood empty and vandalized for twenty years and had lost most of their interior features.
191, also set back behind gate piers, has segment-headed windows. It was altered in the c19, when it was used first by the Infant Orphan Asylum and then as a female penitentiary.
Jolly Butchers Pub 1850s bracketed ground floor
Rectory, opposite the station, 1821 Invalid asylum
145 Rochester Castle. Tall pub with good ground floor of c. 1900 Wetherspoon's. decorated tiled entrance and mosaic doorstep
South Hornsey detached part of Stoke Newington but had own Local Board until 1900. West side of Stoke Newington High Street from Thyssen Road junction to junction of Farleigh Road. Western boundary along Nevill Road to Matthew Road no 18
15. Largish (for Hackney) walled back garden developed by present owners over 25 years, with pond, long-established fruit trees,
Chapel. Late 19th chapel
Tower Works. GLC estate on site of a furniture factory
Board School 1881 looks very tall in relation to neighbouring two-storey Victorian housing. 1881-2, additions 1899,
William Allen home
First Scott telephone box in the area erected outside the tennis club
Sanford Terrace dated 1788; renovation began privately in 1967 and continued by the borough after a public inquiry in 1971 which forbade demolition
United Reformed Church. 1992. By Martin Heine of Craig, Hall & Rutley.
Rectory Road station. 1872. Between Stoke Newington and Hackney Downs on One Railway. Built by the Great Eastern Railway to serve the south part of Stoke Newington. Burnt down in 1972. In 1984 it was rebuilt in neo-vernacular style and all the original station removed. This was funded by Urban Aid. New street level and platform buildings and footbridge.
Site of sandy ford of the Hackney Brook
Birdcage pub has a good early c20 interior
Stoke Newington Station. 1872. Between Stamford Hill and Rectory Road on One Railway. Built on the railway line from Bethnal Green extended to Lower Edmonton 1872. Current station is 1974-5 by .J. Fletcher of British Rail Eastern Region. Cheerful glass box, colourful inside. The platforms are in a cutting and new canopies have been provided there.
Stamford Hill Road
Means Stoney Ford over Hackney Brook
'New farm by the tree-stumps', the prefix distinguishing it from Highbury. Formerly the manor of Newton Barrow – ‘Neutone’ 1086, ‘Newinthon’ 1255, ‘Neweton Stoken’ 1274, ‘Stokneweton’ 1274
St.Paul’s. From Athelstan ‘new town in a wood’. By N. F. Cachemaille-Day, 1958-
Stoke Newington Common
Great Eastern Railway goes through the centre. Used to be big house on brickfields. 1740 genuine remnant of commoners’ rights. Housing development late 1870s. Thin band of flint fragments in trenches. Buried hand axe industry
Cooke Almshouses - nice near Abney Park Cemetery 1890. Great Eastern Railway gave site with them. Were to enclose the common in a ‘gallery’. It was covered in but the Railway Company gave a bit of land in the southwest corner.
St Michael and All Angels. 1883-5 by J. E. K. Cutts;
A few early 19th villas, which must have faced open country when they were built.
The Victoria, low and two-storeyed, is still on an early c19 scale.
Behind an arched screen, four robust mansion blocks. The wider spaces between the blocks are called Coronation Avenue and Imperial Avenue; the date must be c. 1901. Red brick with plain but decent Board-school-type detail, and slightly Arts and Crafts segmental hoods over the entrances. Probably by Joseph,
Housing by Pollard Thomas Edwards, 1993-4
Friends Meeting House 1828, almshouses 1835. William Alderson design. Demolished 1957 but cemetery behind remains.
Yoakley Almshouses were 1835 endowment. Next to the meeting house and demolished 1957. Now a Seventh Day Adventist church