This post is not finished and not been checked or edited
1810 improved by Tilbury Fort Turnpike Trust and called New Road to give access to dock areas at Tilbury and Barking, previously only footpaths from London
St.Bartholomew 1911, only a shell. A tall block in dark red brick incorporating church, day-care centre and surgeries, with three storeys of old people's flats above. Planned from 1975, built 1979-83 by APEC with joint funding from Newham and the health authority. It arose out of the diocese of Chelmsford’s special study of East Ham churches carried out by Martin Purdy (of APEC) in the 1970s. by Micklethwaite & Sowers Clarke, gutted 1941, restored 1949- 52, the principal church in the centre of East Ham, successor to St John in High St North. The new church retains a presence on the main road,
747 Parents’ Centre,
East Ham Town Hall. part of a remarkable complex of municipal buildings erected before the First World War. In 1898 East Ham Urban District Council, decided to concentrate all of its civic buildings on one site - a library, a technical college, fire station, baths, a tram depot and an electrical generating station .The town hall was built first in 1901-3, the result of a competition won by Henry A. Cheers and Joseph Smith. It has a clock tower, a public hall on an upper floor and the council suite. additional buildings by the Borough Engineer A.H. Campbell. thinking behind this was J.H. Bethell first mayor of East Ham 1904-5. total costs were £80,000. At the Barking Road corner an arched entrance and stairs go to the Assembly Room. Along the High Street different functions are distinguished: with an entrance to the Town Clerk's and Treasurer's departments. as well as to former police courts, committee rooms, and the council chamber. This is now the centre of Council administration for the whole Borough of Newham.
The Assembly Hall, with stage and large gallery, planned to seat 1,200, The windows have small busts, above the radiators are relief panels with ships. A semi-octagonal ticket-booth is at the entrance.
The Council Chamber , original horseshoe seating and panelling.
Electricity supply box in the forecourt of the Town Hall Bearing the East Ham coat of arms.
Committee rooms have coved ceilings and sliding partitions.
Police courts, now divided, were on the ground floor, with cells beneath.
Library 1907-8, was funded by Andrew Carnegie and designed by A.H. Campbell, Borough Surveyor, very much in the spirit of Cheers and Smith. It occupies a prestigious site originally intended for the Fire Station. Extended 1910 for Public Health and Education Departments.
Fire Station 1913-14 was displaced to the corner of Nelson Street; a less elaborate red brick and stone frontage with a good corner feature. The 1878 West Ham No.1 Fire Station’s hose drying tower still there. Now part of the Municipal Offices. New fire station built in Romford Road 1964 houses the London Fire Brigade Eastern Command and 'F' Division HO.
Firemen's cottages behind.
Baths originally of 1911-12, designed by Campbell, extended 1933, but reconstructed as part of the Leisure Centre of 2001. On the new wall a tile relief commemorates the borough's trams and three big gables are the frontage of the former Tramshed.
Tram Depot c. 1901. In the 1980s the buildings were practically unchanged. Rails still in situ, overhead protection for wires still there just inside the entrance. The tramway system owned by the Borough was completed in 1907 and linked up with the West Ham later. by Campbell, 1901
Corporation Electricity Works. Power station behind the Town Hall was built at the same time. 1900-1 Had generating stations, car sheds, etc., and by 1908 all East Ham thoroughfares were illuminated by electricity.
Entrance to the Leisure Centre of 2000-1 is approached from the north.t foyer and cafe in front are separated by a glass wall from an L-shaped swimming pool lit by clerestory and circular rooflight. Gym and other facilities are in brick buildings on the tramshed site. |
Former Technical College now offices, but built to house both a secondary school and an evening college. By Cheers &' Smith 1903-4, designed to complement the Town Hall, and equally bombastic in its detail, especially in the entrance facing the Town Hall with its attendant terracotta lions. The other entrance, with a porch, faces Barking Road.
Methodist Central hall, 1905, more Baroque than the Town Hall
Police Station. 1901-4 by J. Dixon Butler, surveyor to the Metropolitan Police. Doulton terracotta dressings
Gala Clubs Bingo Hall, former Granada Cinema 1936 by W.E. Trent. Striking faience-clad Art Deco front with taller side and curved end. Classical interior by T. Komisarjevsky, Granada’s preferred designer. Large, well preserved foyer; at end an iron-railed stair up to balcony. Square piers with Ionic capitals. First-floor cafe in front. Auditorium for 2,468. Beatles played here in 1963 and Phil Everley in 1964.
The Central a with half-timbered gables above green-tiled ground floor,
East Ham electricity supply box
East Ham Empire Kinema, 1914-1936, demolished
Odeon, 1938-1981, derelict
33l Town Hall Annexe, 1938-9 by A. T. Bridgewater, Borough Engineer; austere, stripped classical with a slightly stepped central cornice,
Employment Exchange - . 'Employers’ above the front entrance, now disused
Duke's Head rebuilt 1900, striped .
