Kentish Town

    This post has not been finished, is not edited or checked

Post to the east Holloway Road

Anson Road

Victorian vernacular. More densely built up, has large, varied examples,

24, 26, 40, 44, 48 Truefit houses. Detached and semi-detached in both Gothic resemble Truefitt's Villa Careno, a design illustrated in the Building News in 1866.  

Archibald Road

Belmore Lane

Brecknock Road,

Brecknock name of the Camden family's seat.  New London County Council flats of 1938 where previously villas were.  They had been 'very pleasant'.

Hilldrop Estate Greater London Council, 1930s onwards. 

142 Brecknock Studios

Carleton Road

Spaciously laid out

College Gardens, site of Queen's College

South Side

Penderyn Way

Trecastle Way

St George's Church and its successor Truefitt

Celia Road

Clarence Way

Holy Trinity, 1849-50 by T.H. Wyatt & Brandon. - the spire was destroyed in the Second World War.

Corinne Road

Crayford Road

St.George's Church. 1865 .

Dalmeny Avenue

Dalmeny Road

All Saints

Falkland Road

Was Assembly House Lane.  Flats. A back lane with cottages now having a landscaped setting

Fortess Grove

Fortess Road

Widened 1891-5. Turnpike road on line of old lane.  Name comes from 3 acres of Fortys Field, which were left as a charity to the town by Eleanor Palmer.  Now administered by Fortys Field HA and part of the site is a school which is called after her

56 Ford Maddox Brown 1821-1893. Plaque says 'painter, lived here'. 

Church was RC became Methodist

Fire station 1883 very nice neo-Gothic

Post Office, late c19th with shaped gable and pretty mosaic panel

Tufnell Park Station.  22nd June      1907. Between Archway and Kentish Town on the Northern Line Built on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway. With yellow ochre as its distinguishing colours.  Designed by Leslie Green. Frontage with rows of large arches; ox-blood faience outside, cream- and brown-tiled inside with handsome lettering. Two pretty wrought-iron lamps outside the entrance. Well-preserved example of former Great Northern, Piccadilly and Brompton Railway Company stations.  Ticket hall was remodelled in 1987 otherwise the original station is intact although some entrances and shop fronts have been changed. Original clock.

Green Street?

Top end of Kentish Town Road and bottom end of Highgate Road, is the part known as 'The Grove' - eighteenth century romanticism

Hilldrop Crescent

39 Crippen's house is Margaret Bondfield flats

Hilldrop Lane

Hilldrop Road

Holloway School

Hugo Road

Islip Street

Christ Church, Oxford estate in the eighteenth century, therefore Oxford name. .

School is a rebuilt National School.  Still there with a bell on top;

Kentish Town

Probably named for an ‘estate held by man called Le Kentish'  - ‘Kentisston’ 1208, ‘Cantistun’ c. 1200, ‘La Kentishton’ 1294, ‘Kentisshow’ 1488.  The meaning of the surname is ‘man of Kent'.

Periscopic Prism Co., 1918, 44% staff skilled males, making Medical equipment optical gauge instruments

Gordon House.  Boys school 1812.  Owner died of apoplexy in the middle of a lesson.  The house was owned by Nelson's uncle, J.Sudbury.  In 1871 Waterlow bought it and leased it on the cheap to Barts for convalescents, and then gave it to the London County Council.  Fire in 1963

St. John's Park House School, French

The Gothic, site of Chomondly House

Emmanuel Hospital for the blind, an old house which was burnt down, insurance job, called the Ruin

Target Cottage and Baron de Berenger, shooting next door's ducks

Kentish Town Road

Old name was Old Chapel Path. Several wealthy citizens of London had their 'suburban homes' along its banks. One of these was William Clulow, a solicitor and attorney, of Chancery Lane, who occupied a house here. He was Wesley’s legal advisor.

