This post has not been finished, checked or edited
Post to the west Mad Bess Wood
Post to the south Ruislip Bury Street
Post to the east Northwood Ruislip Park Wood
Ducks Hill Lane
Six Bells Inn the brick 1806
The Old Workhouse dated 1789, a replica of the Harefield workhouse of 1782. Red brick with dentil cornice, two rear wings; wing added when it was restored c. 1922
Poor's Fields refer to what was common grazing land. Threatened by building development at the beginning of this century, plans foundered during the First World War so that with consistent local residents' pressure the woods were saved and opened to the public in the 1930s. Varies from neutral grassland to grassy heath. Reptiles such as grass snakes, slow worms and adders favour this vicinity.
Adjoining the field is the nature reserve managed by the Ruislip and District NHS, consisting mainly of marsh with a number of reed fringed ponds.
Ruislip Park Reservoir. Compensating reservoir for the canal. Built by the Grand Junction Canal company in 1810 and now much used for water sports. marked Reservoir on the Ordnance Survey map of 1822; it was created as a feeder for the Grand Junction Canal.
Ruislip Lido. The lido was built for the Grand Union Canal Company in 1936 by Thomas H. Mawson and Son. It was projected as one of the first of many lidos to be distributed over a wide area on extensive reservoirs belonging to the company. The central portion contained a restaurant, dance floor and terrace; wings contained changing rooms. There were spacious lawns, tennis courts and also a car park for 250 cars.
Ruislip LNR at the northern end, marshy area managed by local natural history society
Motte and Bailey. 11th castle of Ernulf de Hesdin.