This post is not finished it has not been edited or checked
Post to the west West Hendon The Hyde
St. John the Evangelist. 1895. An early work by
Temple Moore, 1895-6. Interior modelled on
Austin Friars Church in the City. pulpit 1760 from St Michael Bassishaw.
wooden reredos are from St George, Botolph Lane, installed there in 1673, moved
here 1909. Vestry panelling
also from City churches.
Vicarage. 1900 is also by Moore alas, reglazed in front.
Brent signal box
Pivotal, enormous, surrounded by loose compositions of meagre, thinly stretched Georgian motifs, facing the Underground station and a cinema of 1932
Gaumont/Classic Cinema. Classic acquired forty-nine cinemas from Rank in December 1967 and renamed them and the company invested heavily in the former Gaumont at Hendon Central. A luxury lounge policy was created in the stalls and live shows ncluded the Jewish revue Goldberg and Solomon Go Kosher for a six- day run which proved so popular that it was returned a month later for a further six days. The Syd Lawrence Orchestra was a sell-out. Miss Libby Morris in her solo revue As Dorothy Parker Once Said, Those Were the Days, starring Reg Dixon, Cavan O'Conner, Adelaide Hall and the king of jazz, Nat Gonella, played for six days. The controversial late nighter, Alex Sanders' White Witch Show, not only created an avalanche of national and local publicity but it nearly caused a riot by the capacity audience. Wrestling was also presented with top names - Mick McManus, Steve Logan, the St. Clair brothers and Jumping Jim Hussey. female front-of-house staff wore a black lace top and black leather miniskirt, with black knee-high boots. In February 1971, following a £72,000 conversion scheme, the Hendon Classic became a three-screen show- piece without the loss of a single evening show In 1977, the actor John Forgeham read extracts from the Bible from the stage of Screen One to a near capacity audience for a two-hour performance. Throughout the Seventies, this Classic was the focus of meetings, training and prize-giving ceremonies .including late night shows on Friday and Saturday with an all-night horror show once a month.
The Hospital was demolished in 1992. The site now contains the Grovemead Health Centre at 67 Elliot Road.
Tilley Lamps Co went to Ulster
Standard Telephones early specialised research plant
Park Mansions Arcade
Shopping centre between Vivian Avenue and Queen's Road.
Montague Road Board School. Four were opened in 1901 the Hendon School Board was formed only in 1897, delayed by Anglican opposition. A pretty design with central shaped gable, and pargetted dormers.
Hendon Central Station. 19th November 1923. Between Colindale and Brent Cross on the Northern Line. Opened on the Charing Cross, Euston and Hampstead Railway Opened as an extension from Golder's Green. Built as a neo Georgian design by S.A.Hea with an elegant shopping parade around it. Hendon Central forms the North East quadrant of the composition of Central Circus with eight white stone pillars outside the entrance to the station. There were plans for the area already in 1912, but building only took off after work on the railway began in 1922.
The Grove 16th century or 17th panelling
Rising Sun Inn 17th
Ambassador Cinema. Gaumont Cinema . Crompton organ installed 1932.
Signal Box went out of use on completion of re-signalling scheme in 1983. typical Midland Railway style - "triangular" inserts in top of windous, and many retain Midland Railway style finials on roof ends. accessible by public footpath from Aerodrome Road,
Hendon Station. 1868 Between Mill Hill Broadway and Cricklewood on the Thameslink Line. Built by the Midland Railway but such features as remained after the M1 was built have disappeared under electrification works.
Signal Box went out of use on completion of re-signalling scheme in 1983. Typical Midland Railway style - "triangular" inserts in top of windows, and many retain Midland Railway style finials on roof ends. Visible from station.