This post is not fiinished it has not been edited or checked

Post to the north (south bank only) Old Deer Park

Post to the east Richmond Station

Post to the south Richmond riverside (south of the river only)

Post to the west Richmond riverside

Little Green
Once a lane used by Charles II as a bowling green, used by the poor of Richmond, 1765 George II garden, all belongs to the Crown, another extension of the Green, with three more c18 houses,
Onslow Hall. Brick and stucco Italianate, with a round- arched ground floor, built in 1857 as a Cavalry College by Broadbridge
The Prince of Wales
Old Palace Terrace Queen Anne, Seven identical houses 1692,
Paved Court
United Reformed Church.  Complete survival of early Presbyterian church., built 1884-5 to the designs of William Wallace and Flockhart. Gothic style. Opened May 1885 with seats for 500.

Old Deer Park
Used for Horse shows etc. The park is open to the public. Now divided between Mid-Surrey golf club and playing fields.
Well heads. Nos. 1 & 2, part of the former Richmond Waterworks, were sunk in 1927-9.  They have been defunct for some years.    
King's Observatory. Designed by William Chambers, near site of Carthusian priory.  Complete at the transit of Venus in 1769. Now a block of five by three bays, it was originally like of a villa with a central bloc with basement flanked by wings.  The observatory proper was on the roof  an idea derived from observatories built in the 1740 in Sweden.Nice, somewhat Chippendale-Chinese woodwork by James Arrow. Its royal connection ceased in 1842, but it continued in use as an observatory and scientific establishment under, successively, the British Association, until 1871, the Royal Society until 1910 and the Meteorological office until 1981.  It has been restored for use as offices, but it is intended to establish a small museum there also.
Sagittarius’ front leg has it a connection with Capricorn.
Robin Hood’s hill on the river down the Sagittarius Kew
Lion and unicorn gates on Capricorn's neck shows that he is a unicorn
Merlin's cave in Kew gardens is in the middle of Capricorn
Richmond Baths. By Leslie Gooday, 1961.  The /block with the pool has a large window facing the park.Straightforward building.
King's Observatory Obelisks. These were meridian markers for aligning the instruments in the observatory.  There is a single obelisk due north of the observatory.    To remind of when the Observatory measured London’s official time. 1778.
Pond nature reserve
Grandstand of Richmond Athletic Association.  By Manning & Clamp, 1960s.                   

4-6 1734. Manor House 1976
Sun Inn
8 George Eliot wrote Scenes of Clerical Life and began Adam Bede here. Here she was living with Henry Lewes as Mary Ann Evans. The site is mow offices and the magistrates court.
Magistrates Court 1975 by the G.L.C. Architect's Department. A well proportioned building of white concrete block work and tinted clerestory-lit courtrooms. Attractively designed but an overpowering neighbour in a Georgian street. Sold off and now private offices.
Secondary School for Girls. Built by Richmond Council 1908

Richmond  Green
4 1744 belonged to Heidegger manager of the Kings Theatre Haymarket, his scene painters painted the hall. Mid c18, set back. Door leading to the staircase a painted score open
17 Virginia Woolfe and her husband lived here temporarily in 1914. This is now the goods entrance to Boots.
21-22 Roman Doric pilasters in doorways. Pilasters and friezes. Repaired and converted by Manning & Clamp as part of a larger development behind.  They are known to have been built in 1692, which makes them the first example of an urban brick terrace in London.
Cedar Grove - now called The Virginals -1813, with giant pilasters on the garden front.
Terrace on the north east side admirably reticent by Manning & Clamp, 1970, dark brown brick, with high front-garden walls forming part of the composition
Court House, again early c 18 with additions. Good large later c 18 fanlight.
Gothic Close. Site of old Theatre Royal demolished 1883 built in 1760s model of Theatre Royal Drury Lane. Keen died there. Garrick polygon for its opening ?
Garrick House on site of old theatre
Maids of Honour Row. Built in 1724 for the maids of Honour attending on the Princess of Wales, Princess Caroline of Anspach.
Oak House.  1700 one of three noteworthy houses on the site of the house of the Franciscan Observant Friars founded by Henry VII. First attributed to Robert ? A broad Tuscan porch and on the first floor a sumptuous classical plaster ceiling
Old Friars. Site of Friars Observant, 1687 part of site of the Friars. Henry VII cellars. Addition 1735 for a private theatre.   A rainwater head- survives. The house is of two and a half storeys, five and a half bays wide The first windows on the floors are extremely slender, a motif typical of c.1700-10 Excellent wrought-iron gate. Attached little recesses 1735-40 which was used as an assembly room Rusticated Venetian window to the back and to the front an anomaly of a Venetian window which is quadripartite by having the arched middle part doubled.
Old Palace, This is a Gothic castellated pastiche of the 1740s. part of the Tudor brick buildings on the outer wall of the palace remain int h parts nearest the gate
Old Palace Terrace. Six identical 18th houses. With identical doorways straight hoods on carved brackets. In the middle pairs the doorways adjoin. Each house of three bays, with two storeys over a basement. Rebuilt as their own offices by Darbourne & Darke, 1981; 2 restored by the same firm.
Old Palace Place of c-1700 is seven bay with pedimented door case with carved brackets. Remains of Tudor wall paintings have been discovered, so the house must incorporate older fabric. The house was restored for Sir Kenneth Clark by Wellesley & Wills in 1928 after being divided in two, and subdivided again in 1982-3
Palace Gate House a c17 staircase with cut-out balusters. At the back, a small stair-turret is probably original.
Paved Court. With early 19th shop fronts – including The Lion and the Unicorn, childrens' bookshop.  Also The Open Book shop.
Pembroke House, previously Fitzwilliam House, demolition of about 1854.
Portland Terrace. Bland in contrast to surroundings. Two palatial Italianate stucco pairs
Prince's Head
Queensberry House 
Red Cross Hospital in the First World War.
Tudor House.
Tudor Place Honour of Caroline of Anspach Princess of Wales. An excellent entirely uniform terrace of three houses. Brick vertical facing between the doors with Roman and metope friezes. Fine wrought-iron gates and railings and brick piers topped by balls.
Wentworth House. Which was drastically modernized by Laxton c. 1858.
Richmond Theatre 1899 by Frank Matcham. Designed in total neglect of any Georgian responsibilities. Red brick and brown terracotta. Plenty of ornament. Two symmetrical turrets with copper-covered cupolas.
Public Library. Richmond was the first local authority to adopt the Libraries Act. In the London area. It has cast-iron columns inside and gas lamp posts outside.1879-81 by F. S. Brunton
Richmond Road
Richmond Lodge was home of George II deer park was the grounds. Park House demolished.
White Hart Hotel 
Richmond Athletic Ground RFC
lock cottage
St. Margaret's ferry steps.  Closed when Twickenham Bridge was opened,              


Popular posts from this blog

Bromley by Bow

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town