Streets named after Henry VIII's wives, laid out on the were built up with indifferent housing in the 1870s-80s and rebuilt after the Second World War.
Lathom Junior School, 1897. Three- decker with projecting staircase towers. Main entrance in Clements Road where there are also caretaker's house and cookery centre. Central hall with classrooms each side.
Three hamlets in 1360-14 Wallend, Plashet and Green Street
George Henry Wilson, manufacturing chemist, 1912
East Ham Corporation lamp with hydrant
Hartley Primary School. 1901-2 by Robert L.Curtis. Three-decker with corner turrets for the cloakrooms.
Central Park. Opened 1898. The grounds were those of the early c18 Rancliffe House. Rusticated gate piers of 1905 at the corner. Near the entrance, formal garden with small three-tier fountain, and four large iron urns of c. 1929 from the Co-operative Stores in the High Street, demolished 1989. East Ham Urban District Council originally bought the grounds of Rancliffe House for a park in the centre of the growing town. The park was gradually enlarged by land purchases to its present size.flower beds, a wide variety of trees and shrubs, a paddling pool, children's play area, a bowling green, cricket pitch, tennis courts and a Tree Trail.
Fire Station, recent adjoining a grand formal composition of the 1920s, . A large archway with triple keystone.
War Memorial, designed gratis by Robert Banks-Martin, mayor of East Ham during the First World War. A Lutyens-type composition in Portland stone; aedicule with two bronze wreaths suspended within open branches. Bronze plaques below with a vast number of names.
Broadway Cinema 1913-1957
High Street North
Had few houses until the 1880s. Development as a town centre shopping street was at first modest, and is still so, for grander buildings have come and gone: they included a large Edwardian music hall close to the railway, 1905 by Wylson & Long, demolished after the Second World War,
East Ham Electric Theatre/Academy 1910-1922 demolished
Palace Theatre/ Regal Palace/ Palace 1906-1956 demolished
Picture Coliseum/ Coliseum 1912-1943
464 St Edmund King and Martyr. The former church by Cuas, 1901-34, which stood at the corner of Halley Road, was replaced in 1989 by flats for Springboard Housing association, by APEC. The vicarage, a large house with hipped gables, was adapted by APEC, 1988, into a multi-use centre with a chapel. Later additions of 1993-4 are by Cottrell & Vermeulen.
Shopping activity is concentrated in Market Street
Car park is site of a commanding Co-operative Stores of 1929 (its urns are now in 'Central Park).
A cinema, now bingo hall, with thin tower, black fins and black tiled frame. Formerly the Premier Electric. The long foyer had its origin as a theatre of 1912, it was rebuilt as a cinema by W.E. Trent in 1921 with an auditorium seating 2,409.
Former Post Office with George V monogram, in Office of Works Free English Baroque: striped brick and stone with pedimental gable.
Market Hall of 1922, low but extensive, with pedimented entrance.
The Denmark Arms commands the corner with fussy late c19 frontage with terracotta ornament and a corner turret, possibly by F.W.Ashton. The Free Classical additions are of 1903 by C.J. Dawson,
Corporation Electricity Works
Nelson Primary, 1901, is a grimly plain three-decker.
Congregational and Methodist Church. A rebuilding of 1956 by AD. Cooke, replacing a Congregational church of 1900.
Hall of 1910, an attractive interior, aisled, with timber piers, clerestory and open trussed roof. Its frontage to Market Street has pilasters and arched openings with red brick dressings
Fellowship House, St.Bartholomew's former vicarage, which began as a detached villa of c.1850.
City Glass Bottle co from 1890 to 1893
St.Andrew’s church Neo-Early English. Vicarage 1871.
1970s a late addition, by Newham, . The blank walls which shield the houses from Barking Road have been cheered up by panels of text and attractive cutout metalwork designs of c. 2000.
Atlas bus garage in the 1920s. Laundry and then a power tool centre.
St Michael (R.C.) 1959 by A.J. Newton of Buries & Newton. Bold and bright, with a thin, detached, brick bell tower and a steeply pitched roof
Primary school; its main buildings with two gables, dated 1931.
Recorded thus c.1530 and marked as ‘Wall End’ on the Ordnance Survey map of 1805, that is 'district - of East Ham - by the ‘wall', from Middle English ‘wall’ and ‘ende’. The 'wall' was perhaps an early riverside defence in this low-lying area by the River Roding and is referred to earlier in the surname of ‘Semon ate Walle’ 1319, that is 'living at the wall", from Middle English atte 'at the'.
Invicta Garage still there in 177 light industry.
Well preserved streets around Central Park note the houses with two-storey bay windows. This was part of the estate developed from 1887 on land built up in the c18 by Ynyr Burges. The East India Company. His house stood in High Street South until the mid ci9.