Wanstead and Snaresbrook

Post to the west Whipps Cross - Epping Forest

Post to the north South Woodford

Blake Hall Road
Temple with ionic portico at the back from Wanstead House

Buckingham Road
One of a group of county related names

Cambridge Park
Our Lady Of Lourdes R.C.. 1927-8 by Geoffrey Raymond of Scales & Raymond, the aisles completed 1934 and 1940. 
Methodist Church. Built as a Methodist Free Church by Frederick Boreham, 1875, small but elaborate. 

Eastern Avenue
Wanstead Station.  14th December  1947. Between Woodford and Redbridge on the Central Line. Sited opposite George Green. A good design of 1937-8 by Charles Holden completed after the war with the original intentions, crisp box-like exterior faced with grey tiles.

George Green - rectangular green with trees on three sides
Jubilee Fountain on the corner
The Elms demolished for the road, Central Line rus beneath it

Gloucester Road
One of a group of county related names

Grove Park
Grove Park and The Avenue, laid out in 1889 by Pons, Sulman & Co
Wanstead Grove, big house, now demolished stood near the junction of the two roads. It was built by Sir Francis Dashwood, and rebuilt in 1822. Extensive formal grounds included a long canal from
Pond. Remnant survival of Wanstead Grove.
2 a house of 1890 plaque commemorating the astronomer royal, James Bradley 1762, whose research was encouraged by his uncle, rector of Wanstead. Bradley set up his telescope in a house near here.

Grosvenor Road
The Shrubbery is a group of flats, around a cedar tree, c. 1930 Cockett, Henderson & Gillow for North East London Properties Co. 

Hereford Road
Hermon Hill
Holy Trinity1886-7 by James Fowler. 
Temporary iron church remains acquired from St Michael, Camden Town and erected in 1882.
Hall 1907, 
Hermon Hill Methodist Church. 1876. 

High Street

6-8 a pair of rural cottages at right angles to the street, .
27 Hadley House local
Snaresbrook Station .  22nd August 1856. Between Leytonstone and South Woodford on the Central Line. Built in 1856 by the Eastern Counties Railway on the Loughton Railway. The original station house of 1856 survives and the canopy spandrels on the up side platform have a remarkable resemblance to locomotive wheels. In 1893 the station was enlarged with a bay platform and partly rebuilt and some buildings from this period survive and another entrance added in 1903. In  1929 the name was changed to ‘Snaresbrook for Wanstead’.  In 1947 it became part of the Central Line and was rebuilt with a new ticket hall on the west side.  It was then renamed ‘Snaresbrook’. Some buildings and features of this period survive.
Goods yard and sidings. Closed and became a car park in 1947.

159 George. pub, opposite Wanstead Station, has a marble porch, and partly frosted windows. There are a number of distinct drinking areas, one just by the main door even has a library. This pub is a celebration for all Georges - many famous Georges abound, not to forget St George. On the site of an 18th inn, rebuilt 1904 by A.J. Bywater, as a plaque explains. Tablet dated 1752, and portrait medallion of George III. It was the ‘George and Dragon’ from 1716 but rebuilt in 1962 – there is an inscription about a cherry pie
The Limes was opposite the George, demolished.

Church School, founded 1796, now mostly of 1980, but with the teacher's house remaining, 1840-1 by Blore, with a bellcote.  New school now as part of itl
War Memorial Tall plinth with bronze angel of Victory signed by N.A. Trent on northern green
Green - Epping Forest land at crossroads with Hollybush Hill

Hollybush Hill
Drinking Fountain. At the junction with Wanstead High Street. 1872 with shingled spirelet for the 1897 Jubilee two water taps and a trough.

Leicester Road
New Wanstead
Weavers Almshouses. Built 1857 by Joseph Jennings. Simple two-storey ranges with a centrepiece plus the weavers’ arms with their motto 'weave truth with trust', and reset plaques of 1824 and 1851. The buildings replaced foundations at Shoreditch of 1670 and Spitalfields 1729.  They were threatened with demolition in the 1970s, and instead, interiors were remodelled by EG. Dobson and H.M. Grellier & Son. who added a parallel range behind, with a central community room.