Kentish Town Station. 1867. Between West Hampstead and Kings Cross Thameslink on the Thameslink Line. Between Tufnel Park and Camden Town on the Northern Line. Original Station opened in 1867, on Hampstead Junction Railway in 1860 line from Old Oak Common to Camden Road.  Later part of the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway on their Highgate section, so the underground station was opened on 22nd June 1907 in the distinctive house style which Leslie W. Green used for stations in Charles Yerkes's Underground Group. They have characteristic ox-blood glazed tiles and bold arches incorporating a mezzanine office floor. Escalators installed in place of the lifts in 1932. Ticket hall remodelled in 1980 to serve both the underground and the main line railway. The original ticket hall building and tiling at below ground remains intact.  Much of the ground floor though is infilled with garish shops. Lift portals remain below ground. Original clocks with ornate brackets.

Former Kentish Town Station, Midland Railway. At the entrance, a platform canopy c. 1890, re-erected from another station on the line. Fragments of the engine shed of the 1860s

Lady Margaret Road

Our Lady Help of the Christians.  Was Lady Margaret Methodist Church by John Tarring 1865 became RC. 

1b Richard Burton House. Richard Burton for himself - urban infill in a Victorian area in an end-of- terrace brownfield garden plot. 

2a for Richard Burton architect of ABK. Provides an individualistic interlude, with a slightly Chinese circular doorway next to a tree, and a steeply angled studio roof. 

Leighton Crescent

Flats A gap in the late c19 villas is filled by a block of maisonettes and flats for Camden by E. Cullinan, P. Tabor, M. Beedle & M. Chassay, 1974-9- 

Leighton Place

Leighton Road

An old thoroughfare. Starts with haphazard early c19 development. Stretches of small terraces.

30 is a lively Edwardian former Sorting Office 1903.

Soup kitchen/dispensary 1860s

St.Margaret's Hospital Transferred from Metropolitan Asylums Board to London County Council

Evans Place, later Gloucester Place, name of livery stable owner who built them

Bridge Wharf garage was used as a garage for private buses in the street.

City Coach Depot. service was from Kentish Town to Southend-on-Sea.

Bower Cottage, later Outdoor Relieving Station and then a nursery, in front was Methodist Chapel

Evangelical Lutheran Church

Leverton Place

Leverton Street


Lupton Street

St.Benet and All Saints.  1908-1927 style similar to certain school chapels.  Built by C. G. Hare and extensions by Peacock.  Two lights by Burne-Jones, the Building of the Temple, 1863, brought from Kentish Town Parish Church. 

Maiden Lane?

New River Co. reservoirs 15 m gall.  Off Dartmouth Hill

Peckwater Street

Christ Church, Oxford estate in the eighteenth century therefore Oxford name, street demolished after 2nd World War

Pleshey Road

Railway line

Out of King's Cross goes on high ground between the valleys of the Fleet and Hackney Brook

Rowstock Gardens

Neat mixed development c. 1960, low terraces and two point blocks set lozenge-wise to the road

St.George's Avenue

Victorian vernacular

Torriano Avenue

Called after Joshua Prole Torriano who owned the land. His real name was Cox.

LCC Board School

Torriano Cottages

Unexpectedly rural

Tufnell Park

Secluded, residential Tufnell Park is bounded by Camden, Brecknock and Tufnell Park Roads.  Plans to develop it with varied, superior residences were made c. 1840 by John Shaw Jun., who had laid out part of the Eton Estate at Chalk Farm.  Shaw's scheme foundered, presumably at the death of the owner, Henry Tufhell, in 1845.  Almost all that was achieved was the laying out of the pleasantly winding Carleton Road. Eventually higher-density development was carried out from the 1860s, under George Truefitt, surveyor to the estate 1865-90. He is supposed to have designed many of the villas, although the one that can certainly be identified lies just outside Tufhell area proper, and predate his surveyorship. Asymmetrical features

Camden Road New Church converted to Islington Arts Factory. 1873 by Edward Cosh for the Swedenborgians.  Unexceptional.  Decorated in Kentish rag.  Brick lecture hall etc. extended 1908 by Ernest Trobridge, himself a Swedenborgian

Tufnell Park Estate

London County Council flats five acres under 1937 CPO.

Willington Close


Popular posts from this blog

South Norwood

River Lea/Bow Creek Canning Town

Bromley by Bow