East Ham

  This post is not finished and not been checked or edited

Post to the north East Ham

Post to the east East Ham and River Roding

Post to the south New Beckton

Post to the east Plaistow

Brooks Avenue
A long row of early municipal dwellings of 1902 by the borough engineer A.H.  Gompbett, contemporary with and similar to those built at Savage Gardens, Beckton. Named after John Brooks, chairman of the committee. Cottage flats (since converted to houses)   

Burford Road
St George And St Ethelbert. Hidden among the neat, uneventful streets of Barking Road, a quiet but carefully detailed brick building of 1935-7 by Newberry & Fowler, which succeeded a mission church of 1912. Over half the cost was raised through an appeal by the Bishop of Hereford to his diocese, hence the dedication to St Ethelbert, the Herefordshire martyr who came from Essex. .
Vicarage brick and pantiled house of 1957.
Hall 1960s , with barrel roof. 

East Ham
Three ponds, illegal prizefighting.  In 1839 there was fog and punters, fell into the pond.  Ham 1875 area known for its pickling onions. An agricultural backwater until the late 19th. Market gardens known for potatoes and onions.

Green Street
Our Lady Of Compassion (R.C.).  Successor to the c19 R.C. chapel at Boleyn Castle 1911 by R.L. Curtis. 

High Street South
Baths, swimming, slipper
White Horse

St.Mary parish church.  Church is supposed to have been built by two sisters for a brother who had died in the crusades - it is as it was built around 1130 - but used earlier for burials. It stands in a vast overgrown churchyard on flat land stretching to the embankment of the outfall sewer. It keeps its 12th Norman form complete plus a tower and some windows. Antiquary, William Stukely, 1765, chose to be buried in the churchyard. By the later 19th it was rescued from demolition by a report by J. T.  Micklethwaite and restored in 1891-6. Further repairs after war damage in 1940, 1965-6 and in the 1980s. The 13th tower is of rough gravel conglomerate and te rest of the building is of roughly coursed ragstone rubble. The apse is 12th and a small arched window low down is assumed to be for an anchorite's cell and there were two burials here.  It was a small cell with three holes which would have had pegs holding a screen and the Anchorite would have been buried in his cell. There is an early 13th wall painting discovered in the 19th, whitewashed and. remains uncovered in 2003. iron circular staircase of 1908, i the tower and a medieval tenor bell dated 1380. bequests panel.  

Churchyard. Bit of land which belonged to the Abbey of Westminster which was given to Edwin, a free priest, and he built a chapel.  Probably near where the church is today.  The vast churchyard covering 9-1 acres was treated as a nature reserve from 1976, an example of the more imaginative approach to burial grounds that took off in the 1970s. By the entrance a simple Nature Interpretation Centre by APEC. 
Methodist Church. Built for  Primitive Methodists, 1885.
Newham College Of Further Education. The replacement for the technical college next to the Town Hall. A big, sheer curtain-walled slab of 1962 by the Borough of East Ham. Eight storeys, pale mosaic-faced spandrels to the upper floors. On the blind wall of the wing, an abstract mosaic mural on a curved panel
Manor House
Became RC school

Sandford Road
Jewish Cemetery.   Chambers, little space left.  Prayer hall.  Columbium.  Scruffy, Marcus Lipton.  Founded 1919. Crowded with tombstones. Plain white-walled prayer hall and cloisters in a round-arched style, 1924 by H. W Ford.     
1863 discovery of a Roman cemetery when the sewer was being dug.  Shirley House estate 1880s.  

West Ham Lane and Romford Road

Vicarage Lane
Schools, 1910, two storeys, and 1912, one storey, . On these later schools dates in large metal letters provide a little extra interest.


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town