London Local History - this lists street by street items of historical interest - public, industrial buildings & some environmental features in London and its immediate surroundings. Streets are given in OS grid squares - but numbering is not included (sorry!). Older squares give links to adjacent squares - but many are unfinished. Enter search words above right
This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked
North London Progressive Synagogue.
Built as a Methodist church. After war damage, reconstructed as a synagogue by
Derek Sharpe, in 1961..
House. Intriguing 3-storey Victorian house in Amhurst Park, Stamford Hill.
Built in 1881 as one of a development of several houses, this house is still
remarkably intact and to an astonishing extent retains the feel of a Victorian
residence. The house has remained in single occupancy with its plan form unaltered,
increasingly rare in a house of this size these days. From the 1920s until the
1970s the house was owned by the Cooke family of the Kingsland High Street, the
jellied eel company.
HillStation 1872. Between Seven Sisters and Stoke Newington on
One Railway. Built by the Great Eastern Railway to serve select Amhurst Park.
New ticket office and everything changed by the GLC in 1984.
Our Lady of Good Counsel.
Plaque saying 'pioneer of the Garden City movement lived here'.
New Synagogue.The Hassidic movement came from Poland.Synagogue and school Built
in 1914-15 by E. M. Joseph for the prosperous Jewish community of Stamford Hill
as a replacement for their City synagogue at Great St Helens, 1837-8 by John
Davies, on which this is modelled.Fittings brought from the City
synagogue in Leadenhall
Street built in 1760. Listed Grade II but at one time
considered to be at risk.
10 Politi' s Turkish Delight Factory which had stationary steam engines, probably to
stir Turkish-delight mix. Steam would also have been used for process purposes
and there were boilers as a square-cross-section brick chimney was built at the
back ofthe works, to the north east. The chimney remained with the white
lettering Politi running vertically downwards clearly visible. The yellow brick
building which fronts Manor Road is two storey, of two bays with double pitch
roofs. The gables are decorated with the Star of David and on the eastern gable
is the date 1911. In the centre of the façade at first floor level there is a
loading loophole with a cathead. This loophole may be a fairly recent addition.
The brick chimney is immediately behind this building and has iron bands and a
lightening conductor. Politi's had a 1901 horizontal single-cylinder steam engine
by Marshall Sons & Co Ltd of Gainsborough still at work cl978. There was
also on standby an inverted vertical single-cylinder enclosed engine made about
1950 by W Sisson and Co Ltd of Gloucester.
Stamford Hill Library.1968. , 1968 by the Borough Architect's Department, Borough
Architect J. L. Sharratt
Manor Road Freight sidings between Stamford Hill and Stoke
Newington Stations on the down side.
Church of the Good
Shepherd.Agapemonte church.Surrealist, colossal stone symbols of the
evangelists bronze or copper set at the corners of the parapet.Other details are off centre, faint echo of
druids.Ark of the Covenant.1895 expansive.In 1902 Rev.Piggot announced that he was
by Joseph Morris & Sons of Reading.Built as the 'Ark of the Covenant', for the Agapemone sect, followers of
Henry James Prince 1899, who founded his Agapemone, abode of love, at Spaxton,
Somerset.Big tower and spire displaying low down large stone sculptures by A. G.
Walters of the four symbols of the evangelists, and higher up on the buttresses
bronze ones of the same subjects.Apsed, aisle less
interior, with much symbolic decoration signifying the new creation.Carved corbels by Walters, and a complete set
of stunning stained glass windows of 1896, designed by Walter Crane, and
executed by J. Sylvester Sparrow in antique glass.Intense colour with no white glass.In the apse windows the Dove of Peace a lion
of Judah, with the translation of Enoch and Elijah.Eight nave windows with symbolic flowers, w
windows with the Sun Righteousness flanked by Sin and Shame and Disease and
Dead elongated writhing figures tortured by flames and snakes.
'hill by a sandy ford', showing the
same change from Sandford as Stamford Bridge. ‘Sanford’ 1225, ‘Saundfordhull’
1294, ‘Sampfordehill’ 1410, ‘Stamford Hill’ 1675. The original ford was
probably situated where the road called crossed the small stream shown on the
Ordnance Survey map of 1822 flowing east into the River Lea. The place was
still a tiny hamlet in the middle of the 18th century.
The main road through
Tottenham and Stamford Hill – it is part of Ermine Street continuing from Stoke Newington High Street.Ermine Street goes from London to Lincoln.In a 1745 this was a small village at the junction
of Hackney Lane and Cambridge Road.From
here James I first saw London.Dominated by
interwar flats, which replaced large older houses.The
continuation northwards of Stoke Newington High Street is a fine broad
thoroughfare about a mile long, and lined with good-class houses and a
sprinkling of newly erected blocks of flats.It leads to the High Road, Tottenham, about four miles from Liverpool
Cinema. The first theatre Coles
planned on his own was for UPT, the Stamford Hill Cinema, which opened on
Boxing Day, 1925.
69 Three Crows Inn
Lubavitch Foundation. 1967
neat and abrasive.By David Stem & Partners.
51-53 once superior, now adjuncts of a service station and
117 Skinners Company School
for Girls. Quite grand. 1889 by E.
Trust Estate of 1932 by Joseph, flat-roofed five-storey
blocks in serried ranks nine deep, with minimal Georgian detail.
Hill Estate, one of the LCC's larger estates (516 flats planned, 353
Post to the south Woodside Post to the east Birkbeck Post to the north Anerley Albert Road This road is the earliest built here, first listed in 1855, and although the Croydon Canal was no longer in use it influenced the alignment of the road. From the junction with Portland Road looking the curve of the road reflects the line of the old canal which was to the north of the houses. It is named after Albert, the Prince Consort. 74-76 Stanleybury . Very large three-storey semis. Built for William Stanley, who moved to 74 in 1867. William Stanley’s works in South Norwood was complimented by his local philanthropy. His site is now a close of modern flats. Accidentally demolished. 67 small trading estate and MOT centre . At one time this was home to a theatre transport specialist. St.Mark . This was the first church in the area and is the parish church by G. H. Lewis. The nave was built in 1852 and the church was extended in 1862 and in successive years until 1890. It is in Kentis
Post to the west (north west quarter) Mile End Post to the west (north east quarter) Post to the east Bromley by Bow Post to the north Old Ford Addington Road Addington Arms . Pub dating from the 1860s. It does not appear to be still there. Police stables . From 1938 twenty horses were located here. These stables were built in moderne style white concrete by police surveyor Gilbert Mackenzie Trench. There is a stable at the back as well as tack rooms and a chimney for the forge – there was a full time farrier. Above are two flats for married police officers. The white concrete wall is original. Alfred Street 1-5 Inland Revenue Office . Sold off 1981. Has been used as a college an as offices Almshouses Way, This was once called Priscilla Street. 1 Drapers' Almshouses . These were built in 1706. What remains is a brick group of four tenements with central raised and pedimented chapel. They were restored in 1982 but were originally part of a larger group funded by
River Lea/Bow Creek The Lea winds itself generally southwards towards the Thames TQ 39505 81448 Canning Town on the Essex bank of Lea/Bow Creek. This was, and is, a heavily industrialised area together with a very down market housing area with markets, shops, cinemas, pubs and many charitable and missionary organisations. In the 2000s public transport has been transformed and much housing renewed, and it is an area in a great deal of change. Post to the west Poplar Post to the south Leamouth and Dome Post to the east Canning Town, Butchers Road Post to the north West Ham Station Appleby Road The road is named after a local ARP warden who was killed during the Blitz. A pre-war suburban ideal is demonstrated in this West Ham estate. Barking Road It was built by the Commercial Road Turnpike Trust from the East India Docks eastwards. Now the A124 it formed part of the original A13 before the building so the East Ham and Barking Bypass in 1928. It was widened as part o