Stoke Newington

 This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked

Post to the north Stoke Newington

Albion Grove

Chapel. Late 19th Gothic, converted to housing in 1993

Allen Road

Mid 19th shopping street


Amhurst Road

St.James, West Hackney Church.  1825 given by Thyssen bombed 1940 and rebuilt Association with Daniel Defoe.  Architect Smirke of the British Museum.  Waterloo church although copy is a ruin.  Original was not dedicated to any saint, called Saint James for no particular reason.  1879 churchyard laid out as a recreation ground.  .  Churchyard managed by Hackney District Board.

St.Paul 1960, furthest parish from Cornhill standard allowed

Abney Congregational Church, 1838 bombed 19

Amhurst Arms.  Stucco. 

April Street

Laid out on Tyssen Estate 1881. With neat two- storey terraces by a Hoxton builder, John Grover.  They have the dates 1881-4, and are reminiscent of progressive low-rise philanthropic housing of this time.

Arcola Street

This was a slum area in the early c20.

Austere brick Hackney Borough flats of 1939 by Joseph. The low amenity building in the centre, Hindle House, was modernized by Hunt Thompson c. 1987.

Arundel Grove

Bradbury Street

Youth Enterprise Centre.  1997 by Hawkins Brown, a training centre 

Boleyn Road

Neighbourhood Centres, Borough Council offices. Islington’s four local centres to house decentralized day-to-day services planned in 1982, following the lead of Walsall.  Thirteen built or converted from existing buildings Chris Purslow, Borough Architect.  Look cheap but  red brick, pantiled roofs and Mackintosh-style gridded windows.  Part-polygonal, mostly open-plan offices, with central clerestory-lit gallery useful for discreet surveillance and under it, tiny interview rooms and a waiting area that opens into a garden segment.

Butterfield Green

Open space around footpath, to Butterfield's Church of St Matthias

Cecila Road

49 Norfolk Arms

Covlestone Crescent

Spottiswood’s Printing Works HMSO

Colvestone School. Gothic church school. 1862 by Knightley.  

Gothic Church Hall. 1874 elaborately dormered 1874 by E.L. Blackburne.   Verger’s accommodation included. Listed Grade II but at one time considered to be at risk.

alston Cross

Hygienic covered shopping centre of c. 1992, 

Downs Park Road

Elton Place

Elton Street

Gateway Mews

King Henrys Walk

Called this because Mildmay was part of a royal hunting area.

Chorley Hall

1,5,11 Mildmay Villas

8 Order of the Ursulines of Jesus

Tudor Court site of Tilers and Bricklayer’s Almshouses

Almshouses of Worshipful Company of Dyers

Docwra’s Building, 1 was offices of Thomas Docwra and Sons, well borers and general contractors

57 Bakehouse shop with oven in the basement, opened 1863 was 6 St Jude’s Place.  Adam Hexamer German baker, 1867.  Was King Henry’s Bakery owned by Simon Mill also German.  1907 John Jacobi.  Stayed there in various forms until 1944.  Anglicised in First World War.  1951-82 builders and printers

St.Jude’s church

Mildmay Lodge

St.Jude’s Cottages

St. Jude’s Schools

Tudor Court


Named because supposed to have been a Royal residence on the green - some sort of institution for lepers there.  Part of Metropolitan Borough of Hackney

Kingsland High Street

41 former Eel Pie and Mash shop – fishy scenes and eely ornament. The Cockney spirit continues.  Fitted up in 1910 with additions of the 1930s.  Tiled interior.  Rear dining room of 1936 with coloured glass domes.

Rio Cinema. Victorian mood is broken by the cinema, 1913-15 by Adams & Coles, transformed in streamlined style by F. E. Bammige in 1937, when a lower auditorium was inserted below the still-surviving early c20 roof structure.  The exterior simplified later.  Curved corner

Former cinema further north, cream-faience-fronted, at the comer of Trumans Road.

Rio Cinema.  The Kingsland Empire, an early cinema dating from 1915 and an early design by the prolific George Coles, was rebuilt by Bromige in 1937. The rather lofty original auditorium was truncated with a new lower ceiling, which curved smoothly down dramatically to the front stalls and the exterior was re-clad in ribbed stucco with its new name, the Classic, in giant angular neon-lit lettering on the front and curving up the side wall. It was one of the first of a famous circuit of repertory cinemas and at different times it became known as the Classic Continental (from 1960) when foreign-language films were tried and the Tatler Club from 1970, showing "adult" films. Since 1976, it has operated as the Rio and become a very popular and, until recently, rather bohemian and scruffy cinema venue. Now a listed building, it has recently been sensitively and elegantly modernised by architects Burrell Foley Fischer

Landor Court

Londesborough Park.

St.Faith bombed.

Matthias Road

St Matthias. Spearhead of the High Church campaign in Hackney and Stoke Newington, led by Robert Brett, a resident of Newington Green.Designed by William Butterfield, 1849-53; The post-war repairs, completed in 1954, introduced a plain timber roof in place of Butterfield's red brick and stone chancel vault, whitewashed walls, and a new organ gallery

Hewling Estate. five storey blocks. 1938. by Howes & Jackman, for Stoke Newington,

Mayville Estate. LCC. Thin interwar blocks with streamlined balconies contrasting with the pale brick additions of the 1950s,                         

Palantine Avenue

Called after German Protestant refugees settled in eighteenth century. 

Palatine House belonged to Charles Greenwood friend of Wesley and Trustee of the Chapel friend Charles Greenwood, who had an upholstery business in the City and was one of the first Trustees of Wesley's Chapel. His father, James Greenwood, had been one of the earliest members at the Foundery. Wesley retired here on several occasions, as did John Fletcher, to rest and write

Palatine Cottage where Anna Sewell lived, built to accommodate refugees from the Palatine. childhood homes of author of Black Beauty.

Perch Street

Laid out on Tyssen Estate 1881. With neat two- storey terraces by a Hoxton builder, John Grover.  They have the dates 1881-4, and are reminiscent of progressive low-rise philanthropic housing of this time.

Queen Margaret’s Court

Queen Margaret’s Grove

Ridley Road

Birkbeck schools pictures gothic brick school

Street market, lively and chaotic.  Once scene of riots between Fascists and Jews.  Entrance to the market by Freeform Artworks planned 1997. 

Sandringham Road

Estate of the 1940s.  Heart of the area. Appropriately Gothic terraces of 1867 opposite. The heart of the area developed by the local builders Jordan & Paine.

Vicarage by Chester Cheston, 1872-3.

8 All Nations Hairdressing Salon. 

Seal Street

Laid out on Tyssen Estate 1881. With neat two- storey terraces by a Hoxton builder, John Grover.  They have the dates 1881-4, and are reminiscent of progressive low-rise philanthropic housing of this time.


Green. Managed by Hackney District Board

Smart middle class housing grew up around St.Mark’s church

Shacklewell House stood on the north west corner of the green.  Site of Seal Street.  Heron family home and later owned by Tyssen

Shacklewell Lane

Its old origin indicated by an c19 group on the side, convened to flats c. 1990

Triangle.  Managed by Hackney District Board

105 Edna’s Hairdressing Salon 

Gateway Mews new housing tactfully fitted in behind

Kingsland School. The older parts built as Dalston County Secondary, 1938 by the LCC (E. P. Wheeler).  

St. Barnabas Merchant Taylors' School Mission, 1909-11, an early work by Sir Charles Reilly, decorated by 1935-6.  The chancel screen in the same taste, with figures by Tyson Smith added in 1935, is a piquant addition, which comes off much more happily than one might expect.  Chancel fittings by Reilly.  c19 Gothic pulpit from Christ Church, Rendlesham Road.

Mission Rooms facing the road, 1890, .

Merchant Taylors’ school mansions 1910.  Nicely grouped for details.  Estate best of the post war.  Peoples Farm

Uktit Sheik Nazim Mosque and Cultural Centre.  Built as a synagogue. 1903 by Lewis Solomon.  Central dome added in 1983 when it became a mosque, the earliest of Hackney's large mosques.  

Shacklewell Baths.  1931, by the Borough Engineer Percival Holt 

Shacklewell Road Estate.  Planned by Gibberd for Hackney in 1945. A long strip extending to Stoke Newington Road.  Built 1946-7.  An influential pioneer example of 'mixed development', including both houses and flats, in reaction to the standard pre-war solution of flats for the city, cottages for the suburbs.ingredients of the Festival of Britain style are still recognizable: coloured ceramic tiles and porches and little curved balconies of Regency inspiration

Somerford Estate.  Planned by Gibberd for Hackney in 1945.  Festival of Britain style. Experimenting with flats and maisonettes grouped. Won Festival of Britain merit award

Shacklewell Row

Shacklewell. Post 1965 ILEA school.  .

St.Barnabas. It takes some finding.  Not visible from the street.  Merchant Taylor’s School Mission.  1909. Nave with concrete tunnel vaults.

Mission Rooms

Shakespeare Walk

Somerford Road

Halevi Community Centre previously a factory of 1929

Health Centre.

St.Jude Street

Some rehabilitation of the 1980s, ending in a varied two- and three-storey group of sheltered housing

St.Mark’s Rise

Smart middle- class housing grew up in the 1860s around the colossal Church of St Mark

St.Mark’s church.  Brick church of 1864.  Choir boys wear pinstripe, external barometer.  Chester Cheston architect for Amhurst Estate for which his father was the solicitor. On the tower a turret barometer.

Church Hall .

Stoke Newington

Metropolitan Borough, name means new village on the borders of a wood

S.Simpson 2,500 on protected work pre 1939 also in Lanark since 1940

Stoke Newington Road

linking Stoke Newington and Dalston, has later c19 terraces, the best group attached to an elaborately stuccoed pub at the comer of

109 is older, c. 1800, lone survivor from a hamlet called the Palatine estate after an early c19 settlement of German Protestants.

Halevi Community Centre a large former factory of 1929 by Hobden & Pom,

Princess May Road School 1900 board school.  With dignified gabled frontage to Stoke Newington Road.  As elsewhere in London, the type developed from the 1870s, to the full-blown formal three-decker compositions of T.J. Bailey of the 1890s and beyond.

Somerfield Estate

Alexandra Theatre

Savoy Cinema

St.Paul. 1958.  Replacing bombed St. James.  

Aziziye Mosque. Former cinema altered in 1992. Stucco-fronted.  A domed prayer hall, with enlarged windows and small domes to comer towers.

Magistrates Court built as Dalston Police Court by the Office of Works.  Not in use now. Built 1889 by John Taylor.  

Well Court

Woodville Road

Wordsworth Road

Electricity Sub Station 1930. Pretty former

Ickborough School.  Special school.  Cosham building system can be dismantled.  WCs in the centre rest round the outside.

Baptist Church 1894


Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow