Willesden

    This post is not finished and has not been checked or edited



Post to the north Dollis Hill Station


Chapel End

Named from Willesden Green Independent Chapel Congregational built 1820 at the junction of the High Road. Replaced and then demolished 1908.  Also called Queenstown after Victoria visited in 1837.

298 near Dudden Hill Lane was Willesden Green Electric Palace in 1910. Savoy 1932 and Metropolitan in 1949. 

St Andrew

Vicarage

Parish Hall

Schools

New Testament Church of God

 

Chapter Road

Chamberlayne Wood and the site of the farmhouse/

Curzon Crescent

Workers Flats

Donnington Road

Willesdon Sports Centre

Pound Lane

Jews Cemetery. 1973. Behind W.Mills Rolls Royce works

Rolls Royce works

Robson Avenue

Willesden General Hospital

Roundwood Park.

Now a public open space but part of the estate of Roundwood House which is marked on the Ordnance Survey map of 1876-7. An earlier name for this area is Hunger Hill - usually a derogatory nickname for infertile ground. So the park was made up from Knowle’s Shot and Hunger Hill Common Field.  It had been the Estate of George Furness and was rebuilt by local builder. There is a steep hill in the centre. It was opened on 11th May 1895 by Mr. Littler, Chair of Middlesex County Council.  Converted into a park  by O.C.Robson

Roundwood House was the home of George Furness who was opposed to Harlesden becoming part of Willesden and then became first chairman of the new board.

Knowles Tower . building with tall chimneys used by the Inland Revenue during the First World War. Taken over by Willesden Council in 1937 and demolished.

Willesden Green Library 1894

Willesden High Road

Willesden Dean of St Paul's Manor

St. Andrew

56 Willesden bus garage, London General Omnibus Co., rail lines still there

Spotted Dog

Old cottages behind the Spotted Dog

London and South West Bank

Corner of Huddlestone Road Willesden Police Station built 1896.  Gas lamp on the corner

Strode Road

Gamier & Co Ltd.  'Manufacturers of vitreous-enamelled steel signs. The founder, Charles Gamier, was born in Paris in 1841 and came to England with his wife and daughter in the 1870s. He worked at home, producing engraved work and enamelled copper medallions and jewellery. By the 1880s he was making cut-out enamelled copper letters for window advertising, which were much in demand. In 1887 he formed a partnership and began to trade as Gamier & Co. in Farringdon Street. Larger premises were needed, and were found in Strode Road, Willesden, where a factory was set up in 1898. The whole business was concentrated at Willesden from 1941. Eventually the sole owner was a Miss Sydenham, who would not allow the organisation to be altered and died in 1995 aged 88. Today the company still makes name plates for the Underground, street nameplates for Westminster and Camden, cab licence plates, and many other similar products, which are exported worldwide.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

Bromley by Bow

Phillibrook Stream - Leytonstone