Nightingale Lane
79 Duke of Edinburgh. pub in the wilds of outer London. The wall panelling creates the impression of an older pub. Shove-ha'penny table
United Reformed Church. 1864-7, built for Congregationalist 19th Free Church in Wanstead. It made use of stuff from St Luke, Kings Cross, a Gothic church demolished for St Pancras station an re-erected her.
Grove Hall, 1895-6 with open timber roof. Original school room of Cromwell Hall, rebuilt

Nutter Lane:
Applegarth 1710. Home of Nutter family

Rutland Road
One of a group of county related names

'Place by the brook in or near which traps were set’. Recorded thus in 1599 and on the OS map of 1805.  From Middle English broke 'brook' with an uncertain first element, possibly a surname or Middle English snare 'a snare or trap for catching wild animals and birds'. The small stream here flowed into the River Roding; and there is still a piece of water at Snaresbrook known as Eagle Pond from the Eagle Inn which was earlier Snares pond on Rocque's map. On this same map the brook itself is marked as Sayesbrook, perhaps an alternative name and clearly to be associated with a tenement called Sayes 1383 and with the 19th-century field names Great & little Seds. All these would seem to derive from a different Middle English name Say recorded in nearby Essex parishes from the 13th century.  It is an old part of Wanstead.

Christ Church Green
Spratt Green was then Christ Church Green bought by Local Board as a park in 1860.  The parochial school had been built here in 1790.. 
Christ church. chapel of ease, built 1869 by the rector of Wanstead, Rev. W.P. Wigram, brother of the Bishop of Rochester, whose diocese included this area at the time and were the sons of the shipbuilder.  Hidden near the centre of the green

Spratt Hall Road
Library by D. Meyer and B. Ettridge of Redbridge Architect's Dept. Single storey. .
Churchill Hall, meeting room.
Police Station of 1886 by John Butler, standing out here because of its brick

The Avenue
Grove Park and The Avenue, laid out in 1889 with comfortably large houses by Pons, Sulman & co
14 Temple House. Garden temple 1730-40. timber Ionic portico which originally looked over the canal. Possibly 1730s by the then owner, Matthew Wymondesold, who extended the gardens. 
20 remains of Wanstead House Gardens.  tree house at the back and brick built Gazebo on a cruciform base from Wanstead Grove. may be the summerhouse referred to in a report pof 1713. Red brick with straight-headed sash windows.  It is built on a mound, and beneath, its brick vault was originally decorated with iron slag

'Place by a lump or hillock' .  ‘Wcenstede’ c.1050, ‘Wenstede’ 1066, ‘Wenesteda' 1086. Possibly 'place by a tumour-shaped mound', from Old English 'wen’, alternatively place where wagons are kept' if the first element is rather Old English warn 'wagon'.

Wanstead High Street 
Mall Housed - one of several houses set along the road in the 18th. Sheriden House - playwright is said to have lived here until 1793. 
17th and eighteenth century houses, attesting to the prosperity of Wanstead, 1962 
Manor House is now West Essex Conservative Club, early 18th. Twice-life-size bronze of Churchill in front, presented by French and Italian admirers and inscribed ‘giant of England'. It emerges from a stone plinth brought from old Waterloo Bridge. The house is 18th though upper parts were rebuilt. 
Houses  -Two 18th houses with shops built out in front, but at the rear is an 18th doorcase with carved brackets.
Shire Hall 75, derelict 1952
Cuckfield Hotel no.31 Edwardian skylight and windows with ‘Wenlock’ on them
50, a new block by PCKO Architects, 2002-3, set back from the street, with a pool in the forecourt. 

Wanstead Place
Church Hall, c.1970.
The former Town Hall, now a Health Clinic, was built as the local Board of Works in 1881 by its surveyor, J. T. Bressey. Grey brick.
Red Cross Centre is the former Fire Station. With doors for two engines, the fire hose tower looking like a chimney. This is on the site of Spratt Hall

Warwick Road
One of a group of county related names
Joseph Barratt junior school, 1946 called Warwick and secondary modern
11 Medium-sized cottage style garden with Large pond.
24 Small garden divided into rooms. 

Wellesley Road:
Telephone exchange 1902 National Telephone Co GPO 1912

Wellington Road:
Baptist Church iron church in 1894 1904 vestry etc.
Wanstead Lake House. Birthplace of poet Tom Hood, son of the more famous poet. Lived there 1732-35.

Woodbine Place
Tree House Nursery School school of 1912 by Whitmore, Essex County Architect, now. Single storey; 


Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow